Recipe Exchange

Options
tameekag
tameekag Posts: 84 Member
I think about food constantly, so I thought I would start a thread for healthy recipes that we could share throughout this challenge.

If you have a healthy recipe or recipe site that you enjoy, please share with us.

Please include the name of the recipe, the ingredients/instructions and caloric content if you have that.
Any healthy recipe is welcome. I think we have some folks who enjoy sweets, so it would be nice to see some healthy dessert options. I'd also love to see some healthy and quick breakfast options.

Replies

• tameekag
    Options
    Kale, Apple, Pomegranate, and Walnut Salad

Serves: 4-7, depending on whether it’s a side or main dish
    Tools Needed: Food processor, mini chopper, or a sharp knife and a lot of patience

Ingredients:

Salad:
    1 bunch of kale (10-12 leaves)
    1 pomegranate
    2 apples
    3/4 cup almonds (100 g)
    2 Tbsp red wine balsamic or sherry vinegar
    1 Tbsp honey

Dressing:
    3 Tbsp red wine balsamic or sherry vinegar
    3 Tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp honey
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    Salt & pepper

Directions:
    Preheat a dry pan on the stove. Roast the almonds on the pan over medium for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure they don’t burn.

Add the vinegar. As soon as the vinegar has gone from the pan, add the honey and stir for another minute.
    Transfer the almonds to cutting board and let cool. Chop coarsely.

Wash and dry the kale.
    Use a food processor, mini chopper, or a sharp knife and a patient hand to chop the kale into a very fine texture.

Seed the pomegranate. Want to know the best/most fun way to see a pomegranate? Follow this link! http://lifehacker.com/5895852/deseed-a-pomegranate-in-10-seconds-using-a-wooden-spoon

Cut the apple into thin slices.
    Mix the kale, apple, and almonds in a large bowl.
    Make the dressing by stirring all the dressing ingredients thoroughly together. Season to taste.
    Toss the dressing in the salad...and there you go!
  • tameekag
    Options
    Gingerbread Balls - A sweet, healthy treat

Serves: 4-7 Balls
    Special Tools Needed:
    Food Processor
    Spice Grinder (or you can use pre-ground spices)

Ingredients:
    ½ cup almonds
    2 dates
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    ½ teaspoon ginger
    6 cloves or 1 teaspoon ground cloves
    Pinch of salt
    1 tablespoon honey

Directions:
    Put the almond into a running food processor. Process the almonds into a flour.
    Add dates. Process.
    Add spices. Process.
    Add honey and keep processing until it has a cookie dough texture. Add water a tablespoon at a time if the mixture is too dry.
    Roll the dough into balls.
    Enjoy!.

Serving size - 2
    Calories 177
    Carbs 15
    Fat 12
    Protein 5
    Fiber 4
  • Unaisha8
    Unaisha8 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Low fat banana muffins

Ingredients:-

Makes: 12 muffins

125g plain flour
    60g wholemeal flour
    20g granulated sweetener, such as Splenda
    1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 egg whites
    250g mashed ripe banana
    4 tablespoons apple sauce

Method:-

Prep: 15 mins Cook: 18 mins

1. Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas 5. Grease a 12-hole muffin tin or line with paper cases.
    2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sweetener, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, mix together the egg whites, mashed banana and apple sauce. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just blended. Fill prepared muffin tin 3/4 full.
    3. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes in the preheated oven or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. Allow muffins to cool in the tin over a wire rack for a little while before tapping them out of the tin.

I made them last week and they were delicious :tongue:
  • chocol8e
    chocol8e Posts: 13
    Options
    I love this topic! Thanks for starting it up :smile:
  • Melster85
    Melster85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Quinoa with Roasted Garlic, Tomatoes, and Spinach

http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/quinoa-with-roasted-garlic-tomatoes-spinach-10000002001925/

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)

There are a ton of substitutions and modifications that you can make with this recipe and quinoa is very filling so have at it!

