How to study without food?

Options
Hello,

I am new to this forum, but this is my Final week and in the past two weeks I have decided to get healthy. I quit smoking and I have been changing my eating habits. I am in grad school for nutrition so I have the tools, I just needed the motivation. My problem is when I used to study I would snack or smoke a cigarette. Now I have neither and it's a hard habit to break. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• ttxqiu
    ttxqiu Posts: 27
    Options
    I sip tea when I study. My favorite is Republic of Tea's Earl Greyer tea. The warmth, scent, and taste are comforting and soothing, but the light caffeine content keeps me alert and focused. The Double Green Matcha tea by the same company is also really good, too, and is better if you have a caffeine sensitivity. I've heard that green tea also boosts your metabolism. I'm not sure how true that is, but green tea is pretty tasty no matter what! It's lighter and grassier than black teas, which kind of taste smoky.

The trick is to find a tea that you really love the taste of, so you aren't tempted to add anything to it. Herbal teas and fruit teas can be delicious too, although other than peppermint and chamomile teas, I'm not really fond of any of them.

If you're not actually hungry, but just craving something or eating out of habit, the liquid in your stomach will help you feel full. However, if you stay up later, your body will use up more calories and you will actually feel legitimately hungry. Don't deny yourself food if you're pulling a late-nighter or all-nighter for studying! Your focus will be better if you snack on something like almonds or bananas. You already know that your brain's primary fuel source is glucose and that neural signaling requires sodium and potassium. :)
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I always have water available and sip it. I also eat small meals every 2-3 hours which keeps me from ever getting too hungry.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Gum! There are sugar free dessert flavors that aren't bad.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I'd have carrots, apples or anything healthy around to keep you from getting too hungry. I eat a snack when I have those long study nights (which is coming up because of finals). I also drink water and unsweet hot or cold tea (if you need the caffeine to study it's a bonus). I can understand the not smoking thing...it's hard to do when it was a clutch in hunger or stress. But you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I snack ALL THE TIMEEEEEEEEEE during finals. I stick mainly to nuts, popcorn, and fruit though. :D
  • ashlafer
    ashlafer Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know somebody mentioned this already, but tea is a great way to keep relatively full (especially if water doesn't really satisfy cravings in terms of not having a taste). I try to stay to go for a lot of liquids to fill me up when I'm studying.

If you've been drinking tea for a while (i.e. black, chamomile, whatever), try switching to green tea. I've been drinking tea all my life and recently got into green tea. I wasn't a big fan at first, but it has really grown on me in the past few weeks. Green tea also has a ton of health benefits, and has nutrients linked to increased metabolism.

If you aren't a big fan of tea, ease into it. Don't go straight to the sugarless green tea, especially if you're a big fan of sweets. I'd suggest starting off with a [sugarfree vanilla, nonfat] london fog (basically ear grey tea, sugarfree vanilla syrup, and half a cup of steamed nonfat milk. They satisfy my sweet tooth and are a great alternative to sugary lattes (this is coming from a coffee addict). With time, you can decrease the amount of steamed milk you put in, then drink just earl grey tea with a spoonful of milk, then try to go for earl grey with just some sweetener. My suggestion is that you keep going from here once you're used to earl grey and try green tea with a lot of sweetener, and slowly cut the sugar out (since sugar and even no-calorie sweetener negates the positive effects of tea by slowing down digestion). It might take time, but the benefits are great!

One last thing---try hot water with lemon juice (as in freshly squeezed lemon juice, not lemonade). Not only have I found it to be surprisingly filling, but lemons help activate digestive enzymes and promote a faster metabolism.

Hope this helps! :)
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Our library doesn't allow food so I go there ahhaha, then I have to leave my study space and go eat elsewhere, which keeps me seated most of the time just because acquiring food requires so much effort.

If I'm studying at home I measure out a portion of organic trail mix and munch on that as I work.
  • fajmanj
    fajmanj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think a combination of all the advice above is best. A healthy snack available is the best option. As you're studying nutrition, I'm sure you are aware one of the biggest challenges isn't necessary the availability of needed information but the motivation and drive to make the right choices. Personally I think borrowing from the field of education and its research in behavior modification may be the way to go for the field of nutrition/medicine. However, I digress. It's great you're giving up smoking, and that you're striving to eat healthier. However, if you try to do too much at once you're going to get frustrated and want to throw in the towel. Allow yourself a healthy snack now and then, especially when you're going through moments where your body is burning more energy.

