Food and Exericise Diaries

Options
msjames1999
msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
Hello, I am fairly new to the MFP family. I have come across some great success stories. However. when I try to find out exactly what someone is doing to gain so much success on their journey, I quickly learn that he/she does not record their food or activites in MFP. For those of you who do not use the food and/or exercise diaries, why not?

Rose

Replies

• shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    It may not be visible to you if you're not friends, or they choose not to have their diaries public.

Also, every individual will have a different path to their journey - what worked for them, may not work for you, and vice versa.

It could also be that they have stopped logging and are in maintenance - because who wants to track everything for the rest of their lives? I know I don't!

Personally I only log my exercise in the notes section, as I don't necessarily want it adding back calories for me. My fitbit does that, but it's usually minimal.
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Personally I only log my exercise in the notes section, as I don't necessarily want it adding back calories for me. My fitbit does that, but it's usually minimal.

Thats a good idea putting exercise in the notes section, mine always adds on carbs for me and I sometimes go over by accident!

In response to questions about open diaries, mine is open, but only to friends.
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I log everything (I haven't always though). I think though from now on I will always log. It just helps so much. I think this vessel that carries me through my life is worth the little bit of effort it takes. My diary is open to friends.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

Thats a good idea putting exercise in the notes section, mine always adds on carbs for me and I sometimes go over by accident!

The other reason, even though strength training doesn't add calories, is that I don't always do the same weighe/reps for every set, so I can track it better in the Notes. Or if I do my own circuit, so I know exactly what I did (and I don't necessarily burn as many calories as MFP gives for circuit training).

Another idea I've seen others use, is just log 1 minute of exercise so it only adds a few calories back, not a bunch!
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I choose to keep my diary private (even friends can't see it) because then there's no extra pressure of making sure it "looks" perfect vs. being honest about what actually went into my mouth.

I dont use the exercise log because I prefer my Nike + Running app and cant be bothered tracking the exercise in multiple places. :)
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I don't track regularly as my days are mostly the same. I have ate this way off on for almost two years and I have learnt to follow my body's cues. If I eat something or too much of something and feel the need to snack after, I know that it spiked my blood sugars and I try not to repeat the mistake for my body. If I do feel that way, I squeeze in an extra workout or walk and up my water and I seem to be able to salvage the day without over eating further. I am so much further ahead since I have stopped counting the exact number of carbs I am taking in and started listening to my body. My weight loss Is slow- my metabolism seems to be very limited at the moment but I am working out much harder than I had been over last while and hope to get it going again :) I am feeling awesome with workouts and low carb diet. I seem to have to keep my carbs quite low, lower than most on here.