QUESTIONS!!!Started Monday April 8th and want to die lol

Options
torismith001
torismith001 Posts: 80 Member
Hey! Tori here! So I started Insanity (just the videos not the diet) this monday and my body HURTS and I have some questions!

1. I'm not fat but I'm definitely a pear shape...is this video going to work for me? I already have a tiny waist I just want my hips to go down XD
2. These past few days I haven't been that hungry. MFP has me on 1360 a day and most of the time i'm only around 1200. Should I eat more for Insanity?
3. Is it ok if I don't do the food that insanity wants? I really like just putting in my calories for MFP. I don't really have time to choose from their specific meals.
4. Is it ok if I rest a lot during the videos? I feel pitiful lol I can't keep up and I get tired and take a LOT of 30 second breaks. During the video I feel like I can't do it and then I'm tired. But after a while I feel like I should've/could've done more. Is there anything that you guys think of during the video to keep you going?

Oh! and here is my starting Stats! DONT LAUGH

Fit test 1

Switch kicks- 79
Power Jacks- 42
Power Knees- 58
Power Jumps- 16
Global- 6
Suicide Jumps- 7
Push Up Jacks- 11
Low Plank Obliques - 29

Weight- 145
Height- 5'9"-5'10" (I know that won't change but just letting you know i'm tall lol

Biceps- 10.5
Chest- 35
Waist- 27
Abdomen- 32
Hips- 40
Thighs- 20
Calf- 14

Replies

• Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Hey! Tori here! So I started Insanity (just the videos not the diet) this monday and my body HURTS and I have some questions!

1. I'm not fat but I'm definitely a pear shape...is this video going to work for me? I already have a tiny waist I just want my hips to go down XD

It will work for any body shape.

2. These past few days I haven't been that hungry. MFP has me on 1360 a day and most of the time i'm only around 1200. Should I eat more for Insanity?

You need to eat MORE with insanity.
    3. Is it ok if I don't do the food that insanity wants? I really like just putting in my calories for MFP. I don't really have time to choose from their specific meals.

You don't need to follow the Insanity meal plan.
    4. Is it ok if I rest a lot during the videos? I feel pitiful lol I can't keep up and I get tired and take a LOT of 30 second breaks. During the video I feel like I can't do it and then I'm tired. But after a while I feel like I should've/could've done more. Is there anything that you guys think of during the video to keep you going?

Take rests when you need to but not for too long.
  • ECR1989
    ECR1989 Posts: 158
    Options
    Basically what microfiber said. You're meant to be feel dead after an insanity workout, that's why it's called insanity ;)

Don't worry so much about the eating plan, but you should def up your calories, no way is what you're eating anywhere near enough. I'm on 2000 and still losing! Do try to eat protein after a workout though, it helps with the pain after.

You'll get results as long as you put the work in. I take breaks too but only for 5 secs then I jump back in again, don't break for too long otherwise you won't really benefit!
  • torismith001
    Options
    where would a god source of protein be? peanut butter? i love peanut butter and i like bananas and almonds...i can't afford all those protein shakes etc lol
  • jeolds
    jeolds Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Don't buy the protein shakes directly. Go to your local Sam's Club or other place that sells it and pick up a bag/container of Whey Protein powder. It comes in Vanilla and Chocolate typically. You can mix it with a glass of milk, water, or juice. Not a fan of it with juice though. Even better, mix a scoop or two with milk and fresh/frozen fruit based on your calorie need and toss it in the blender.. instant smoothie. You can even add it to yogurt.

You will need to up the calories. You also don't need to stop for a break, you can modify a move so you aren't working as hard, but keep moving. A good thing to do is get a heart rate monitor too. Do the fit test for the HRM and it will create your heart zones. Use that as a gauge to see how hard you are working. It is a very objective monitor since you can't fool it. When I first did Insanity I would take the normal break and pause it at the back end of the break if my heart rate wasn't back down. I would wait until it got to the bottom of my working range and then start it back up again. I no longer have to do that as it drops pretty fast now and even under the working range in the time they give you.

The HRM has another plus in that it will track your calories burned. With that, you can have MFP calculate your base metabolic rate, as if you were not exercising, and then add in your workout calories. That will give you a pretty accurate number for what your calories should be. As others have said, my calorie intake is pretty high on a P90X/Insanity hybrid at around 2700 on an Insanity day.

