Getting Started

Options
SandiW02
SandiW02 Posts: 223 Member
Admitting you have to loose 100+ pounds is the first step to making a change. We all have reasons why we have come into this 'situation' (for the lack of a better word) and I for one would love to make a change. I have tried so many diets and the roller coaster has definitely assisted my curves. I don't want to count points or have a restricted eating plan because I have been there done that and well I have 100+ lbs to loose. I want to change my eating and learn to make better choices. Yes, I am going to have my days where I will eat the cake, cookies, cheese cake, pizza, etc. but I don't want to feel guilty about it. I want to learn to control it. I need help...and I am sure many individuals out there do to. So if you want to make a change...this is the group for you! Welcome.

So please share your story and lets start the support!

Replies

• teambrash
    Options
    So glad that I found this group. I am new to MFP and don't navigate the site well on my mobile device, I didn't even know there were groups until I logged on with my computer. All the friends I have only need to lose 30 pounds at the most and I am the heaviest out of all my friends. I don't always get the best support from them when all of our outtings involve dinner and desert. Having support from people that understand what a battle 100+ pounds is to lose is going tobe great!
  • bajanrosa
    bajanrosa Posts: 23
    Options
    Hey Torra, you already know I love cupcakes anywho's here is my story for anyone who wants to read it. My name is Rosa I'm 20 years old and I live on the Beautiful island of Barbados. I have always been chubby only going into overweight/obese in my teens. I started my journey at 260lbs I now weigh 241.2lbs my goal weight is 150 for now. someday I want to weigh 128. I exercise everyday with turbo-fire and whatever monthly program I challenge my self with on Wednesdays I do something fun to workout as it is my rest day. As of late I've changed my diet trying to get in more fruits and vegetables. I have always loved water so giving up all other beverages except for a small soy shake on mornings was very easy. Some days the scale makes me wanna cry others I leap with joy! Ultimately I want to be fit not skinny and I will get there God willing I will!
  • dc729
    dc729 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My name is Debbie. I started MFP in September 2012. I did really well until the end of January of this year. I started getting sloppy with my food diary and eating plan. I have now gained back about 8 pounds and have decided today to get serious again. I have a long journey ahead of me and would love to exchange support, tips etc with others.
  • mrsfry1
    mrsfry1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Been fat my whole life, got worse when I had kids. Really ballooned after I had my second. I LOST 100lbs when I was pg with 2nd, and then bf for a year and for the first 5 months after birth all I wanted was chocolate. During my pgcy I had major gall bladder issues so ate carrots and chicken hence the massive weight loss. Fortunately shortly after dd was born my gall bladder was removed and I could eat again, and I ate, a LOT! Finally at 373 my heavist a good friend convinced me to joined a bootcamp class with her. Its been great but now at 344, I have hit a massive plateau. Been the same weight since November. I have upped my exercise from 2 to 3 to now 5 bootcamp classes a week, as well we eat fairly healthily as my son is allergic to gluten/wheat and I dont often pay $7 for a loaf of bread or $6 for a 200g bag of pasta so we do veggies, meats and fruit as often as possible. I am soo frustrated that I am ready to just give up...again. My doc is no help in what to do, do any of you have any thoughts or successes? I am doing the journaling daily and as accurately as I can, as well as excersicing as much as possible with 2 kids and a hubs. I have tried decreasing my calories, upping my calories, I just am not seeing any change :(
  • puddensisk
    Options
    Mrsfry1,

Has your doc checked your thyroid or for Cushing's syndrome?
  • Tigger31179
    Tigger31179 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I started my weight climb when I started having kids. I went from weighing a very comfortable 150 or so, to 260 in about 13 years. It doesn't seem like much, but when I had my youngest child (3rd, finally a daughter!) I went from about 240 or so, at the start, to about 190 when I had her. I stopped drinking soda and couldn't eat much as I was constantly sick. NOT the way to lose weight. Once I had her, I started drinking soda again, and ate normally again. What woke me up was my doctor. In late December I weighed 250, in late March, I'd jumped to 260. Unacceptable as far as I was concerned. I have a lot of diabetes in my family, and that terrifies me. I told my doctor it was time for me to do something. He drew blood, etc, told me about MFP (my savior!), helped me get my back pain under control (Celebrex has been amazing for me!) and encouraged me to get OFF the soda. That was late March. I started MFP THAT day. Started drinking diet soda, with the intent to get off of it completely, and made the vow to try coffee with my milk and sugar for caffeine. The doctor called a few days after my appointment and told me that my A1C test had come back at a 5.8, and 6.0 is considered diabetic. Talk about a BIG scare! Today, about a month later, I'm am completely off the soda, and the coffee (ew!). I eat very few sweets, although they are still a treat, I eat mostly wheat, or white wheat bread, and I try to at least walk a little every day. I've been slacking off lately, and I can tell. I'm down 8 lbs. They came off fast, I'm thinking water weight from the soda. It's not easy, but it also isn't near as hard as I thought it would be. My husband has been amazingly supportive, and is off soda as well, and eating healthier too! (He's a big dude, 6'6" 350 ish.) I'll see my doctor again in June for a recheck of my A1C. Can't wait to see!

