Extreme Rash/Hives Autoimmune

Options
bradthemedic
bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
Hey everyone. I realize this isn't weight related but maybe you have experience this and can help.

Starting after puberty, every few years I would develop a really bad rash/hives that would come on our of nowhere and take over my entire body within hours. I'd be very itchy and hot. I go to the doctor and they always give me a cortisone injection and prendizone for a cycle and it goes away.... for a few years.

It's a cycle. Yesterday I noticed I was getting it again - so I took some anti histamines which as always had no effect. I went to the walk in clinic this morning and the doctor immediately recognized it and said it was an autoimmune response and suggested it was due to me just going on desiccated thyroid about 10 days ago.

After doing a lot of reading it looks like those with Hashimoto's when they exerience a normalizing of the TSH/ and a spike in T3/T4 the body goes haywire and attacks the thyroid.

What I'd like to know is if you'd experienced this and if so what have you done to correct/solve it? I don't mind getting the injections and steroids but my fear is now that I am on steady medication to solve my TSH and testosterone problem that my body will create a habit out of this. Going off of Thyroid isn't an option at this point.

Thanks for your feedback!

Replies

• kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi Brad - I was so happy to read that you were able to try desiccated thyroid meds and I hope they make you feel better.

I haven't had a rash, per se, but I've had nodules 3 times now. About a month or two before the nodules popped up each time, I've had some sort of immune system flare up... Swollen lymph nodes in my neck and armpits (so painful once I was unable to lift my arms or get dressed without assistance for two weeks), sore throat, achy feeling all over (without fever). Then, the skin on my torso kind of... molted/peeled off (so disgusting) each time. Then, the nodules appear and eventually go away. I've not been able to stop this from happening - my doctor was kind of baffled as to what was going on both times I was able to get in and talk to her about it...

Following this, I have felt pretty good - I find that interesting that it may be related to a normalizing of TSH. That makes sense to me. :-)
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Have you tried going gluten free? Almost all of my skin and joint pain issues have resolved since stopping the gluten.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Have you tried going gluten free? Almost all of my skin and joint pain issues have resolved since stopping the gluten.

I am entirely gluten free - have been for around..... 4 weeks now. Unfortunately this seems to be a lot more than food or contact related.
  • cjaaron
    cjaaron Posts: 20
    Options
    I was recently diag with Hashimoto’s after +20 years of continued dosage adjustments. Hashi is an autoimmune thyroid disorder. Fist I gave up gluten and that helped with some of the pain and all of y stomach upset. After recently discovering that I was in the middle of autoimmune attack (both tested antibodies where >2,000), I discovered suggested suppliments and anti-inflammatory diet discussion. I have started taking supplements and MOSTLY only eating from anti-inflammatory foods. I am having good luck with greater reduction in pain and bloating by eating an anti-inflammatory diet. I feel that the anti-inflammatory foods jump started my very recent weight loss.

Here is a link to an anti-inflammatory foods shopping list http://www.drjeffreytucker.com/Nutrition/anti-inflammatory_diet.pdf

Good luck Brad!
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    I haven't experienced hives, but I did have the redness and extreme itching on my neck and face. The more you scratch, the worse it gets. Every few years it chooses a new spot. I had this along with the usual hypothyroid probs going on. During the latest episode, I was told that it was prob due mostly to stress, but also could be caused by adrenal fatigue (took saliva test to confirm). I was started on a low dose of cortisone to correct it and so far *knocks on wood* it is helping. However, I don't know if this new Rx will be a life long thing or temporary. I plan to find that out at next appt.

Have you noticed a pattern of when it happens (like a stressful event or a certain food)?
    Hope you find some relief.