quickie question

Options
Hiya

Today ive input my day into MFP and its telling me that ive eaten 1605 calories (slightly over my TDEE - 20% of 1590 but not bothered as working my way up to TDEE -15% anyway).
MFP exercise is showing 426 cals burned which is giving me a net of 1179 calories today - this is way below my BMR of 1430. Am I supposed to make up the difference of 250ish calories??? Believe me it wont be a problem...lol although I thought that I wasnt supposed to eat back exercise calories using this method? But seeing the net calories has confused me slightly !

I know MFP tends to exaggerate calories burned - I have just ordered a HRM to wear during exercise to get a better idea on this.

I have my exercise set at light (2x1hr sessions with a PT per week - mainly lifting with a little HIIT thrown in and then an hours cardio on my own once a week - but the weekend cardio can be hit and miss depending on what else I have planned at weekends - the rest of the time I do no exercise - desk job etc). Was I correct to use "light" - im not sure im a moderate???

Sorry for the dumb questions - I just want to make sure I am getting this right from the start.

Replies

• aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Since you're using MFP estimations I'm not sure, but with the tdee method if you're constantly netting your bmr after exercise then you either miscalculated your activity level or your deficit is too big. But yes always net at or above bmr when exercising.
  • Sonic_1971
    Options
    Thank you. Once my HRM arrives hopefully it will be more accurate and I can recalculate as necessary.

:)
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your deficit might be too big.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Once my HRM arrives hopefully it will be more accurate and I can recalculate as necessary.

:)

The HRM will only be valid for your hr of cardio on your own.

HRM calorie burn is not valid formula for non-steady-state anaerobic exercise, which is exactly what lifting and intervals (probably not HIIT) is.

So it will actually be inflated for your main activities, don't even worry about wearing it then.

MFP estimate of lifting is small and mainly correct, use it.

Your activity level may be correct if all your other time is really sedentary desk job, and long drive to/from work, and bump on a log in the evenings.
    If that is not true, you need to round up to probably TDEE of 2000, then take deficit, agree on 15% at that time.

Since you only exercise 3 x a week, your rest days eating same as workout days will balance out with 48 hrs, don't worry about the NET. Which is assuming the burn amount is dead on correct, which it rarely is. Besides, you could find some 24 hr period where you aren't eating at your BMR for that time anyway, besides which your BMR varies throughout the day, and for you, throughout the month.

Also, you won't need to worry about calorie burn on these things if you select the right activity level.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    i think you are supposed to log only 1 calorie for workouts since your TDEE - % already takes your activity level into consideration.