hot/warm low cal snack ideas!

Options
fragilegift
fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
I am looking for inspiration on some hot or warm snacks (under 200cals or so) now that its winter in Tassie and I'm freezing my bum off. Extra coffee isn't the answer, nor are Cup A Soups (I'll suss out the other ones in the supermarket though, to check the cals on them). Most snacky things are cold. Fruit, cheese, etc.

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Certainly is getting cold down here. You can make your own veggies soups that are pretty low in calories. Mixed veggie and lentils or pumpkin are some of my favouries. If you've got enough some spare calories have them with a small bread roll. I also like making things like dahl and red bean chilli which you can have a pretty decent and filling serving of for 100-200 calories.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Pop corn is nice and can be eaten warm.
  • jessicalchislett
    Options
    Hi all - its getting cold up here in Canberra too!

No suggestions for you off the top of my head but my only advice would be to watch the cup-a-soup and other soup items from the supermarket - most aren't too bad in terms of calories but they tend to be seriously high in sodium - my favourite until i looked into it more was the cup-a-soup mushroom and bacon which was only 100ish cals but had over 800mg sodium which is well over a third of your daily intake in a tiny cup!

Typing this and a suggestion came to me - I love a hot bowl of oatmeal to warm me up in winter - a serve of oats made with almond milk (slightly more cals if you use regular) is only 135 cals and you can lots of things to sweeten or savoury it up which would top it out at about 200 cals and at least 5g protein!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Herbal tea is a great way to warm up as well
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Cook an apple, add cinnamon and low fat custard or sultana's.
  • kitza101
    kitza101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    A small banana chopped up with some warm custard can be done for 150-200 cals, depending on the size of the banana and the type of custard. And it's delicious :)
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I cook a batch of spicy beef meatballs every now and then, which are great to reheat for a quick lean protein hit. Great post workout.
    You could also try these meatballs:
    http://friskylemon.com/2013/03/13/st-pattys-day-spinach-turkey-meatballs/
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    carrie brown's hot and nutty cereal.

http://www.marmaladeandmileposts.com/archives/21240

it's not exactly low in cals (1/3 of a cup is just under 300 cals), but it's really lovely. I love it. I have made it many times, tastes better with milk imo.
  • purplepiggy1
    Options
    You could find some low cal bread ( I like Country Split) and have some toats with peanut butter, vegemite etc
    I love my low cal Jarrah hot chocolates
  • ftwmc
    ftwmc Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I make vegi soup but use celery, onion and chilli to flavour, also try oysters, scallops or mussels fried ( a little olive oil) with garlic, ginger and chilli
  • sheldonsteyn
    sheldonsteyn Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Home made soups are the best!! taste wise and health wise. Also google a high protein low carb recipe for banana bread!
  • fredhack
    fredhack Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    One large bowl has approximately 150 calories so makes a great meal replacement. When you feel Hungry, eat the soup. I even have it for breakfast if I’m hungry.
    Keep your meals to soup, fruit and salad and you will drop kilos. NO BREAD, BISCUITS, POTATOES OR RICE
    Other things you can add to taste. Garlic, Worchester sauce, Curry powder.

Amount Step
    1 Olive oil Spay can. Couple of squirts 1/ Put a couple of sprays of olive oil in the pot and add the chopped onion. Until
    translucent.
    2 Onion Either 4 Large / 5 Med or 6 small 2/ add about half a litre of water.
    3 Water 1.5 Litres 3/ add the chopped celery (including the leaf), carrot and wombok
    4 Celery 8 stalks. Include all the leaf 4/ Pour in the two cans of tomato, Vegeta, stock cubes and chilli flakes.
    5 Carrots 10 5/ Add one litre of water and bring pot to the boil.
    6 ½ Cabbage ½ Wombok cabbage is best 6/ After it comes to the boil, put it onto a strong simmer for 30 – 40 minutes.
    (until the carrots are soft) Keep the lid on the pot.
    7 Turkey mince Lean beef will do (turkey is best) 7/ Puree the cooked ingredients. Stick blender is easiest if you have one. Do it to the consistency you like (Personal preference)
    8 Vegeta 2 tablespoons. Chicken and or veg 8/ Fry off your mince with a squirt of oil.
    9 Stock cubes Chicken or Beef 9/ Add the cooked mince to the pot and blend again (just a bit) to break up
    the mince.
    10 Chilli flakes To taste 10/ Add the frozen vegetables and the chick peas. The hot soup will
    defrost the frozen veg in a few minutes so you can eat it straight away
    11 Tomato Two large 800 ml cans I put the soup into a Large container and keep it in the fridge. You may
    want to split it and keep some in the freezer. It normally keeps for

12 Frozen veg Carrot, peas, corn. (Cheap brand will do)
    13 Chick Peas Three cans
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Go for black tea.
    Apples (royal gala) are about 80 cal and have a great taste.
    Go easy on dry fruit as they are rich in calories.
    If you're into the protein shake thing then there's no reason why one couldn't make one with hot skim milk or water.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • lulz14
    lulz14 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Dessert:

Get a large apple, cut into big chucks, simmer a little bit of water until soft, into an oven proof dish (muffin tray works), add some cinnamon top with a very small amount of oats, coconut mixed with half a teaspoon of margarine and sprinkle some equal or sugar substitute over the top. As long as you use a VERY small amount of oat mixture it tastes like you're eating something really bad, but I believe it would have around 250cals.

Good with custard.