Hope that helps some. There is a lot of information on here in the community forums that will help.
  • bernie79
    bernie79 Posts: 38
    Options
    if you did follow the Elite nutrition you can just put insanity into the food and MFP finds most meals.

Keep going :-)
  • Emmielia
    Emmielia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1700 cals a day and i started on the 8th April.. Im also 5'9 And I felt better after eating more so i upped my cals.
  • torismith001
    Options
    is that 1700 calories without adding in what you burned in insanity?
  • BGoetz93
    BGoetz93 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i think the exact same thing. Im dieing while its going and i take breaks but i try to push myself then after im like i definitely couldve gone harder. im seeing results tho so i think its okay if you do that. i just finished month one. but what i think during the workout is that i wanna look alright in a bathing suit this summer. and i had a baby so im trying to get back into my jeans lol
  • LillyLove28
    Options
    You are going to look amazing when you are done, I looked at you mesurements and you don't need to lose weight, so your muscles are going to shape up really fast. About calories, I put 1400, but I eat all my workout cals, try doing that and see how you feel. If you are still hungry than go up. About protein, the shakes help a lot! There are some good quality ones in the market that aren't all that expensive. But if you really can't go that route, greek yogurt, egg whites, lean meats (chicken breast), quinoa, all kinds of legumes, there are many ways to get the protein. You don't need to follow the meals. Quick tip from an old friend who is a personal trainer, after any intense workout have some easy to digest and absorb protein, like the shakes or greek yogurt. Your muscles will be starving for building material, feed what you want in there, lean protein within 20 min.
    Don't stop the DVD when you take breaks, catch your breath and get back to it, you aren't supposed to stop the workout. Pretend it's a class at the gym, they will keep going with or without you. Jump back in as soon as you can, keep your own pace though. Good Luck
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the best workout program you will find (I have done MANY and this one rocks). I also found the first few days my appetite decreased....it didn't last for long.....by the second month I couldn't get enough food so I upped my calories.

Protein and carbs are super important after these extreme workouts (will prevent the stiffness and exhaustion as both elements will feed and help repair your muscles). If you have a Costco or Sam's membership, get the protein powder there (try for ones that are Whey Isolate....and avoid soy if you can) as they are less expensive then GNC but even they carry some inexpensive brands. Greek Yogurt has high protein (I add that to my smoothie after a workout....with a banana, berries and the powder it's over 55g of protein). Chicken is another great source. I'm quite knowledgeable in nutrition for adolescent athletes (my girls are competitive swimmer/soccer players), feel free to add me if you have any questions!

My beginning stats (now...I'm not a teenager anymore....43 and 2 kids later...that is me in the profile picture)

5'9" and 150lbs

Switch Kicks 50 - 120
    Power Jacks 46 - 56
    Power Knees 66 - 100
    Power Jumps 30 - 40
    Globe Jumps 7 - 11
    Suicides 12 - 17
    Push-up Jacks 14 - 25
    Low Plank Obliques 25 - 36 (counting both sides as one)

The First Fit Test - Last Fit Test

I have started Round 2 of Insanity so back to week 1....feels just as hard as the first time, still needing to take 5 second breaks....but that's ok...just go at your own pace, do what you can!!!

Good luck :)
  • heyitsadam
    heyitsadam Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Oh! and here is my starting Stats! DONT LAUGH

Fit test 1

Switch kicks- 79
    Power Jacks- 42
    Power Knees- 58
    Power Jumps- 16
    Global- 6
    Suicide Jumps- 7
    Push Up Jacks- 11
    Low Plank Obliques - 29

Weight- 145
    Height- 5'9"-5'10" (I know that won't change but just letting you know i'm tall lol

Biceps- 10.5
    Chest- 35
    Waist- 27
    Abdomen- 32
    Hips- 40
    Thighs- 20
    Calf- 14

I tell everyone who does INSANITY - GIVE IT 10 DAYS. If you follow the calendar (assuming you start on a MONDAY) you should start feeling like you are keeping up a little better on the 2nd Wednesday or so. That's when I notices I wasn't breathing so hard after 20 minutes. The breaks got shorter and shorter.

I'm in Week 3 of a my third time through. Please friend me and read my daily INSANITY BLOG.

PS I AM NOT A BEACH BODY COACH AND I AM NOT SELLING ANYTHING. I DO THIS BECAUSE IT'S FUN!!
  • Emmielia
    Emmielia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    is that 1700 calories without adding in what you burned in insanity?

Without adding