Ingredients
    1 whole garlic head
    1 tablespoon olive oil $
    1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
    1 tablespoon dry white wine $
    1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth $
    1/2 cup baby spinach leaves $
    1/3 cup chopped seeded tomato (1 small) $
    1 tablespoon shaved fresh Parmesan cheese $
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 350°.
    2. Remove papery skin from garlic head. Cut garlic head in half crosswise, breaking apart to separate whole cloves. Wrap half of head in foil; reserve remaining garlic for another use. Bake at 350° for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins.
    3. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and red pepper to pan; cook 1 minute. Add quinoa to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine; cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; stir in garlic pulp, spinach, tomato, cheese, and salt. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Information
    Calories: 130
    Fat: 5g
    Saturated fat: 0.7g
    Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
    Protein: 4.1g
    Carbohydrate: 16.6g
    Fiber: 1.8g
    Cholesterol: 1mg
    Iron: 1.7mg
    Sodium: 305mg
    Calcium: 49mg
  • TrinaGoss
    TrinaGoss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Tortellini Soup

6 cups no-salt-added chickn broth
    1 7 to 8 oz pachage dried cheese filled tortellini
    1 16 oz package frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrots
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Parmesan cheese

1. Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a 4 qt. pot. Add the tortellini, reduce heat and cook, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. Add the vegetables, return mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, uncovered for 5 minutes more.

2. Divide among soup bowls and top with black pepper and parmesan cheese.

Nutrition per serving: 216 calories, 12g protein, 7g fat (3g sat. fat), 24g carbs, 3g sugar, 4g fiber, 122mg calcium, 1mg iron, 528mg sodium

My family loves this recipe and it's quick and easy for nights when I don't have a lot of time!
  • tameekag
    Options
    Tomato Potato Zucchini Summer Squash “Casserole”
    via Eat Laugh Craft

1 T Olive Oil (*coconut oil, Butter, ghee)
    1 medium Onion
    2 Cloves Garlic
    1 medium Zucchini
    1 medium Summer (Yellow) Squash
    1 Large Potato (*Sweet Potato)
    1 Large Tomato
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1 tsp fresh rosemary (chopped)
    salt & pepper to taste
    1 cup shredded Italian cheese

STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic. Sauté onions in a skillet with olive oil until softened (roughy 5 minutes) then add the garlic until fragrant (about 1-2 minutes).

STEP 2: While the onion and garlic are sauteing, thinly slice the rest of the vegetables. Slice them into the same shape. I used a mandolin but you could also use a food processor or by hand as well(just try to get them to be as close to the same thickness as possible)

STEP 3: Spray the inside of an 8×8 square or round baking dish with non-stick spray. Spread the softened onion and garlic in the bottom of the dish. Place the thinly sliced vegetables in the baking dish vertically, in an alternating pattern. Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper,thyme, and rosemary.

STEP 4: Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, top with cheese and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.

after.jpeg?w=414&h=560
  • tameekag
    Options
    Peaches & Cream
    via FED - Fitness in an Evolutionary Direction

1 fresh peach (halved with pit removed)
    1 tbsp coconut oil
    Cinnamon
    2 tbsp pastured heavy cream
    1 tbsp chopped walnuts

Directions:

On the cut side of the peach, rub with coconut oil and sprinkle with cinnamon. Put the peaches on a foil lined baking sheet, and place in an oven preheated to 350 degrees. Allow the peaches to bake for 20 minutes (or until browned and soft to the touch).

When ready to serve, drizzle the roasted peaches with heavy cream and top with chopped walnuts.

http://www.fitnessinanevolutionarydirection.com/2011/10/caveman-cuisine-peaches-cream.html

383311_324709797656461_2135941111_n.jpg
  • krk5235
    krk5235 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Something very simple that i cooked 2 nites ago. Florida is now sending zuchini up north, so i just sliced one up in very small slices, trying to immitate spaghetti. Then sauteed in water bath till almost limp, strained and tossed it into pot with spaghetti sauce. I was quite proud, it limited my wife and my carb intake for a meal and was quite tastey topped off with a chicken breast. Kinda like mock spaghetti. Now if the kids were home, I am sure they woulda tossed it back in the pot, or my face!
  • tameekag
    Options
    Something very simple that i cooked 2 nites ago. Florida is now sending zuchini up north, so i just sliced one up in very small slices, trying to immitate spaghetti. Then sauteed in water bath till almost limp, strained and tossed it into pot with spaghetti sauce. I was quite proud, it limited my wife and my carb intake for a meal and was quite tastey topped off with a chicken breast. Kinda like mock spaghetti. Now if the kids were home, I am sure they woulda tossed it back in the pot, or my face!

That's a great substitution for pasta. Also try spaghetti squash!
  • southernpawsc
    Options
    This came from my local newspaper which regularly runs an exercise and recipe together under the headline, "Hot n Healthy". Below is a link to this recipe and an exercise of hip raise with chest press on BOSU ball.

