Cardio and Stronglifts Program

Options
KimPratt222
KimPratt222 Posts: 36 Member
Does anyone do cardio on their Stronglifts days? Or on their rest days? I have a dog that really needs exercise and I love to run sprints with her. We go for 30 seconds on, 30 off, for about 15 minutes. I just started stronglifts, so my weights are light at this point. I have a feeeling I will not be sprinting after my weight increases more and more!

Should I just walk fast instead? I don't want to hurt my potential for muscle growth while doing stronglifts.

Any advice?

Replies

• xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I used to, when I was training for a triathlon. Nexangelus is just picking up her training for a tri too.

Eventually doing both (at all, never mind which day) will limit your progress in both. I found it easier to do cardio first (because I ran for 6 months before I started lifting and my CV endurance is good at low-med intensity) so I was used to the cardio, but there are others who find it easier to lift first. I'd say since you've just started SL and you're used to the sprints, keep going until you find you can't.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I used to, when I was training for a triathlon. Nexangelus is just picking up her training for a tri too.

Eventually doing both (at all, never mind which day) will limit your progress in both. I found it easier to do cardio first (because I ran for 6 months before I started lifting and my CV endurance is good at low-med intensity) so I was used to the cardio, but there are others who find it easier to lift first. I'd say since you've just started SL and you're used to the sprints, keep going until you find you can't.

i agree...for me neither will be the best they could be. but i've decided that is okay with me. i LOVE running...i need it to stay sane. but i also know my body needs heavy lifting for health and of course vanity reasons. at first it was easy to do both but then i had to drop some running as the weight increased...so lifting took priority while i tried to build a little muscle. now i'm trying to just keep that muscle so i'm gonna switch my priority back to running, but still lift...i just know my weights won't increase very quickly.

edited to add...i run on off days. tried lifting in the morning, running in evening and my legs were DEAD. and i didnt want to run first b/c i was afraid of injury while lifting on "used" legs.
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am on my second cycle of SL (as in, I've done 12 weeks, and then started again). I walk my energetic labradoodle 4-5 times per week for 20-30 mins (husband does the other days).

Early on, I also did 2 cardio workouts, usually on non-lifting days. I like dvds, so it was usually an athletic style interval cardio workout which lasted 30-45 mins. If I was short on time, I would do a 15 to 20 min hiit instead. I also did at least one day of yoga.

Now, SL is my priority. I do those workouts every single week. And the doggie still gets his walks. But anything on top of that is essentially a "bonus" workout, based on my energy and time.

And since I always hated cardio, I'm quite happy with this. And the results.
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    SL and walking/running my dog are priority. I will do other activities if I have the energy and time.

If you love doing sprints with your dog, and that is a priority for you, go for it and make it fit into your program.

If you find doing SL the same day as sprints is to much, alternate them. If your dog needs something daily, like my high energy dog, maybe only walk on the day you do SL and do the sprints on your off day.

It's all about balancing what is important.

Good luck!
  • KimPratt222
    KimPratt222 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will stick with the sprinting for now after I do my Stronglifts and just see how I feel as time goes on. Putting on muscles is more important to me than running right now, so I might just switch to walking fast. We'll just see how I feel.

Thanks for all the replies.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I was training for another 1/2 marathon recently why doing SL. I ran 3 day and took 1 total day off from running and lifting