Beginner Walk vs Jog speeds?

Options
sandy_gee
sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
Hey! I personally love running, just have absolutely NO endurance at it, and that's why seeing this group lit me right up! I've been doing intervals myself on my treadmill, but I'm hoping that having a set schedule with increasing difficulty will help me to rock some stamina!
I'm just wondering general ideas of what speed you were at when you were doing the 'walk' vs the 'jog' pace? I understand it's going to be different across the board and depending on what you're comfortable and ability level, etc., but I was just hoping to see some examples, and what you've all managed to do!

Thanks!
(Oh, and please feel free to add me! :D)

Replies

• Marga40
    Marga40 Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi! I'm only at the beginning of week 3, but already feel my endurance improving. The first week I did a 3.5mph walk and a 3.7mph jog. As I've gotten used to the impact and the proper form, I'm up to a 3.7mph walk and a 4.2mph jog. I think the best advice early on is to go slow, in order to build up to the longer running intervals.
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I did my training outdoors, so I don't have good specific numbers for a treadmill, but I was doing about 6 mph on my runs and 3.5 on my walks. I also spent a lot of extra weeks in program weeks 1-3 building that up. That said, listen to your own body and use that to push yourself. Some days you will simply be faster or have better endurance than others. See how much you can push yourself while still maintaining good form, and be prepared to let those numbers go up or down throughout your workout or day to day. I think the hardest part is keeping the balance between pushing yourself and maintaining good form. Good luck!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I tried to walk and run at the same speed. Maybe 3.6 - 4.0 on the treadmill. According to the GPS on my app, I was doing 20+ minute miles that first week outside.

And then I slowed down the second week. LOL.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Im slow like turtle slow lol I walk at 2.8 and run at 3.2 BUT I can now run 60 min which netsme5 km (3.1 m) lol slow but moving
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Wow, an hour! That's tough.
  • FestivalDiva
    FestivalDiva Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Phew I've just finished wk6 day3 this morning. I've been building up on my treadmill, not ventured the real outdoors yet (!) walking at 3.8-4.2mph and run 5.5 (Trying to gradually introduce 5.8) but mainly at 5.5 or 5.6. Pace wise I think you have to go with what feels right for you tho, and in the end you will build up and up and up! Well done, just remember the tortoise and the hare!!! You're doing great
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Well on the treadmill I did about a 3.5 mph walk and a 4.5 jog. Outside, I usually maintain a 4.5-5 mph pace.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have graduated (2 weeks ago), and I still cannot run more than 4MPH at all. And I am lucky to make it through one song (3-5 minutes) at that speed. The 4 times I've run the full 3.1 miles has taken me most of an hour. (roughly 20 minute mile or 3.0 MPH).
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I did my training on the treadmill. I walked 5.5 Km/hr (3.4 miles/hr) and jogged at 6.0 Km/hr (3.75 miles/hr). The first time I jogged an entire 5K was on the treadmill and it took 50 minutes, done at 6Km/hr.

Take it as slow as you need to in order to accomplish each day's goals. Speed will come with time but you need that endurance first. Keep at it. I never thought I'd say this but jogging is fun.
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I walk around 3.2 and run between 4.3 and 4.5. Even those .2 can make a difference on my endurance. I also set the incline at 1.0 for most of my run and reduce it to 0 if I feel like I can't make the last few minutes. I've been told the incline helps with you knees as well. Good luck!
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I currently walk between a 3.5 and 3.7 and run at a 4.8 or 5 BUT I think I'm going to try to run at a 4.5 instead since I flopped my Week 4 badly.

Oh, and I'm running on a treadmill with an incline set to 2.
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Its really lovely to see everyones walk and jogging speeds cause i was thinking pretty negatively about mine and thinking that most people would walk faster than my jog speed (which some will of course).

I walk 3.5 and jog 4.5mph on inc 2%

Tonight is Week 3 Day 2.

Thanks for sharing
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time wrapping my head around measuring in mph when I typically measure in time per unit of distance. But if my math is correct I walk at 4mph and run close to 7mph.
  • birdiephd77
    Options
    I am pretty slow. I walk around 3.5 and run around 4.3. I know that some walkers can lap me at that speed, but when I run at 4.3 my heartrate is where it should be so until I get more regular, I am fine with it. BTW, I ran 25 minutes at that speed and doubt that I could have accomplished that if I was faster. You need to go at your own pace.
  • Angelsrose12
    Angelsrose12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Apparently I run really fast, because my walk is 4.0 and has been since week one. I do my jog at 7mph, typically, but slow to 6mph when needed (first day of a week or when I am trying to take it easy). Then again, I am only just finished with week 3, so I am not sure I will be able to maintain those speeds for more time.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    When I did the program, I walked at 3.5 and jogged at 4.5. I had a brief spell where 4.5 was too quick for me to get through the whole run, but by the end of it all I was back to it. My advice when starting out is to go as slow as you can comfortably jog and worry about getting faster after you can complete the whole 9 weeks.
  • maryv83
    maryv83 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I walk at 3.0 to 3.2 on the treadmill and bump it up 3.8-4.0 to a light jog all with an incline of 1.0. I know my endurance is not there, yet, so I'm taking my time and easing into it. I'm on week 4 day 2 and I guarantee had I gone faster than what I did, I would not have made it through. I thought I would have to repeat a week, but finishing week 4 day 1 proved to me that I'm going at a pace that is comfortable for me.

Also, I think I actually jog faster than the treadmill goes at 3.8, but I don't want to push myself too hard and bump it up and then just totally wear myself out.

Just go at a pace that is comfortable for you. At least you're doing it!
  • tinapunch
    tinapunch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I walk at 4.0 and run at 5.6. But I have been running for a few years - just been slacking the last 6 months or so. When I was consistently running, I would run at about 6.5.

Do what makes you feel the best.........speed will come later and only if you chose it. Keep up the good work!!!