Officially a Tri-Athlete

Options
mleech77
mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
That's right, completed my first Sprint Distance Tri yesterday. No longer am I a Tri-Athlete in Training. It was extremely rough for me as I was still suffering from the cold I've had the past two weeks. Picked up on a few things from talking to seasoned racers, and learned a lot for my next one. Even though I finished last in my age group, I finished and that's what's important.

I'm already registered for another Sprint next month, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will be warmer. Definitely have the bug.

Replies

• kchang77
    kchang77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I've got my first coming up on May 18th and can't wait! I've set my goals low for this one, just finish and then go fro there. My summer is already booked with 1 tri a month through September. Go luck this season.
  • mleech77
    Options
    Congrats! I've got my first coming up on May 18th and can't wait! I've set my goals low for this one, just finish and then go fro there. My summer is already booked with 1 tri a month through September. Go luck this season.
    Good luck on your first tri. Your summer sounds like mine, best of luck to you as well.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I think for every half marathon and Tri for the first year I started actually training I was sick for. It's awful, so congrats on overcoming! Good luck on your next one!
  • forestplay
    forestplay Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Glad you were able to make it even though you were sick in the weeks preceding your event.

If I can ask for all of us approaching our first event, what did you learn at your first that will make your next event better?

-Bob
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I think for every half marathon and Tri for the first year I started actually training I was sick for. It's awful, so congrats on overcoming! Good luck on your next one!

Just to quickly address this, especially since this is a weight loss site at heart. If you don't eat enough calories while doing endurance sports you will compromise your immune system, not saying this is what happened but it's a good lesson for all. I've worked with several athletes who have been so dead set on making racing weight (looking like Chrissie or Rinny or Crowie) that they end up sick a lot. We're not pros. We don't have personal chefs. We don't have nutritionists on call. Keep this in mind. It's like a weight lifter comparing themselves to Arnold.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    An excellent note, however low calorie count has never been a problem with me. Mine may stem from the whole three kids under the age of five who are dust mops for infection. There's always some flu or cold or other virus circulating our home as they develop their immune system.As such I tend to pick up a bug here or there and unfortunately it seemed like it was often before a race. Probably stress and nerves didn't help. Never have attempted to be a race weigt of any kind, just aiming to be in an apporpriate BMI. I mainly am focusing on the whole idea of eating healthy and excercising to lose weight. It is important to eat back calories. It's also important to have weeks of rest and recovery which I have found even more vital to keeping healthy and avoiding illness than diet.
  • mleech77
    Options

Just to quickly address this, especially since this is a weight loss site at heart. If you don't eat enough calories while doing endurance sports you will compromise your immune system, not saying this is what happened but it's a good lesson for all. I've worked with several athletes who have been so dead set on making racing weight (looking like Chrissie or Rinny or Crowie) that they end up sick a lot. We're not pros. We don't have personal chefs. We don't have nutritionists on call. Keep this in mind. It's like a weight lifter comparing themselves to Arnold.

Good note there Scott. I've definitely kept this in mind as I transitioned from just trying to be healthier to stepping into endurance sports. Initially, i joined this site to keep better track of what I was eating. The weight loss was a natural side effect of eating better foods, not snacking out all the time, and working out regularly. I get this kind of cold at the beginning of spring every year. I don't have allergies, but my body just doesn't like that initial changing of the season. Usually it's a lot earlier and I get it out of the way, but this year winter just didn't want to leave.