Lower end of "healthy" BMI?

Options
wassergottin
wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
Any girls here trying to get to the lowest (or below, perhaps) weight on their BMI? I've got 17 lbs to lose to reach that, and I'm really hoping I can. I was just curious if there are others aiming lower than normal out there and if so, how many calories are you girls eating?

I'm trying to stay below 1250 per day, but I do two super low days a week, sometimes fasting, sometimes just eating less than 500. It's really helped me get off those stubborn lbs last time I hit a plateau.

Replies

• kyleyjo1
    kyleyjo1 Posts: 27
    Options
    It's crazy that I'm right in the middle of the 'healthy' BMI and I need to lose 20 lbs (!!!!) to hit 18.9. I don't NEED to lose ANY weight, but I'm curious as to what it would take to get there and what I would look and feel like... My GW now is 125 and CW is 140 at 5'6.5". But Maybe I will go for 120 just to push myself. 20 just seems like such a crazy number.

What is this 2 day super low cal you are doing? Is that the 5+2 I've seen on here?
  • taylorxpaige
    taylorxpaige Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a BMI of 17.9 (104.4 lbs), and I am working on getting back to my starting BMI of 17.2 (100 lbs). The last few pounds are the hardest to loose. In my personal opinion, while it doesn't produce the fastest results, eating at least 1,200 calories a day is the most beneficial in the long run. Sure, restriction does cause you to shed the weight, but once you resume eating more normal amounts you gain the weight back + some usually. I hit a plateau for quite some time. I started at 112 lbs, and got to 106 and couldn't get the scale to budge for about 2 weeks. I am finally starting to see results. Just keep it up, you'll be able to get there. It just takes some time.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    kyley, I've always enjoyed fasting, and eating low twice a week enables me to have a "binge" day or go over on my normal days without feeling like a failure! It give me some wiggle room. Plus, I'm a bit of an "all or nothing" person, which means I'm more likely to succeed if I cut something out entirely than if I try moderation.

I'm currently 132 lbs at 5'6", but I'd love to be thinner. I'm aiming for 115, which is the bottom of the healthy range for me, but if I get there and want/feel I can get lower, I'll go for 110.

taylorxpaige, That's good to know! I've heard all sorts of things and some of my friends who are very thin don't eat more than 1100 or 900 calories a day depending upon who I am speaking with. I'm definitely hoping to stay around 1200, but I won't freak out as long as it's below 1400. I'm pretty active, too, so that helps. Do you work out a lot?
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My original goal was the weight that I was for most of my teens and 20s. The weight puts me at a BMI of 18.3. I've lost 8 lbs now and I have a BMI of 19.5 and a waist to height ratio of 0.423. These numbers are within healthy limits and I realized recently in looking in the mirror that I'm happy with my body now. Being healthy and happy are the most important things to me. I also recently had a scare where one of my periods lasted 21 days. I run long distance and my doctor told me that it was "due to being underweight from intense exercise." I'm not sure that assessment is so correct since I have a healthy BMI and I only run a few times a week, but just as a precaution I decided to switch to maintenance for a bit especially while training. When losing weight, I stayed under 1450 per day average each week for 6 months straight. I lost the weight slowly and safely without a plateau and even though I had days here and there that I went over, I had no problem meeting my weekly goal.
  • luticiaf
    luticiaf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I, too, am aiming for the lower end of my BMI range. Like some of you, i just want to see what my body is capable of. Those 'healthy' BMI ranges and body fat ranges are so vast, I think it can really give you a sense of complacency. I'm aiming for 19-21% bf, i'm currently at 25.9%, and i'm aiming for 19 BMI (currently at 20.7.)
  • taylorxpaige
    taylorxpaige Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    wassergottin, I do not work out a lot. To be completely honest with you, I have very little motivation to work out. Ever since I was little, I had been fortunate enough to eat whatever I wanted while still maintaining my weight. It wasn't until the last few years, that my metabolism has slowed down and I have gained weight. On days that I do work out usually 34-50 minutes on treadmill (4.0+), I do eat a little bit more than usual, but it all depends upon my hunger level. I do not believe in eating your calories burned back. This is of course a big debate on here, but in my opinion, you're defeating the purpose of working out if you don't produce a deficit. That being said, I think the best advice would be to eat healthy. If you do go over your BMR, then make those healthy calories (fruits, vegetables etc.). I don't think the number is as important as the quality and type of food you are eating (If that makes sense).
  • kirlia
    kirlia Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My original goal weight was based solely on my lowest healthy BMI. I ended up going a little below that but not by much, so my BMIs now in the range of 18-18.5 which I think is still pretty darn healthy, and I'm happy with it :)
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am just a touch below the healthy range with a BMI of 18.2. I got there eating around 1400 calories a day (total - not net), and now maintain on around 2100 with more on the weekends. Doc says I'm healthy as a horse and is proud of my results.

I have seen others here who will swear up and down that you should only shoot for the mid to top of your BMI no matter what, and that obviously is complete horse donkey.
  • cynpony
    cynpony Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weighed somewhere between 120-125 most of my adult life - 5'7.5" - BMI 18 or so. I am 134 and BMI 21 now. My highest weight was ever 142 - that's when I felt energyless and heavy. I know lots of people will scoff at that, but I did. And I love to eat and have always eaten whatever I wanted - but as I got older I was less active and after a surgery last year I quit most activities and really gained weight.

My goal is to get back down to 125 or just under - BMI 18