hippie_spirit
hippie_spirit Posts: 104 Member
Do you guys count carbs or net carbs?

Replies

• teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Net carbs.

I did change my goals and settings on MFP though to match Medifast.
  • sstratto01
    Options
    On the Medifast program they only count carbs - not net carbs. The whole concept of net carbs is still not settled science (if anything is with nutrition). Also, the way some packaging counts net carbs (or their own marketing term) are not uniform (yet?).

There was a post on the medifast forums in the support area where the nutrition counselor briefly discussed net carbs.

The program focuses on reducing carbs below 100 a day - all carbs. If you look at the food and the amount we consume(d) it really does work out to less than 100 - the variable is what you use for your lean and green. This is one reason they don't let you have things like carrots or fruits - higher carb count but low net carbs (I think).

I will tell you the plan works. I was very focused and 100% on plan (plus drank a ton of water) and lost over 80 pounds in a short period of time. I am now in maintenance.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I count all carbs. The thing with net carbs is....if it's miscalculated, it doesn't work out in your favor. I just feel 'safer' counting all carbs.
  • hippie_spirit
    hippie_spirit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    thanks!! i just noticed that on some of the medifast meals in the mfp database people have changed the carbs to (net carbs). just wanted to make sure I was doing it right :-)
  • luvinmefirst
    luvinmefirst Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I count all carbs!
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    thanks!! i just noticed that on some of the medifast meals in the mfp database people have changed the carbs to (net carbs). just wanted to make sure I was doing it right :-)

That drives me freaking *insane*.

In my mind, if it's an item that you're sharing with the entire database, it should have *exactly* what's written on the label. If it doesn't.....then store it in 'my foods', and use it yourself to your heart's content, without making everyone else swim past your altered entry in the database. :-P

It wouldn't bother me if there weren't already a million database entries that are personalized, or just plain wrong, making it terribly hard to find the right, or at least unaltered entry. It would help if MFP would make their 'official' entries show up first in a list, but they don't, and I can't figure out why.
  • dugrn
    dugrn Posts: 47
    Options
    I like your idea of official entries showing first.

I have gotten in the habit of checking every MFP entry with a couple of different sources. Too many liberties are taken by some when entering.

Net Carbs?? I try not to go by net carbs but I would be lying if I didn't say that i do look at it sometimes. The old "Atkins" guy in me can't help it. The simplicity of total carbs is hard to argue.
  • JackieMac979
    JackieMac979 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I mainly pay attention to total carbs, and I agree that whatever is entered in the database should match the label! It's easy enough to check a daily fiber count with a glance. I try not to have products with tons of sugar alcohols, and I lose better if my carbs are even lower than the typical MF guidelines of 80-100 per day. I configured my MFP goals to support my maximum macro ratios.