The human brain uses about 20% of the body's energy when it's in what I'd call idle according to Scientific America. It also increases its level of ATP (or energy uses) at different rates for different task. Since the variety of task the brain can perform are so many and to a degree abstract or difficult to record and quantify it's difficult if not impossible to record how many calories are burn for each mental activity. Needless to say though, when you studying the hard drive, ram, and processor within your skull are working at a faster rate and thus need more energy or calories. As a result you get more hungry so don't feel bad about the occasional healthy snack as you go through a stressful time during finals.
  • christicake
    christicake Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Our library doesn't allow food so I go there ahhaha, then I have to leave my study space and go eat elsewhere, which keeps me seated most of the time just because acquiring food requires so much effort.

If I'm studying at home I measure out a portion of organic trail mix and munch on that as I work.

Probably the most brilliant thing I've heard in a while.
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Tea! It's been mentioned above many times. I HATED tea until about a week ago, no lie. Happened across Zhena's Gypsy Tea in Berry Bellini. It's a green tea with hibiscus, raspberry, and peach. It turns your water pink and tastes like fruit! This is a great tea to try and start with. I add a little bit of sugar, but really it doesn't need it and once I get more accustomed to drinking tea I'll leave off on the sugar.

Also, I was able to find this tea at TJ Maxx! Only $3, though if you want to buy it online (where you're guaranteed to find it), amazon.com carries it as well as the product's website: http://www.gypsytea.com/ Note the tea is organic, the tea bags are even made out of hemp. ^^
  • lisamarie327
    lisamarie327 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I really commend you on tackling two vices at once. I smoke like a fiend when I am writing papers. My best advice would be to try chewing sugar free gum. It's a pretty decent substitute because it keeps your mouth busy all the time. Good luck!
  • Brittmy
    Brittmy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots, LOTS of baby carrots. And 100 calorie pack popcorn, and water water water. :-)
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Probably the most brilliant thing I've heard in a while.

D'aw, I'm flattered. :flowerforyou:
  • jgaub10
    jgaub10 Posts: 1
    Options
    For a long time, I used to eat when I would read or study, which, after many years of doing this, created an association of food with studying. To break that association, here's what I tried:

1. Drink flavored sparkling water. They are zero calories and very little sugar - it's just CO2 and water with some fruit extract thrown in. I have gotten good ones at Costco.

2. Try taking one slice of cheese and folding it in half twice to get four equally-sized pieces. Put one slice each on a graham cracker (you use two full cracker sheets, broken in half). Eat that slowly, taking drinks of water between each bite.

3. Keep healthy snacks handy, such as baby carrots, cherry or grape tomatoes, or cucumber or bell pepper slices.

4. Cut up an apple into slices and grab a small container of peanut butter (you can just put a tablespoon or two into a small dish if you want) and dip your apple slices in the peanut butter.

5. Drink LOTS OF WATER.

I hope this helps, I still struggle with it, but having pre-portioned healthy snacks (100-calorie packs of pretzels or popcorn, etc.) definitely helps! Good luck!
  • apiman
    apiman Posts: 6
    Options
    This helped a lot! Definitely liking the hot water with lemon juice.
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I always keep glass of water around so that I will reach for that instead of an unhealthy snack. Also, hot tea seems to keep me from wanting to snack as well. It's ok to snack some though if you need to stay awake, just change the types of things you're snacking on and count out your portions beforehand so you don't over indulge. Things like yogurt, berries, carrots, celery, nuts, popcorn, apple slices or pretzel sticks (especially dipped in peanut butter) are all good healthy snacks and in moderation can be helpful in giving you energy to push through the long hours of studying, especially during finals time. Good luck on your exams and on staying healthy! :smile:
  • mehhhlife
    mehhhlife Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Fruit, veggies, or nuts are good for studying! Also keep water or tea nearby!
  • oudixon
    oudixon Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I usually skipped the studying and went to the bars. Then again, I think that could be why I gained so much damn weight in college. It may also be why it took me an extra year to finish up. haha

I will say, I was never a big snacker in college or around the house. My problem was I would drink so much damn pop. However, I agree with others- drink water(maybe put in some Crystal light to mix it up), eat fruits. If I have a snack- it's either Cantaloupe, or if I am under in calories I may have a few honey graham crackers. But I am just focusing on calorie counting more than what exactly I am eating daily.
  • Jendaby
    Jendaby Posts: 7
    Options
    I usually HAVE to have a little brain food when I am working on finals and such. I find that I perform better if I have one serving of organic peanut butter or non-GMO tofu before i begin working on a paper, for example. If I am feeling hungry, it is harder to concentrate. I just think that finding a high-protein snack, and not a sugary one, is the best bet.

To curb the cravings and ease the stress of other times, like when I am studying or reading a massive assignment, I like to make a pot of tea to keep me going. I usually buy loose teas from Adagio. Their Fujian Rain is pretty good for straight-up sipping and study-time.

Good luck!
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    During finals week I usually would snack on junk food, but during this past one I started stress eating celery.