Dyed my hair, strange new color

Options
jrhodo
jrhodo Posts: 43 Member
I dyed my hair yesterday. I've been using the same dye/developer/conditioner for at least 15 years. It's called Light Ash Blond, but my hair turned black! I've been on thyroid meds for 3 months and I'm wondering if that made a difference?

Replies

• fparkyr
    fparkyr Posts: 5
    Options
    In my experience I would say that you had a bad dye pack. Mostly because your hair is (for the most part) not going to have any real differences until about six months into any sort of dietary or medical change. However, it's still possible that it is the cause. I would use one of those oops color packs and then try again (if you're unhappy with this current color, of course) ;)
  • LizGozza
    LizGozza Posts: 45
    Options
    It sounds to me a bunch of kids switched around colors in boxes. Decently common thing unfortunately. Thyroid medication causing changes to your hair color would only be at the very root where new hair grows in, not all over.
  • gustang01
    Options
    This happens to me all the time now. I have been on thyroid meds for about two years, and it's always a guessing game on what color my hair will turn out. I was using the same color for years, all of a sudden it starting going black. I have even tried to use lighter colors, but always is darker then what is expected.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    never had that happen & I color every 6 weeks. I take thyroid meds, blood pressure med, cholestrol meds...
  • charleschip
    charleschip Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well I don't have much knowledge on hair or hair products but thought I'd chime in for some humor at least! :) I'm bald and all the gray I have in the beard are more like white so I call them mutant whites! At least the wife lets me get away with it! ;) LOL!

Interesting the meds of changed the color. I guess we're one big chemical factory though so I reckon different intake will equate to different output as in the oils that lubricate the hair. Imagine that! Go figure! So will black die turn in the color you want??? ;) LOL! Just kidding! :D

I hope you find a solution that works. I would think a good beauty salon may have experience with a wider range of folks so maybe getting it professionally done may be an avenue of knowledge and I'm sure the pampering would feel good. Hey get a manicure and pedicure while you're at it! :D Take care.

Kind Regards,
    Brian
  • xxxMumof2xxx
    Options
    I've been on meds for 14 years, coloured my hair the same amount of time too. The meds couldn't effect your hair colorant - Don't worry. More likely is that it was a bad box or some kids had switched it.

If you don't like the dark colour use "Colour B4 Extra" (rinse it off well - thats the key) the stuff is amazing and a fraction of the price of colour stripping at a hair dressers. Then re colour it with the correct dye but only leave it on for 5 mins.