Tri Gear Recommendations needed

Options
kimpossible471
kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
Ok - I'm looking at doing my first couple of sprint triathlons...

I need to get a wetsuit and a pair of tri shorts - but haven't had any success finding them locally - the specialty shops seem to only carry the really expensive brands. I'm 5'10 and 169lbs and concerned about fit with online ordering. Most gear I've come across so far seems to run really REALLY small.

Any words of wisdom?

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Wetsuit wise you can try on at the local shops and then shop that brand's more value oriented versions online. Really the difference is going to be the quality of neoprene and the thickness. I honestly just went with Xterra due to the fact I had a coupon and we maybe get 2 wetsuit races a year here.

Tri shorts drop the cash or shop places like www.discounttrisupply.com and buy last year's models. I'd say $50 is a minimum for something that is quality.

As far as tri clothing fit. Use the measurements they list on the manufacturer website. They're generally pretty spot on. If you have bike shorts that fit right you can compare the dimensions.
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Try on at your local store, figure out what size you are, and order online. Most places like Amazon allow free return/exchange for a different size.
  • kywh
    kywh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Do any of your local shops rent wetsuits? I'd recommend doing that until you know what you want. Xterra usually has some good sales through active.com and other sites if decide to buy one. If haven't raced in one before, renting is a nice way to see what you like.
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    Do any of your local shops rent wetsuits? I'd recommend doing that until you know what you want. Xterra usually has some good sales through active.com and other sites if decide to buy one. If haven't raced in one before, renting is a nice way to see what you like.

Possibly - I'll look into this.

Here's another question for you all. Full sleeves or sleeveless?
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    That depends on where you live....but if it is not going to be freezing, I think sleeveless is better. I find that in full sleeves I feel like I can't MOVE and it is harder. My hubby went full because he hates any cold, and he is regretting it. I find that after a few minutes, I never notice the cold...no matter how cold it is.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

Statistically full is faster. Period, end of story. Now if you're going to go low end on the wetsuit, which isn't a bad thing, I like sleeveless. Reason being that cheap neoprene isn't that flexible and they tend to be stiff in the shoulders. Sleeveless remedies this issue.
  • Mbuhler
    Mbuhler Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    With regards to sleeves vs sleeveless - it does depend on where you live. The reason I have a wetsuit is because that water is COLD first thing in the season - my first race is in June and we aren't able to get into the lake until late May and that water is freezing! Otherwise I would just be swimming in my swimsuit (which for warmer races, I have). So, if you are going to spend the bucks on a wetsuit and it isn't for the cold water, I just wouldn't necessarily buy one. Otherwise, go sleeves. They do take a bit to get used to b/c of the lack of mobility compared to swimming with free arms so make sure you do a few swims with the wetsuit before your race.

Another tip, do you have any local races coming up before your race? Most races set up booths to sell items at the race. At one of the earlier races last year, I picked up a pair of the previous year's tri shorts for $20!!
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    I'm in wisconsin - so the water can be pretty chilly even into later in season...although I have no intention of doing any that have a great lakes swim. More inland lake stuff. I am really concerned about mobility in the full sleeve ones. I will see if I can find a place to do a rental.

Thank you everyone!!
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi there - Not sure if you're still looking for wetsuit recommendations. But thought I'd chime in just in case. I am a hard to fit size because I'm a very small (short) female triathlete. So I had issues with the local shops in my area as well. I ordered my sleeveless wetsuit from Xterra on their website. You may want to check it out, as I believe they offer a fit guarantee where you can return/exchange it if it does not fit. I'm not 100% sure. I believe you have to pay return shipping. But they also have a sizing chart to help with fit. Mine fits great and it was on sale so I got it at a very reasonable price. And the quality is amazing. I've now used it 4 times in training and once in an Olympic distance tri and I love it! I buy all of my tri gear almost exclusively online because I find a much better selection at much better prices.

Here's their website:
    http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/

Good luck!
  • kywh
    kywh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm in wisconsin - so the water can be pretty chilly even into later in season...although I have no intention of doing any that have a great lakes swim. More inland lake stuff. I am really concerned about mobility in the full sleeve ones. I will see if I can find a place to do a rental.

Thank you everyone!!

I say if you're going to wear a wetsuit--get the sleeves. You get a lot of water inside the suit with the sleeveless--so it doesn't do as great of a job keeping you warm. Also, it will still impact your body position and some aspects of mobility--even if it's sleeveless. If it's not too cold, I say go without the wetsuit! I prefer to have that full range of motion. :) Good luck!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

I personally find that if I am going sleeveless, then just wearing my tri-shorts and top will be enough (less the initial cold shock of jumping in the water). But once I get moving I warm up pretty quickly. Otherwise, if the water is cold enough, sleeves. It's really a personal preference on sleeveless vs sleeves, but I find a wet suit too restricting to begin with, so I rather not use one unless it will be cold enough for one. That said, many people I know have gone sleeveless so they can have more arm movement and like the extra buoyancy from the wet suit. Just make sure you train with whatever you get so you are used to it well before your race....and definitely rent one if you can...they can be an expensive investment if you mainly do tri's in warmer water areas.