Fresh Baby Spinach and Feta Quesadilla
    Servings: 6, 2 wedges

1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
    1 1/2 Tb lemon juice
    1 Tb pine nuts
    1 ts extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 ts sea salt or to taste
    1/4 ts fresh ground pepper or to taste
    6 (8-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
    1/3 c. finely crumbled natural feta cheese
    1 c. finely chopped fresh baby spinach
    3 Tb minced green onion (green part only)

1. Place basil, lemon juice, pine nuts, oil, salt, & pepper in food processor and pulse until mixture has pesto-like consistency.

2. Lay tortillas on a large baking sheet and lightly coat with olive oil cooking spray. Turn three of the tortillas over. Spread basil pesto over the entire surface of these tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese, spinach, and green onion. Top with the remaining tortillas, sprayed side up. Firmly press each quesadilla with your palm or a spatula to compact the ingredients.

3 . Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook quesadillas in batches, approximately 2 minutes per side, or until toasted. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Serve warm.

Nutrition Facts: 150 calories, 4 g fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 430 mg sodium, 31 g total carbohydrates, 6 g protein, 3 g fiber

Courtesy of Savannah Morning News, Accent Section, Hot n Healthy articles
    http://savannahnow.com/accent/2013-04-08/hot-n-healthy-hip-raise-chest-press-bosu#.UXmemrXlaQg
  • sgouti1
    sgouti1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Buffalo Turkey Burgers and Zucchini Fries

This is "man's meal" for all you hungry people out there - my boyfriend loves it!

Burgers:
    - 1 lb lean ground turkey
    - 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
    - 1 carrot, grated (optional, but helps keep them moist and “orange-ish” like you expect buffalo things to be)
    - 1 small onion, finely chopped
    - 2-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    - 1/2 cup “wing sauce” (or more if you like)
    - 4 tbsp Tabasco (optional - we like spicy)
    - One egg (ok to use only whites)
    - 8 whole wheat saltines (crushed for “bread crumbs”)
    - Salt & pepper
    - Garlic powder

Mix it all together in a bowl. I make six patties b/c I like them thin so they cook up with a little crisp on the outside. You can make four if you like them thicker, just be sure to use the Rachel Ray tip of smashing the middles a bit so they even out while cooking, rather than getting more plump and possibly undercooked in the middle.

I use a Misto to spray my cookie sheet with olive oil, but Pam will work too. Bake on 375 for about 20 mins - flip them and let them go another 5 -7 mins. That’s all folks! We eat them without buns, so sometimes my boyfriend will dip each bite in blue cheese dressing, but they’re so tasty on their own, you really don’t need it. You can also put a little more wing sauce on the patties if you want, but I don’t find it to be necessary.

“Fries”:
    - 3-4 zucchini
    - 2 egg whites
    - Finely grated parmesan cheese (optional)
    - Salt & pepper or seasoning of choice - we like Tony Chachere’s or Slap Ya Momma here in Louisiana
    - Bread or pulverized cracker crumbs (Kashi crackers work awesome, you just have to destroy them in a zip-loc bag with a meat pounder - quite fun!)

Slice about 3 small zucchinis into “fry size” pieces. I throw a handful at a time into the egg wash, then dip them in my batter aka crumbs, then onto a well sprayed cookie sheet. When they’re all breaded, sprinkle with a little seasoning, with the parm cheese, if you’re being bad, and pop those puppies in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until they’re as brown as you like them.
  • junkintrunk5
    junkintrunk5 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS POST!

EDAMAME DIP

16 oz. shelled edamame
    1 avacodo, peeled, pitted, and diced
    1/2 C. Cilantro
    1/2 C. plain greek yogurt
    1/2 C. water
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1/4 C. fresh lime juice
    1-2 tsp salt ( i omitted this)
    5 shakes Tobasco sauce (more or less to taste)
    3 drops of dark sesame oil

Cook Edamame until tender, drain and pulse in a food processor
    add cilantro, pulse a few time more
    add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth and creamy

Dip with fresh veggies!!! I don't have the info on it............but there is nothing bad in this for sure!!!
  • junkintrunk5
    junkintrunk5 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump....for later:)
  • tameekag
    Options
    When you have a sweet tooth and want to stay on track, here's a nice treat.
    Sugar, Eggs,Oil/Butter are NOT added ingredients.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

532269_10151321196336266_1451997639_n.jpg

3 mashed bananas (ripe)
    1/3 cup apple sauce
    2 cups oats
    1/4 cup almond milk
    1/2 cup raisins (optional)
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon

Shape into balls and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes
    The recipe did not state the number of cookies this yields, sorry. I am going to make this tonight and find out.
    I plan to add a little ginger as well.