Tracking PF exercises on MFP

Options
anniewvfan
anniewvfan Posts: 8 Member
How do you track the gym equipment at Planet Fitness on MFP? The cardiovascular exercises (elliptical, bike, treadmill) are already in MFP as options, but a lot of the weight equipment isn't. Do you add each machine to your exercise list or just forget about it? Has anyone added the equipment in the 30-minute express workout circuit? I wish I could just push a button and "get credit" for doing the 30-minute workout, but I don't think that's an option on MFP (unless I'm missing something).

Replies

• jessmarie1023
    jessmarie1023 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just joined Planet Fitness myself, and I tracked it by my HRM and just lumped it as "gym". Hope that helps!
  • AnnaShakesItUp
    Options
    I would like to know as well.... :( I'm getting readings all over the place and it's not making sense to me!
  • Rachafied
    Options
    I use the Curves Circuit Training work out as my tracker for the 30 minute one at Planet Fitness. I figure it can't be that much different. I also use :
    Stair-treadmill ergometer, general (I just adjust the calories)
    Elliptical Trainer
    Walking, 3.5 mph, uphill

For strength training, I use:
    Bench (Chest) Press, Machine
    Seated Row, Floor, Machine
    Shoulder Press
    Leg Press

I had no clue what the machines are called so I Googled them and that's what I came up with. Hope this helps.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    For the 30-minute express I just use "circuit training".
  • missbazzie
    missbazzie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM when I'm on the elliptical and log that as cardio. But when I'm using the machines for strength, I created my own exercise in MFP called PF Strength. I don't count strength into my calories burned. I don't know if that's right or not; I'd love to hear from someone who knows the answer.
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was wearing a HRM for the 30 min circuit.... but it is true that you can use the circuit training entry.... but like a lot of things, it will not be as accurate as a HRM.
  • carpediem4263
    carpediem4263 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I met with the trainer at my PF today and she said not to use the fitness tracker on MFP, but to only use the food tracker.
  • mep0430
    mep0430 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm all about the HRM, I just don't trust the machine number because everyone is so different. A Polar HRM is (IMO) the best investment if you're offsetting calories burned to your intake.
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I manually put in the weight machines just to keep track of the weight I am using. I remember reading something on MFP that said the reason they don't provide a calorie count for strength training is because there are too many variables. It depends on the weight, age and gender of the person, as well as the number of reps, the intensity and the length of time. Someone lifting 50 pounds slowly and with great difficulty would burn a different amount than someone of the same age, height and weight who was having an easy time with the weight.

I just don't worry about how many calories I burn lifting weights. I only count what I burn in cardio
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    For me, I manually enter in the calories for the cardio equipment. I do NOT hit the "quick start" button... I feel that I get a better calorie burned reading and a better workout by hitting the "cardio" button. You have to enter your age, weight, and target heart rate for it. Yes, you have to hold onto the handles with the heart rate reader, but I want my calories burned log to be as accurate as possible. So I've manually entered in the machines and I change it based on what the machine reads when I'm finished. As far as strength training, I don't enter that in. However, when I do the 30 Minute Express workout room, I log that as circuit training.
  • palmirana
    palmirana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use the Arc trainer (Cybex) a lot and I am glad someone recently added it onto MFP. I think it is fine to use MFP for cardio fitness (I don't track weight training in MFP though I do it every day), however, be sure to add in your weight, age, etc in the machines and use the incorporated HR meter, this will give you a more accurate calorie reading. ALWAYS manually add/edit calories and time on the MFP app, do NOT go with the standard values, because I always find that they are very off (on the high side).