Glad to be here. It's good to know I'm not the only one with 100+ lbs to lose. It's a scary number, but I know we can do it, especially together!
  • Tigger31179
    Options
    Been fat my whole life, got worse when I had kids. Really ballooned after I had my second. I LOST 100lbs when I was pg with 2nd, and then bf for a year and for the first 5 months after birth all I wanted was chocolate. During my pgcy I had major gall bladder issues so ate carrots and chicken hence the massive weight loss. Fortunately shortly after dd was born my gall bladder was removed and I could eat again, and I ate, a LOT! Finally at 373 my heavist a good friend convinced me to joined a bootcamp class with her. Its been great but now at 344, I have hit a massive plateau. Been the same weight since November. I have upped my exercise from 2 to 3 to now 5 bootcamp classes a week, as well we eat fairly healthily as my son is allergic to gluten/wheat and I dont often pay $7 for a loaf of bread or $6 for a 200g bag of pasta so we do veggies, meats and fruit as often as possible. I am soo frustrated that I am ready to just give up...again. My doc is no help in what to do, do any of you have any thoughts or successes? I am doing the journaling daily and as accurately as I can, as well as excersicing as much as possible with 2 kids and a hubs. I have tried decreasing my calories, upping my calories, I just am not seeing any change :(

I would DEFINITELY have your doctor check your thyroid as mentioned earlier. Since you have tried everything, maybe he/she has some other ideas.
  • beckyzalldat
    beckyzalldat Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!! I so need to lose weight! I'm just sick of being big and know that its my time to lose I've been trying since march 11th and have lost 25 lbs so far. so please feel free to add me and good luck everyone!
  • puddensisk
    Options
    My name is Carol and tomorrow will be my 2 month anniversary since starting MFP. I started out with 150+ lbs to lose to reach my goal weight of 135. This is what I weighed when my husband and I were married almost 24 years ago. I want to be able to fit into my wedding dress that I never got to wear (long story, and no I wasn't preggo...lol) and renew our vows on our 25th wedding anniversary in Sept 2015. I was diagnosed with Graves disease (hyperthyroid) after the birth of my first child in 1987. My doctor suggested I have radioactive iodine to correct the problem and that was the worst mistake I ever made in my life. Had I known what I know now I would have never done this. Researchers have since discovered that post-partum mothers with Graves disease often reverse to normal if treated with meds alone for 2-3 years, no need for surgery or RI procedures. After this procedure, my doctor moved out of state and recommended another doctor. After a few months, the new doctor took me off my thyroid meds and told me I no longer needed it. Being young and dumb I trusted him and stayed off my meds for about 7-8 years. My weight ballooned and my health deteriorated to the point that I would fall asleep while having a conversation. My sister became a RN and recognized that I was in serious trouble and insisted I see another doctor. I credit her with saving my life. Through several moves to different states, and having to reestablish new medical connections my thyroid problem never fully came into control until this past year and I am no longer having issues with diet & exercise not working. I am so glad that the weight is finally coming off that I could jump for joy. I know it is going to be a long journey, but I didn't get to this point overnight. I would like to be at a decent size for my son's wedding next March though. I looked truly awful in my daughter's wedding pics and I don't want to be the "fat mama" in this one...lol. We can do this!!!!
  • miranda823
    miranda823 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Miranda and I've been on mfp since last july. I was a little overweight in high school but fairly active. When I had my two kids I gained way too much. I have lost 23 lbs in the past couple of months and I need to lose about 100 more to be in a good weight range. I want to be healthy and not just skinny. I know it's going to take a long time to come off, but I want to do it right. So here I am!
  • funsmile1234
    funsmile1234 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I started off weighing 370 lbs and have since lost 116 lbs with about another 119 to reach my goal. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to lose that much weight but it is possible. I've found that this journey is much more emotional than physical and just exercising and watching what you eat is not enough to find any kind of success. You have to get to the root of what caused you to get to this point. For me it was an abusive marriage, a chronic brain disorder and continual pain and trauma throughout my life. Realizing this and going through the inner healing of my soul has changed the way I look at food and myself. I'm learning to love myself enough to always make good food choices and working out helps me to feel better all around. I've tried to see that this is lifetime for me and the other way of life I lived is not an option for me anymore. I too struggled on failed diets and exercise attempts. I had to find something that fit with me and would be a way of life. I have to be practical and realistic allowing myself sweets and hamburgers and fries once in a while so I don't feel like the whole idea of this was a chore and I was depriving myself to where I wouldn't be able to stay on it the rest of my life. I pretty much eat the same things I did before but just healthier versions of it. So that makes me happy that I can still enjoy good food and life and feel great about what I'm doing.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    hello everyone my name is Heather I am a tough love 26 year old. I got here from lack of exercise and poor choice habits as well as a severe car accident that got me a 1yr 7 month bed ridden ticket to morbidly obese. I weighed 250 when the accident happened after the bed ridden ride I was 330. I am down 27lbs and pushing to my goal weight of 130. Just want everyone to know I don't sugar coat anything when it comes to myself and if you ask for an opinion of me I am very blunt and truthful. So please don't take me as a mommy coddler because I honestly don't know how to be one lol so sorry in advance. I do exercisee a great deal and love all new ideas on anything so feel free to add me or email me :)
  • melodypender
    melodypender Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hi my name is Melody. I have not been big my whole life I did not gain weight until I started having kids. before kids I was very skinny. then wen I had my first child I was a nice size and I loved, then five years later I had my daughter and right after she was born I was in a store and a lady asked me wen my baby was do mind you I was no longer pregnant after that I started working out every day and the weight was coming off but a few months after my daughter was born I found out I was pregnant again stopped all the exercise. then with this pregnancy all I wanted to eat was Chinese food and that is what I di big mistake I gained so much weight then came another pregnancy this one I was not ready for don't get me wrong I love my son but I really could not afford him but I know I was not going to get rid of him but I didn't know what I was going to do so I be came depressed while I was pregnant and I ate everything. so know I am at over 243lbs and I want at 103lbs of it off.
  • BackToFree
    BackToFree Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi all. This group popped up in my side bar, and given that I have about 145lbs to lose, I thought it would be the perfect place for me!

