Pregnant Runners Thread!

Options

Replies

• AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Question ladies.. how intense are your workouts/runs?? I would like to know this since I am not sure if I am running a lot faster then I should be. I would like to know your miles per minutes and your average speed. I don't want to give up running but I am concerned.

This is going to depend on how fast you were before you were pregnant! I ran 11-13 minute miles (depending whether it was say, a 5K or a half marathon) and am pretty much running about the same now, with my training runs usually being 12-13 minute miles. For you that might be too slow - if you were running 8 minute miles before being pregnant, for example. General rule of thumb s don't push too hard - every pregnant run should be an easy run. (That doesn't mean don't work up a sweat - it just means don't push for a faster pace or longer distance than before pregnancy.)
  • BaysiderNY
    BaysiderNY Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying girls. You guys are a lot faster then I am.. lol. I shouldn't be worried then. I can try to do 3 miles per workout session.. takes me about 45-50 mins.. so I should be fine. Also, embarassing thing but with every step, I have an urge to pee.. lol. Is it safe to use panty liners??
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Pantiliners are definitely safe. I find some days I have to pee every half mile and some days I'm good for the whole run, it just depends how baby is sitting I guess. Gets very irritating! :(
  • aprilkida
    aprilkida Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well, today I only made it 14 minutes into my jog before I had pelvic pain, enough to make me stop and walk. I'm not upset I had to slow down to a walk, I just wonder how long I'll be able to keep it up. I'm 16 weeks today. I guess I'll just have to take it day by day and do what I can and no more than that.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    I find some days I just can't run as frustrating as it is, and some days I'm totally fine. It just varies, I think it has to do with baby growth spurts and muscles stretching, but it's frustrating.
  • beuniqueheather
    Options
    Yea! SO happy for find a group of pregnant runners!
  • Cucumberburps
    Cucumberburps Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Pregnant runners?! I'm not alone!! I'm brand new into pregnancy ( 5 weeks), and long term into running. I'm training to do a 10K at the end of May, I was training to do a PB but I might have to be happy with just finishing. It's only a month away, and I'll only be 9 weeks by then so I'm being optimistic! Imagine setting a PB with a little grape sized traveler running with you :)

So happy to have found this group, not only is it hard to find fellow pregnant runners but even harder to ask for advice when you're not telling your family and friends about being pregnant yet!
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I jogged probably the last time on Monday at 33 weeks preggo since my sciatic is really messing up my back/legs right now :O(. My endurance was shot first trimester since I was puking all the time and got really dehydrated. It'll take a while to get back into it after baby is born!
  • aprilkida
    aprilkida Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was encouraged today. This week I had gotten back into jogging after taking the 1st trimester off because of 4 intense colds back to back to back, plus 10 weeks straight of morning sickness. I've ran 4 times this week. The first 3, I was only able to make it 13-15 minutes before I either got too exhausted or ended up with intense pelvic pain. Today I was able to make it 33 minutes before I got exhausted, which is about where I was at before I had to take a break. Although my pace was much slower and I didn't go nearly as far as I used to, I was very encouraged I was able to get my time back up to where I was used to. Makes me a happy camper and I hope I can continue for awhile longer through this pregnancy :)
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    For those of you runners who have in the past started back running postpartum while breastfeeding....what kind of support did you have to use? Did you have to double up on sports bras? Or did you just get larger sizes of sports bras? Although I haven't gained that much weight, there is no way my good sports bras are going to fit me postpartum, especially when my milk comes in...and I have heard it can be painful to run at first! Also, were you able to build up to a normal training routine (long runs, interval-type training for races), or did you have to wait until after weaning to really get back into it?
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in to give hope to those of you who want to run but have been sidelined for whatever pregnancy reason.

Up until about week 6 I was a very serious, competitive runner (multiple marathons, lots of trail races, half ironman, etc). During the first tri I very reluctantly gave up running because it felt like it further churned up my nauseous stomach, plus I felt exhausted all the time and had lots of aches and pains. I kept swimming with my master's team throughout the first tri, but then the workouts got to be too much.

