First Time Mommy's

Options
This is new territory for me:) I'm 29 and expecting my first baby. I'm trying to stay healthy both for myself and the little bun in the oven... I'm just getting over the 1st trimester hump and starting to feel a little more like myself. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions about ways to stay fit and healthy during this process. I know that weight gain is inevitable, but I'm going to try my best not to go overboard...

Replies

• luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm a first timer too, congrats on your little one!
    I've used a standard pregnancy weight gain calculator and I'm trying to stick to it weekly. I've changed my calories to maintenace from week 20.

Some days are good, and others not so much, don't beat yourself up if you over indulge a bit, just get back to clean and healthy eating. Drink lots and lots of water and remember to take your vitamins, they help curb cravings as well. I walk minimum 20 minutes a day and I still do Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 days, only level one. I skip all the "lying on your back" exercises but I still do all the weights and leg stuff. For the stomach exercises I still do plank, works the core, and then standing crunches, works like a charm.

Here's the link to the calculator I use:

http://www.calculator.net/pregnancy-weight-gain-calculator.html
  • SouthernAngelK
    SouthernAngelK Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 and a first time mommy too :) We are expecting late December, I'll know more exact dates once we have our first U/S on May 14th. SO EXCITED!

Listen to your body, don't overeat, and keep moving. As long as you are conscious about it, you should do fine! I am following the "Daily Dozen" in what to expect, and that keeps me MORE than full all day long while meeting all of my baby's needs. I also walk every day at least 2 miles, sometimes 3 if I am up to it. And I bowl twice a week in bowling leagues :)

CONGRATS!!!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    First timer here, too. Not exactly sure what I'll be doing but I hope to follow in the footsteps of my friends who managed to stay active throughout and just keep eating healthy as much as possible. Very few of my friends have gained much (excess) baby weight so I'm hoping their good habits rub off on me.

I'm only 8 weeks now, so there is a long way to go. I teach so I'm on my feet all day. I've gone for walks the evenings that I am not completely exhausted and am thinking of picking up the Tracey Anderson Pregnancy Project videos (I am terrible at doing strength training but love her other videos so maybe I'll stick with it).

During the first 6 weeks, I did NOTHING outside of work. This is an IVF pregnancy (my second, I miscarried in January at about 6 weeks) so I think I'm being a little overly cautious. But I'm constantly reminding myself now that it's a normal pregnancy at this point and I can do anything any other mom-to-be does.