Marriage...is there any hope?

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Dammit Cesar.

Now I want that stuff. I'm gonna have to go broke for this *kitten*.

Yep. I think I'm just going to select segments of the whole traditional matrimonial process and go from there. Do the engagement photos thing, and then maybe bring a 'wedding cake' to a pre-existing family dinner.

I couldn't give two sh*ts about photographs XD I figured a BBQ would be enough, I guess adding a cake to that would be cool.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    www.whengeekswed.com

I can't access the link from work... can anyone find one with my favorite geek proposal...

"Equivalent Exchange... I'll give half of my life to you, and you give half of yours to me!"

saw it on an episode of fullmetal alchemist and it's always stuck with me
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    I don't think it's silly to get married... but I do think the notion that it's suppose to be a commitment for life is.

Help me understand this... what's the point of getting married if it's not a life commitment? What other value does one get out of being married? I thought the "committed for life" thing was pretty much it, and event hat doesn't require marriage in the minds of most people today.
    Not silly but people need to realize it isn't something it is disposable

This, to me, is the crux of the problem. People view marriage as disposable and unimportant. Thus, they aren't motivated to choose wisely (someone who is compatible**) or to nurture the relationship. They allow themselves to grow apart*** rather than consciously choose to grow together.

** Tips for choosing someone compatible: "Choosing the Right One to Marry" parts one and two: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5068a_qa.html and http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5068b_qa.html

*** According to several marriage websites I follow, one of the biggest risks of marriage is growing apart. The concept that we can CHOOSE to grow together rather than just letting life happen to cause us to grow apart. This link takes you to things you can do to prevent this: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5520_qa.html
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    I have yet to meet people who regard their marriages as disposable or temporary.

I see people in dysfunctional relationships that need to end for the health of those people in them and the children whose parenting otherwise suffers.

I see people who are unable to cope with life resorting to any means possible to block out their emotions (drink, drugs sex) rather than dealing with the root cause (themselves) and destroying relationships in the proccess.

I see people who don't know themselves, never mind the person they just married, who have poor relationship skills and no way of improving them.

I see people scared to be vulnerable who never emotionally commit to another person (marriage or no marriage).

I see people in all the categories above overcome these problems if they have sufficient honesty and courage, usually through learning from their experiences (which will sometimes involve a series of relationships).
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    I don't think it's silly to get married... but I do think the notion that it's suppose to be a commitment for life is.

Help me understand this... what's the point of getting married if it's not a life commitment? What other value does one get out of being married? I thought the "committed for life" thing was pretty much it, and event hat doesn't require marriage in the minds of most people today.

The commitment was the original point of getting married... I don't think it works with life/society today. For proof look at divorce rates.

So I guess the point of getting married now like many things is: It's just what people do.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member

The commitment was the original point of getting married... I don't think it works with life/society today. For proof look at divorce rates.

So I guess the point of getting married now like many things is: It's just what people do.

Tax benefits, get to throw a party and get gifts, be the center of attention... those seem to be the point of getting married these days.

ETA: see laughable B movie "My Fake Fiance"
  • LaurenRosePR
    LaurenRosePR Posts: 84 Member
    I understand your concern!

And honestly, I'm struggling with it myself. I broke up with boyfriend who kept mentioning getting married for the longest time (together four years) and after a while, I got tired of hearing the 'idea' and not seeing any action and compromising my views.

There were so many issues that he felt like marriage would "fix"... AKA not feeling guilty about having sex before marriage and not living together before marriage. I don't see marriage as a solution to those types of problems, though. I just varied differently with his opinions of what's right and wrong and didn't feel as "old school" as him.

This made me realize I'm not ready for marriage, and I don't know how I feel about it anymore. My thoughts of it being a glamorous, romantic ordeal have changed to looking around at friend's weddings and wondering how they are so content with getting settled down so quick.

I want more for my life and am career-focused right now. Maybe it's selfish but whatever is supposed to happen will.

Turns out he picked out a ring two days before we broke up. Talk about timing!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    There were so many issues that he felt like marriage would "fix"... AKA not feeling guilty about having sex before marriage and not living together before marriage. I don't see marriage as a solution to those types of problems, though.

I so agree.

There was this girl I went to college with, and she was very religious, and she got married at 19, probably just because she and her BF wanted to live together and have sex. I get waiting, that is fine, but don't rush into marriage just so you can get lucky you know? It's a bigger commitment than that. Either be comfortable with waiting, or don't wait, but don't feel uncomfortable with waiting.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    There were so many issues that he felt like marriage would "fix"... AKA not feeling guilty about having sex before marriage and not living together before marriage. I don't see marriage as a solution to those types of problems, though.

I so agree.

There was this girl I went to college with, and she was very religious, and she got married at 19, probably just because she and her BF wanted to live together and have sex. I get waiting, that is fine, but don't rush into marriage just so you can get lucky you know? It's a bigger commitment than that. Either be comfortable with waiting, or don't wait, but don't feel uncomfortable with waiting.

This is funny because while I was teaching at Texas A&M, there were 5 or 6 times when 18 to 20-year-old women came up to me to make sure I changed their last name on my class roster due to their recent marriage. The only reason I could think that so many would marry so young was to have sex without the guilt.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member

I so agree.

