That's what she said

Options
TravisBikes
TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
Not really. But damn. I read this thread last week:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Had been thinking about a scale for a while, but just wouldn't do it. I have been in a rut over the past 3 months not really losing any weight with StrongLifts and doing some cardio.

It hasn't even been a week with the scale yet, and I've dropped from 219 down to 213. Turns out some of my meals I thought I logged accurately, were off between 500-1500 calories.

If you weigh yourself, weigh your food. (if you don't already).

Thanks SS and Sara for this group. I kept debating posting a "plateau" topic, but once I actually measured my intake I found I didn't need to.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Not really. But damn. I read this thread last week:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Had been thinking about a scale for a while, but just wouldn't do it. I have been in a rut over the past 3 months not really losing any weight with StrongLifts and doing some cardio.

It hasn't even been a week with the scale yet, and I've dropped from 219 down to 213. Turns out some of my meals I thought I logged accurately, were off between 500-1500 calories.

If you weigh yourself, weigh your food. (if you don't already).

Thanks SS and Sara for this group. I kept debating posting a "plateau" topic, but once I actually measured my intake I found I didn't need to.

Thanks, I'm glad you got something out of it.

Just for what it's worth, I have the same issue myself from time to time, logging gets a bit sloppy or I start estimating a few things here and there and they collectively add up.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I am actually debating about my cals also. With Indian foods in the system and everybody using different methods of cooking, calories can very easily be off and the entres go mostly by "1 plate" rather than weight. With 2,000 cals I haven't really lost much. I might just cut down the cals for a month and see the results. The entire "eat more" mantra is not really paying off to be honest
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    That's great that you finally got one and it's helping! I got my scale a few months ago and still love having it. I use it for nearly everything that's weigh-able.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I was crying on the kitchen floor in the fetal position for 45 minutes the first time I weighed 2 tbsp of peanut butter.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I was crying on the kitchen floor in the fetal position for 45 minutes the first time I weighed 2 tbsp of peanut butter.

Yeah. That one was quite the eye-opener. Especially since I was pretty sure I had only pulled 1 tbsp out of the jar.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Taunto - I'm on about 2500 cals a day right now at 5'10" and always hungry. The scale blew my mind. It wasn't peanut butter for me, but measuring out some meats that I found thought would be 1-2 servings turned out to be 9, and around 1200 calories just for the meat.

Before the sides, sauces, whatever other crap I could put in. Also actually accounting for using olive oil, or sesame oil, etc. Ooops. 120 calories gone for the day, or used to be 500 or more I bet.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Yeah. That one was quite the eye-opener. Especially since I was pretty sure I had only pulled 1 tbsp out of the jar.

my 1 teaspoon is freaking 20 grams (1 tbsp is supposed to be 15 grams) I'm generous like that :laugh:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yeah, weighing really helps as a reality check. I eat in restaurants a lot and log the food using my best guess, and I frankly don't know if I've ever been served a "4 oz grilled chicken breast" even in a New York restaurant (which is the normal serving size in most MFP database entries for chicken breasts). Now that I weigh my food, I can tell most of them are about 6-7 oz at least.

On the bright side, my consumption of nut butters turned out to be pretty close to the serving size on the package. Weighing them changed nothing for me.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    That's so cool that that one change has you losing again. It's a pretty easy change in the scheme of things, too, compared to, say, doing three more hours of cardio every week :tongue:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. It is very very common for people to think that they are eating a lot lower than they think they should be able to based on their stats, and when they start logging and measuring everything accurately, they find that the culprit is not really their metabolism or anything like that, it's just that they are eating more than they think.

I think we are all guilty of it to some degree. Much of it is also a case of 'dieters fatigue' - we get sloppy after a while naturally. I know I did.

Cereals are really bad ones as well - those portion sizes are pathetically small when you actually weigh them out. Although, this reminds me, I need to restart measuring my PB!

Great example of the huge benefit a digital scale can make to progress. I honestly think that it is the best investment most people can make.
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options

Right?! And hummus and fruit. And wine...
    Yes, OP, the food scale is great!!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Oh god, me too! :sad:
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Ice cream too...

Me: "This is half a cup, right? If I, like, really pack it in there, it's still half a cup...right?"

Scale: "LOLNO."
  • bimmer2331
    bimmer2331 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My scale came a week back.... Whoa what an eye-opener!!! What i thought was 300 grams was really more than 600 grams.... Eyeballing didnt do me any good...
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    I've been at it for a long time now, and I still weigh my food at home all the time. Helps me keep my eye-ball calibrated for when I'm out and cannot weigh things. A food scale was some of the best $25 I ever spent.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    Oh, and nuts were another eye opener. A serving is this tiny little morsel looking all lonely even on a small plate.
  • loranch
    loranch Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Cereals are really bad ones as well - those portion sizes are pathetically small when you actually weigh them out.

This is the reason I mostly have stopped eating cereal! Just not worth it for the calories.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Ice cream too...

Me: "This is half a cup, right? If I, like, really pack it in there, it's still half a cup...right?"

Scale: "LOLNO."

So actually, I have an ice-cream related scale story.

I bought this pint of ice cream, "SoCo" brand. The container claims that a serving is 1/2 a cup, or 113 g. I dutifully portioned out 113 g on the first day day and then 113 g another day. Then on the third day, I scooped out my next 113 g, and there was barely a tablespoon left in the container. I put the remainder in my bowl, and the whole thing weighed 127 g! So I got a container with 353 g of ice cream instead of 452 g. I've weighed portions from pint containers of ice cream before, and got 113 g x 4 servings. SoCo gave me 113 x 3 + 14 g. And I would never have known this if I hadn't weighed my portions. The container is portioned out by volume (ml) and not weight, so was this ice cream whipped or something?

Has this happened to anyone before? Should I complain to the Better Business Bureau of wherever SoCo is headquartered? Or, I am thinking lawsuit. In any case, no more SoCo for me.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Has this happened to anyone before? Should I complain to the Better Business Bureau of wherever SoCo is headquartered? Or, I am thinking lawsuit.

March on Washington, perhaps?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Has this happened to anyone before? Should I complain to the Better Business Bureau of wherever SoCo is headquartered? Or, I am thinking lawsuit.

March on Washington, perhaps?

Short changing people on their ice-cream...I would be there!