Enter water running! I love it! It's so energizing and easy on the joints, not to mention a real workout! You can run around the shallow end (with hand paddles if you want an arm workout). Many pools have weight belts that patrons can use and then you can do water running workouts in the deep end. It's so easy on your joints. I always feel really energized afterward, like I got a land workout but without the impact. And now, at almost 39 weeks, it's the only real workout I get. Walking feels so much worse.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Still running here! 25 weeks. I get in 3 runs a week, 3-4 miles, then a long run on sundays about 6 miles. I have to constantly tell myself to slow down. Though the need to pee definately helps the slowing down process.

I'm still racing, doing a 10k on mothers day weekend.
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Wow I am really impressed and inspired by you girls!!
    The ones who are still racing and the ones who are listening to their bodies and giving it a rest (both require lots of determination and self discipline)! And happy to see some people on here like me who are jogging little bits here and there when it feels right :)
    Super cool to have a little "village" of pregnant runners!

Went for a 2.5 mile jog/run today- 2 12 min miles with some walking in between when my belly started aching.
    I wore my Fit2Bmom top for the first time- it is super fitted and I felt really pregnant in it! I really like it though :)

Is it worth it for less intense runners like me (2-3 miles 2-3 x/week) to invest in a support belt? Will that help stop the crampy feeling and allow me to run more without walking breaks?
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a less intense runner, and I purchased a support belt. I don't think it will stop the walking breaks though that has to do with the heart rate (for me at least). The belt helps from keeping me pitched forward. At 20 weeks and not really showing I don't think I "need" it and sometimes it feels cumbersome but I will keep wearing it.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Really happy! I made it up to four miles today since my morning sickness ended about 1.5 months ago. It took me 45 minutes. Not bad! I walked a bit and did the stair treadmill afterwards. Hopefully I will be back to six miles soon. :)

I am curious to see how you ladies with a support belt like them? I read comments on motherhood maternity and a lot of them said it makes a huge difference, especially for walking/running. I want to get one but not sure which to choose. If anyone can give me some feedback?
  • jaimemariel
    Options
    I bought the Gabriella band from Amazon. I find it a bit cumbersome. But I'm not really showing yet. It might be a godsend once I get a big bigger. Part of the cumbersome factor: Is itchy, so I have to wear a belly band under it because I don't want it touching my skin. Buy a size up they say. I did it it fits fine.
  • gingerjager
    gingerjager Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've run off and on since my 20s but a year ago decided to really make an effort. I've done about 7 5ks in that time and 2 8ks. I'm not fast...my best times were about 8:30 miles. But I felt good. A littleness frequently in winter but also taking cycling classes. (I'm 36 years old).

I'm 9 weeks today. Have run 2 5ks since finding out, another this weekend. Not as much running between because of low energy and nausea all day. But I'm going to keep up! I didn't exercise through my three other pregnancies and I regret it. Want to stay active this time. I'm happy to find this group because no one I know has run while pregnant! My OB said I could keep it up but listen to my body. At my last 5k last weekend, I had to pee so bad after 1 mile!

I'm glad the weather is nicer because that makes it easier for me to get outside. Winter running kinda sucked.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I bought the Gabriella band from Amazon. I find it a bit cumbersome. But I'm not really showing yet. It might be a godsend once I get a big bigger. Part of the cumbersome factor: Is itchy, so I have to wear a belly band under it because I don't want it touching my skin. Buy a size up they say. I did it it fits fine.

Thanks for this info. I still run pretty comfortably but I worry about the bump jiggling up and down when I run. Lol. And I have some intense back pain every now and then. Hoping it helps me keep my posture while I run.
  • jaimemariel
    Options

Thanks for this info. I still run pretty comfortably but I worry about the bump jiggling up and down when I run. Lol. And I have some intense back pain every now and then. Hoping it helps me keep my posture while I run.

From the reviews on Amazon, a lot of women who are not runners wear this belt to help with the low back pain! I might do that too later on.
  • ajzmann
    ajzmann Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hey gals! I just ran a 10 mile race this weekend (14 weeks along) and felt GREAT. Seems the fatigue of the first trimester is on its way out the door. I had to keep reminding myself to slow it down, actually. I finished only five minutes slower than last year, so I am thrilled with my result. The last three miles, however, were tough because I felt like there was pressure on my bladder and I had to pee. When I would walk, the sensation would go away. HOW ANNOYING.

One more race (13.1!) and then I'm hanging up my distance shoes til post-bebe.