This is funny because while I was teaching at Texas A&M, there were 5 or 6 times when 18 to 20-year-old women came up to me to make sure I changed their last name on my class roster due to their recent marriage. The only reason I could think that so many would marry so young was to have sex without the guilt.

You made me think of something, Dave... When dealing with young college students, keep in mind that one of the few ways one can get declared independent and therefore free of the financial burden of your parents income on federal aid is to get married. Two young married college students have a huge advantage when it comes to free and discounted aid to pay for their education. When I was working in the administration desk at the community college, I had more than one individual tell me they 'got hitched' so they could qualify for the pell grant.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member

I so agree.

You made me think of something, Dave... When dealing with young college students, keep in mind that one of the few ways one can get declared independent and therefore free of the financial burden of your parents income on federal aid is to get married. Two young married college students have a huge advantage when it comes to free and discounted aid to pay for their education. When I was working in the administration desk at the community college, I had more than one individual tell me they 'got hitched' so they could qualify for the pell grant.

I guess that could have been the motivation but Texas A&M was extremely conservative and religious. I had several students with email addresses like praise4jesus and whatnot when I was there. Also, I once gave students a writing assigment to choose one of five articles and summarize and detail the economic issues in it. One of the articles had to do with budget cuts from the federal government affecting subsidies for birth control on college campuses. I chose the article because it featured Texas A&M and had several quotes from the university's director student health services. On top of 2 or 3 complaints to the department about giving that article as a choice, I had several students who wrote about that article with opinions that the subsidies should be suspended because they created an incentive to have sex (in wedlock or out) for purposes other than procreation. .
  • TheKitsune6

I so agree.

I have klnown several people that have done this. Though they never changed their names. Too complicated.
  • TheKitsune6
    I guess that could have been the motivation but Texas A&M was extremely conservative and religious. I had several students with email addresses like praise4jesus and whatnot when I was there. Also, I once gave students a writing assigment to choose one of five articles and summarize and detail the economic issues in it. One of the articles had to do with budget cuts from the federal government affecting subsidies for birth control on college campuses. I chose the article because it featured Texas A&M and had several quotes from the university's director student health services. On top of 2 or 3 complaints to the department about giving that article as a choice, I had several students who wrote about that article with opinions that the subsidies should be suspended because they created an incentive to have sex (in wedlock or out) for purposes other than procreation. .

Because zealots are never hypocrites.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Want kids? Get married when you start actually trying. You owe them a stable environment.

Otherwise - why? The financial reasons FOR marriage are greatly overshadowed by the financial risks of a marriage ending.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    I think that rushing into marriage because you want a wedding and society says you should be married and making babies by a certain time so you just pick someone and start doing those things is unwise.

I think it could stifle personal development and lead to giving up.

I think it's unfair to judge people who change after they are married as well.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Personally here is my opinion......Yes there is hope. My wife is my best friend. I can't imagine my life without her.......Do we ever argue/disagree? Of course we do......but we talk about it and we work it out. Too many people look for the easy road......When things get rough at all they try to get out. walk away from the situation........The least they could do is break it off with their partner first but no.....they cheat on them.......Frankly I think it's ridiculous. If people are mature enough to get married they should know what it involves and take their vows seriously. I am not going to say everyone should stay together forever......I am sure some people grow apart and can't work things out.........but if that's the case......try to work it out first......and at the very least break it off with the person before you go out screwing around.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Yes, marriage is silly. But so are a lot of other things people do. I won't participate in a lot of those things either, though.
  • yoovie

Sometimes people are supposed to be your partner for a certain sizeable portion of your life. Sometimes it's from 20 to 100. Sometimes it's from 19 to 30. Sometimes it's from 30 to 50. Why? Because we dont stay the same person and have static needs for the rest of our lives.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Do I believe in two people spending their whole lives together? I do.
    What I don’t believe in is having a huge wedding that you’ll be working your butt off to pay for years after the actual ceremony. Why do you need to get in debt to validate you relationship? If you need a bank loan for it, you can’t afford it.

A marriage certificate, as you can see, does not mean a whole lot anyways when the people are not meant to be together. Just like not having a marriage certificate doesn't mean anything when 2 people actually want to spend their lives together.
  • yoovie
    Personally here is my opinion......Yes there is hope. My wife is my best friend. I can't imagine my life without her.......Do we ever argue/disagree? Of course we do......but we talk about it and we work it out. Too many people look for the easy road......When things get rough at all they try to get out. walk away from the situation........The least they could do is break it off with their partner first but no.....they cheat on them.......Frankly I think it's ridiculous. If people are mature enough to get married they should know what it involves and take their vows seriously. I am not going to say everyone should stay together forever......I am sure some people grow apart and can't work things out.........but if that's the case......try to work it out first......and at the very least break it off with the person before you go out screwing around.

If only everyone was ready for marriage when they got married right? There's so much pressure from parents, family and society to hurry up and get married or youre a failure, that people bend under pressure and hurry up and fall in line.

I dont think thats a good reason to get married.

When I get married I hope that I will have someone by my side that is also always changing. If I marry someone and they stop being the person that I fell in love with and start being someone else and im all alone again AND trapped in a marriage - I'd be scared. like actually, trapped scared and not sure what to do, how to go about fixing it and making anything better without hurting anyone. So should I stay quiet and hope he comes around again after a few years and just forget about my needs or... what? what if i talk to him and he doesnt care?