new here

Options
lee625
lee625 Posts: 28 Member
Thinking of beginning the atkins diet.. Would love suggestions, feedback etc from anyone already doing it..

Replies

• CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hi Lee and welcome, I would suggest doing as much research as possible before deciding that Atkins is the plan for you. There are several starting points such as the Atkins website, www.atkins.com. If you sign up you will receive a free starter kit, which includes with a carb counter booklet, a workbook, a quickstart guide, and three bars (not sure if any are for induction). Also become familiar with the literature, The New Atkins for a New You (NANY) or Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (DANDR). I prefer the older version of Atkins (DANDR minus the New), which was much simpler back in the day, but very restrictive and limited.
    There is plenty info for you to get started. Please let us know what you decide...
  • livinglc
    livinglc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Covina has good advise. Atkins, or low carb in general is something you need to understand before you go into it. I personally believe that the diet is not for everyone, especially those who just have a few pounds to lose. But if you have any blood sugar problems, or have a lot of weight gained for a long time and have had no long term luck with other diets, Atkins works. It had to be a lifetime commitment however. Sugar is simply not eaten..in any form except fake sugar. I have several Atkins books, but my favorite for overall goofs advice is the new Atkins for a new you. Let us know which diet path you choose.
  • livinglc
    Options
    The name Covina is autocorrect version of coco ma. Love the way it changes things without asking.
  • lee625
    lee625 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you and I have been researching - the beginning seems hard but overall it seems it will work for me. I'm not a big carb person to begin with which is why I thought this may be a good fit. I will atleast try it - worse comes to worse I don't like it and I try something that will work better for me. Thanks for the feedback !!
  • livinglc
    Options
    Good luck. Let u know when you start, we'll cheer you on.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome! My advice is to buy the Atkins diet book and read it cover to cover! :) You can also visit the website (www.atkins.com) for a free start up pack that includes a couple of the Atkins snack bars and a carb counter book and lots of good info. :) Good luck with your new lifestyle. Feel free to add me if you like. Also, my diary is open...but I'm just getting back in the swing of things now so you have been warned! lol