New to group with a question

Options
lori7757
lori7757 Posts: 7 Member
Hi, I've been reading all your posts for the past month since i was diagnosed and it's really been helpful. I have a question. When i take my first reading in the morning I can usually tell how by how i feel if it will be good or bad. For instance this morning I felt great and took my sugar reading and it was 123, waited 10 minutes or so and redid it and it was 102. This has happened a few times and I'm wondering which level is correct. I'm trying to get below the 100 level.

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi Lori,

Great question.

There are different possibilities as to why you get different results just to name a few, as no two readings will be exactly the same.

1. Different fingers can produce different results.

2. A few minutes time between tests can also result in variance, as blood sugar levels can change very quickly.

3. Meter not coded correctly. The best way to know if your meter is correct is to use the control solution regularly (recommended use with every new vial of strips).

A 20% variability between meters, or even with the same meter, though frustrating as it is, is considered acceptable by industry standards. If the result falls within the range listed on the back of the test strip vial, or enclosure, it is considered good to go.

Your readings indicate they fall within the 20% range.

Hope this helps to answer your question.

Welcome to the group!
  • lori7757
    lori7757 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. Reading this message board has really been helpful.