Hypothyroid & not hungry.

Options
Hi_Im_Jess
Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
So my main issue is that at work, I barely ever have time for breakfast or lunch. Yesterday I only net 48 calories by the end of the day. I have hypothyroidism and I'm taking synthroid 100mch (dont know if that matters, just getting it out there) so what Im asking for is some advice and ideas. What are some things I can bring to work and snack on throughout the day since I barely ever have time to eat until I get home and then all I want to do is take a shower and go to sleep. I can feel my energy levels dropping and I would love some tips on how to bring that back up so Im not exhausted at the end of the day. Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Why not try to have a big breakfast at home before you leave for work, if you know that there is barely time to eat it there? Oatmeal, egg omelette etc. are great to kick start the day and the calories will give you energy. As for snacks try to bring almonds, apple with peanut butter. Small snacks that are calorie dense. And also if you have time at the weekend why not prepare dinner ahead and freeze it. Take it out Of The freezer the morning you want to eat it and heat it up at night.

I think if you are planning your day ahead you might have better chances to get your calories in. Netting 47 calories is just gonna bring your metabolism completely down.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I too have hypothyroidism..agre with all the above.

Another thought, you being so tired by the end of the night sure could be from lack of nutrients throughout the day, but another thing is to be sure that your thyroid levels are right for you. I was on Synthryoid and I had to be slightly above the mid range. I switched to Armour and my T4 levels are now at the lower end, but the Free T3 is at the upper end and I am doing fine. So, again, you just need to make sure they aren't just saying you are in the range becuase it is a wide range. You have to know what range is optimal for you...meaning where you feel good, don't have issues gaining or losing, and don't display any of the symptoms....ok ramble over.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    Im one of those annoying people that has a tough time eating breakfast because I have to be at work at 8am and I cant stand the thought of eating that early. I've also been told that you shouldnt eat for at least an hour after taking synthroid, do you guys find that to be true?
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    I also plan my meals on Sundays, I just either dont have time to eat at work or dont have the energy after work. I'm lucky if I get 10 minutes to eat throughout my day so I think smaller things I can sneak here and there are the best option for me.. Ive been known to inhale a granola bar in the bathroom at times lol
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I completely understand about not being hungry. I ate 600 calories yesterday and ended with a 1500 calorie deficit. I have a doctor's appointment scheduled for next Tuesday because of my exhaustion levels. Something isn't right.

Try having a protein shake in the morning. It's super-fast, goes down pretty easy, and keeps you full. Sometimes when I am really not feeling well, it's the only thing that will do to keep my calories up where I want them (I'm trying to net at least 1800/day - obviously I was a big fail yesterday.). I precook a lot of my food on weekends and package it into small containers so that LITERALLY all I have to do is nuke it for a minute and find a fork. It has helped some.

You really should see your doctor about how tired you are, though, if eating more is not helping you have more energy.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    Luckily Im seeing my doctor today after work, Im going to ask to have my thyroid checked. Im wondering if my medication needs to be adjusted. That might be another reason Im just so blah, tired, depressed, you name it. Ive always been a good eater (sometimes too good lol) so I dont understand how all of the sudden I barely eat, this isnt normal for me at all.
  • CBell223
    CBell223 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that you aren't supposed to eat calcium for an hour after or 1/2 hour before you take your thyroid. I believe that other food is ok.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Also be aware you are messing with those hormones when you under-eat. You can make the situation worse.

Can't have an earlier alarm, take your meds right their by bed, and have a second alarm? Then breakfast is possible.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    I never heard about the calcium, my medication bottle says no food for an hour.

Does anyone take their medication at night?
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    I'm getting better with breakfast, I set up smoothies for the week in ziplock bags and in the morning I throw it all in my nutribullet and take it to work.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I take desiccated thyroid. I wake up at 5:45am and take my meds and go back to bed depending on my work schedule.
    I find this works best for me personally.

Netting such low calories is just plain bad. There's a million foods you can take on the go in a brown bag. The grocery store is a good place to start for ideas...
    In all seriousness EAT MORE. It's not just about weight, You are starving your brain and organs. It's just plain stupid.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    Thanks so much for your positive advice.