% body fat

Options
Therealobi1
Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
Hiyah,

just have a query regarding body fat %.
on the 08/01/13 i weighed my self at the chemist it said said 93.9kg bmi 30.7 body fat 37%
today it 82.5kg - bmi 27.6 body fat 32.5%

it just seems like a very small loss in body fat, so just wanted to understand what i need to do to increase the rate of body fat loss please?

It just seems to me then if i lose another 2 stones, i will still be stuck with a high body fat % which i dont want.

Replies

• xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy - Starting Strength, Strong Lifts 5x5. Eat 1g protein per lb of lean body mass per day

Those will make sure you maintain as much muscle mass as possible while dropping fat.

ETA: Oops, just spotted this is ETP. I'll shut up and let SideSteel or Sara answer.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    First of all, those scales are incredibly inaccurate and should be taken with a grain of salt. I did a write up here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/830595-body-fat-estimation-methods Read the section about BIAs.

As the poster above mentioned, make sure you incorporate some strength training to maintain LBM. when you lose weight so the weight you lose is fat and not also muscle. You do not actually need to 'lift heavy', just include a strength training routine that includes progressive overload in it. However, something like StrongLifts is a great program for that.

Also, as noted make sure you have your macros sorted out so you get enough protein.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    first agreed they are inaccurate, but seconfly look at what your results mean
    weight BF% Fat Mass in Kg
    93.9 37 34.743
    82.5 32.5 26.8125
    11.4 7.9305

7.9305kg lost of fat out of 11.4kg lost and you can easily lose 2kg in stored water weight, and unfortunately muscle loss can happen.
    may not be super accurate but proves your heade din the right direction. maybe just do a little more strength training, to prevent muscle loss.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Also, to add on to the above post, even though those devices are inaccurate. LBM includes everything not fat. This includes water, muscle, organs, connective tissue, food and liquids in your system, bone etc etc. When you lose fat you also have less of a lot of other things that supply the fat which theoretically should be included in your LBM - so it will decrease also.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    hiyah, thanks for responding back so quickly.

I am not in the position at the moment to join the gym, but i do have a 12kg kettle bell which i use twice a week. is this sufficient? I started off with 5kg which is now too light. I am still struggling with the 12kg, but as soon as its too light again will keep moving up. Is this what you mean by progress overload?

The rest of my program (via fitness blender.com) is either with the use of dumbells or using my body weight(which is heavy). Then once a week I go to a spinning class.

I can see my body is slowly changing for the best, and others have started to notice, but the body fat thing kind of threw me abit this morning.

Hope this is not too cheeky, but opened up my diary to see if the protein I eat looks ok to you. I am trying to keep life simple but willing to change it up.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yup yup definitely building up your real honest to god 100% effort required to move the thing type of strength training.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    To add to the above posts, "non-fat mass" went from 59.2 to 55.7 kg, a loss of 3.5 kg out of a total loss of 11.4 kg (7.7 pounds of lost lean mass out of a total loss of 25.1 pounds). 30% of your lost mass has been non-fat mass while 70% has been fat mass.

As noted, that's not that bad, but you will see better ratios (on the order of 90-95% lost mass being fat) if you begin a good full-body lifting routine.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options

As noted, that's not that bad, but you will see better ratios (on the order of 90-95% lost mass being fat) if you begin a good full-body lifting routine.

Is there a citation for that please? Not because I don't believe you, but because if I'm going to use that numbers to evangelise about why Lifting Is Awesome, I need to be able to back it up.