Vegans on MFP

Options
meowchii
meowchii Posts: 47 Member
Hey everyone. Hope you are as motivated to lose weight in 2013 as I am! My resolution is to go vegan. I LOVE the vegan diet because it makes me feel the healthiest. I am looking for vegan supporters as I am new to veganism. Vegans please add me as a friend! Accepting of any tips/suggestions you may have.

Replies

• sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I sent you a request. My best advice is to take full advantage of all the vegan websites on the internet. There are SO MANY RESOURCES and recipes for even the pickiest of eaters. I eat more food now than I ever have (variety wise) and I have found so many amazing recipes to try. There are lots of resources online for all kinds of nutritional information and how to make sure you are eating a well balanced diet and getting the nutrients you need.

I just want to wish you luck and don't let the bullying of others get you down, because chances are you WILL get it from meat eaters who will put you down for your dietary choices.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why meat eaters are so threatened by people who choose not to eat meat. I don't pick on them for their choices (out loud anyways, lol).

I have been vegetarian for the past two years and rarely eat eggs (unless they are in something like a cake, or mayonnaise which I shouldn't be eating anyways) I do enjoy cheese, but I have been thinking about adopting a more vegan lifestyle this year. I am planning to have cheese only occasionally as a "cheat" but to eat more clean vegan foods 98% of the time. If I find that I don't miss the cheese then I will go full vegan.

All the best to you in your vegan adventures!
  • KetsyBaby
    KetsyBaby Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Hope you are as motivated to lose weight in 2013 as I am! My resolution is to go vegan. I LOVE the vegan diet because it makes me feel the healthiest. I am looking for vegan supporters as I am new to veganism. Vegans please add me as a friend! Accepting of any tips/suggestions you may have.

Sending you a request. I am newly vegan, and have never felt better... would love to have you among my friends! :happy:

:heart: Please Add ME To Your Friends Support Team, I am looking for like minded individuals who are at the beginning, middle, or near goal in their journey to help me stay motivated and positive. I love a great sense of humor! I have a long road ahead of me, and need a good network of friends. :heart:

Ketsy
    40, Female
    GTA, Ontario, CANADA
  • lcv915
    lcv915 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lood for the "Team Vegan" Forum on MFP. I've found some good recipes there and have just posted a few, myself!
  • deb3690
    deb3690 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already looked at Dr McDougall's writings as a vegan supporter, you might want to take a look. He has great suggestions for vegan lifestyle change and health benefits to look forward to.

Also, I think it was his book that discussed how to plan a vegan meal....basically start with a STARCH and build veggies around it.....starches have proteins....so start with potato or rice and then add other veggies and a salad. He is big on low fat eating. His book "The Starch Solution" was really helpful to me....and he really debunks the rhetoric from meat-eaters.

I think the big issue for meat-eaters who are also focusing on lowering/limiting carbs is that they can't imagine why you would want to eat a starch or carb as a big part of the meal?...and yet for vegetarians/vegans we will be higher on the carbs because veggies principally are carbs....and it all comes back to where the proteins are found for veg meals too. I hope you find it interesting if you take a look!

Deb
  • KatieSChaisemom
    KatieSChaisemom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new. I have been vegetarian for a month and vegan for 2 weeks. This is not my first go around with this lifestyle, but it is since I now control what food is in my fridge and on my plate! ... *Thanks mom* LOL. But in all seriousness. I would love to have more vegan friends. Add me.
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan athlete and have a blog that I routinely post recipes (with calories and macro breakdowns for those who are tracking) as well as other posts on healthy lifestyle choices, endurance athletics, cross-training tips and experiences, etc. Check it out, as it may help many of you with your goals! Subscribe to the blog so you can get updates as well.

http://consideringmiles.blogspot.com
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Just started the 21-day Vegan Kickstart today and I'm excited (except for all the oatmeal). Wish me luck!
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options
  • Lat1988
    Lat1988 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm new to Vegan diet (5 days in). I was on the vegetarian diet for two weeks and now have decided to go all out the healthy way. I don't know why I didn't years ago. :)
  • AZKat527
    AZKat527 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I’ve been a vegetarian for about 7 years and am slowly working into a Vegan diet. I’m following forks over knives as a base. Sent you a friend request.
  • thefatveganchef
    thefatveganchef Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for ~20 years. Feel free to add me. I am trying to motivate myself to lose ~100 lbs. You can be vegan and be overweight. Being vegan does not necessarily mean eating healthy. Too much vegan junk food out there I am addicted to.