My family has a history of morbid obesity. Every member over the age of 10 is overweight, with the older generation being obese. I was a healthy weight my whole childhood and into my teen years. I put on 50lbs very quickly due to full time school, nearly full time work hours and lots of drinking when I was 16-17, and then fell pregnant with my first at about 215lbs. I only gained 20lbs while pregnant, and then gained another 40lbs before I fell pregnant with my 2nd. While pregnant I was on bed rest of half my pregnancy and gained more weight, until I weighed 294lbs on the day of delivery.

Four years later, I am now 315lbs and hopefully have reached a point in my life where I'm ready to lose the weight. I will admit, my biggest obstacle is laziness. I can't be bothered. But I need to start somewhere!
  • Tigger31179
    Options
    What amazing stories! I'm so glad I found this! :)
  • SandiW02
    Options
    Welcome everyone!! I was actually afraid this group may not take off. How wonderful to see individuals just like me who want to eat cupcakes and what not but most importantly want to make a life change not just diet to loose weight.

For whatever reason you have joined - and for those of you who shared thanks - I know we have a long road ahead of us and the main idea for this group to me is to get the support. Please do not get me wrong I have friends and a ton of support from my family, specifically my husband and kids, but from others who know what it is like to be 100+ over weight.

BTW I love to chat I check in on what's happening so feel free to post and chat also so do not be surprised if you see zillions of posts from me. ...sometimes when I am bored I hop on to see what's happening to avoid eating - just a thought there.

Are any of the group members in the Chesapeake VA area?
  • melalu
    melalu Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi all, I am Melalu and I am just starting out on MFP. I weigh 272 lbs and I just want to feel "good" again. I have more than 100 lbs to lose but I am going to set my first target at 195 lbs - just below 200 lbs. I am 51 years old and have a 17 year old son. I have been a single mom since he was 5 with no support from my ex. I work a lot of hours (1 full time job and more) and never seem to have any time for myself. I want to be more active but time is such an issue for me.

I sure would appreciate any support! Like someone else said, you have to start somewhere. Let's see how this goes!
  • AshNoel85
    AshNoel85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone, I am Ashley. I am 28 years old, been married just under a year and want kids badly. But, being as big as i am there is no way it would be OK for me to try to have children. I already have odds stacked against me. I have PCOS and Endometriosis. I have done every diet plan out there known to man, and prescription pill but nothing has worked. I just joined MFP a little under a month ago and believe i can truly do it this time!! Everyone on here has been so supportive so far. I look forward to hearing the trials and tribulations of others and sharing the journey of others that have 100+ to loose. Thanks so much for starting this group!! We can ALL DO THIS!!!

hugs to all!!

Ashley
  • mrsfry1
    mrsfry1 Posts: 2
    Options
    She has checked it a couple times when I was bf but nothing showed out of the ordinary so no.
  • SandiW02
    Options
    She has checked it a couple times when I was bf but nothing showed out of the ordinary so no.

May be possible the workout you are doing is not for you. I have tried different things and my body conformed so quickly to the routine it just stopped working or what I thought should be working just didn't. Maybe you need to vary your workouts more? I am not a doctor just an overweight woman with tons of experiences. LOL