Extra MF meal

Options
Is it ok to eat an extra MF meal if you are really hungry?

Replies

• PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think it is, however, I wouldn't make a regular habit of it.

You really shouldn't be terribly hungry all that often, if you're eating on an every-2-3-hour schedule, and if you're not accidentally getting more carbs than you're allowed. Keeping your carbs in that "ideal" 80-85 range is what keeps you in ketosis. The combination of ketosis and steady blood sugar (therefore steady insulin levels) is what suppresses hunger - as I understand it. If you're getting more than 100 carbs, then you're probably not in ketosis, and you'll feel hungrier, oddly enough. But perhaps you're extra-sensitive to carbs, and need to keep in in the lower end of the range to be sure you stay in ketosis.

Have you tried having one of the approved snacks? Try a couple of dill pickle spears, or some celery. As far as I know, you can have those every day, if you need to. (Just remember to log it!)

Are you drinking enough water? That will also help keep you full. Try flavoring it, or having some hot tea if you need to 'trick' your taste buds into thinking that they're getting calories when they're really not.

If you just need to hold yourself off of eating for a bit - brush your teeth. I know I hate 'ruining' that fresh-brushed taste and feeling!

Sometimes if it's late and I'm 'starving' (which, I'm really not, but, y'know) - I simply tell my body to shut up, and go to bed early so I don't have to 'listen' to it, ha ha!

Also - are you exercising? Perhaps if you are, you need a few more ounces of protein. Rather than just adding it to your L&G, try adding it at another point in the day - so your 'meals' are spaced even closer together. You can split your L&G to accomplish the same thing.

Good luck! You can do it. :-)
  • trinics_416
    trinics_416 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's absolutely fine. It is recommended by Medifast itself that when you feel hungry we can have an extra Medifast meal. It is always better than to cheat with something else which might go off plan.
  • fitmama2e
    fitmama2e Posts: 19
    Options
    I do, even more so now that I'm about to transition. I find myself getting hungrier as I get closer to the end of my weight loss. I was moved to a 4&2, but some days I just need an extra snack in the afternoon to get through my day.
  • dugrn
    dugrn Posts: 47
    Options
    I think it is, however, I wouldn't make a regular habit of it.

You really shouldn't be terribly hungry all that often, if you're eating on an every-2-3-hour schedule, and if you're not accidentally getting more carbs than you're allowed. Keeping your carbs in that "ideal" 80-85 range is what keeps you in ketosis. The combination of ketosis and steady blood sugar (therefore steady insulin levels) is what suppresses hunger - as I understand it. If you're getting more than 100 carbs, then you're probably not in ketosis, and you'll feel hungrier, oddly enough. But perhaps you're extra-sensitive to carbs, and need to keep in in the lower end of the range to be sure you stay in ketosis.

Have you tried having one of the approved snacks? Try a couple of dill pickle spears, or some celery. As far as I know, you can have those every day, if you need to. (Just remember to log it!)

Are you drinking enough water? That will also help keep you full. Try flavoring it, or having some hot tea if you need to 'trick' your taste buds into thinking that they're getting calories when they're really not.

If you just need to hold yourself off of eating for a bit - brush your teeth. I know I hate 'ruining' that fresh-brushed taste and feeling!

Sometimes if it's late and I'm 'starving' (which, I'm really not, but, y'know) - I simply tell my body to shut up, and go to bed early so I don't have to 'listen' to it, ha ha!

Also - are you exercising? Perhaps if you are, you need a few more ounces of protein. Rather than just adding it to your L&G, try adding it at another point in the day - so your 'meals' are spaced even closer together. You can split your L&G to accomplish the same thing.

Good luck! You can do it. :-)

This is the correct answer. If i don't keep my carbs around 80-85 i get hungry. I absolutely do not make it a habit. I have done it but that was early on like the first week.
  • KCDown
    KCDown Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I was just told by MF Support Nutritionist - to add 3-5oz of protein to my day because of my activity level and cut my carbs back. No carb snacks like mf cinnamon pretzel and to stick with meat options and not vegetarian meatless options like boca burgers - since they are higher in carbs than regular meat, fish, or chicken..
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    When my clients are STARVING and they have tried all of the other tips in my tool box I have said have another meal as last resort. It could throw you out of fat burn but its better than a bagel or cup cake. If you look in the Quick Start guid you will see that if you choose eggs as your lean and green you are suppose to eat 14 egg whites! Thats a HUGE amount of eggs. I have had people split up their lean and green into two meals (two egg white omelets with veggies) and eat them at different times of the day. That way they are eating every two hours instead of every three. Doing that and drinking extra water on your "hungry days" should really help.
  • yaquesita1976
    yaquesita1976 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello there, this is what I was told by the registered dietetic technician from MF...

calories 800-1000
    fat: 10-30 grams
    carbs: 80-100 grams
    protein: 75-100 grams
    sodium: max of 2300 mg

If you stay withing those guidelines... you should not be hungry. Hope this helps... Thanks
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If you're working out every day anything more difficult then low-intensity, you should look into going to a 4 & 2 plan instead of a 5 & 1... you'll get 2 lean and green meals. Also, are you weighing your lean and green, or are you eyeballing it? Because when you're allowed to eat 6 ounces of protein, plus 1 cup of raw spinach and a low carb salad dressing as your healthy fat, it's enough chicken to even split it into 2 meals! Say, weigh out your chicken and spinach and dressing, mix it all together and cut it in half to put in 2 bowls.

1 more thing that helps is eating REALLLYYYYY slow... For example, I was eating my Tomato Basil Bisque while writing this post, took a bite, wrote a few sentences, drank some water... repeat. It takes 20 minutes for you to feel full, so if you slam the whole bowl, you think you're left starving! Hope we all helped. :)
  • sstratto01
    Options
    Pickles - if you like them. I think those are a great snack and have next to no calories (approved snack on Medifast list). I found that if I had a spear or two, it really killed any hunger I had.

It took me a while to figure out that I liked the soy chips. I also had the crackers with a wedge of light laughing cow cheese. These are all approved Medifast snacks (the cheese counts as a condiment - I think). Another thing to think about might be how long you are going between your meals. Perhaps some could be closer together if you have a particular time of day you are getting hungry. Just a thought.