Cravings

Options
jg4ever
jg4ever Posts: 85 Member
I went to a carnival today and there was all sugar there. I got thru that just fine. I ate a quest bar for lunch boy was that good and kept me full for a long time. I got home and ordered pizza and dessert pizza for the family. I had chicken patties and cottage cheese. I went over on carbs today by 44 however I'm on 5% carbs. I'm new to this (just started Wednesday) and I also gave up pop at the same time. I'm really craving carbs right now. Mainly the dessert pizza and pop sugar give me sugar. Is this normal?? If so how long will it last?? Boy O Boy.

Thank you for your help and advice in advance. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• steepedintruth
    steepedintruth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cravings can be tough to manage. Staying consistently hydrated throughout the day can help a little bit. Carb-dodging takes a fair bit of water, maybe even more than the "standard" eight cups a day. To help with the cravings, you may want to look into water flavorings like Crystal Light or Mio. The trick is to not rely on them for staying hydrated, lest you become dependent on that sweetness, so I'd recommend (based on zero training or expertise, mind you) to have a normal-sized bottle of water that you flavor as you like, then have a second, larger container of unflavored water to hold onto. If at any point you feel like you want to cut back on the flavorings, you can always dilute it, too.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Cravings should get easier with time, focus and dedication to keto/LCHF. I've been doing keto since Nov 2012, and have made it through the holidays, multiple family gatherings, and 2 ice cream cakes in my house this month alone without missing them.

If you look around, and do some research you can find super yummy substitutes for almost every craving, be it sweet, salty or crunchy. I used Evernote and created a Keto notebook, that has pages dedicated to Shopping List (foods that I should have in the house), Desserts, Entrees, Lunch, Snacks, Breakfast, etc. Anytime someone posts a tip, note, or recipe I copy it into that notebook. Since the app is on my phone, ipad, kindle, and laptop, I have those lists and recipes with me all the time, so I have no excuses.

A great book filled with awesome easy recipes, and awesome desserts is the Fat Fast Cookbook, by Dana Carpender, Kindle only: http://alturl.com/7hawh.

Put your head down and push through these first few weeks, and hopefully the cravings will subside for you as well. Good luck!!
  • jg4ever
    Options
    Thank you both. I got thru last night just fine better than I thought I would do I didn't eat any of the bad stuff. I'm going to go buy some of those quest bars to help with some of my sweet cravings. Thanks again.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Cravings get better with time. Give it a month or so and you won't even miss sweets.

If you are having sugar cravings though, I suggest getting some sugar free pudding mix, and making it with heavy whipping cream, as it really hits the spot and there are literally tons of different flavors.

You have to watch the carb count though.

I have a digital scale, so what I do is I weigh out the dry measure (I usually go with 8 grams) and then add 1/4 a cup of heavy whipping cream to it, and it makes a decent serving without obliterating my carb intake limit.

Here is the visual on the nutrition info if it helps:

GWm9TTrl.png
  • jg4ever
    Options
    What a great idea SadKitty27. I just went to the store so I will have to buy some of that stuff the next time I go. I just bought Dannon light and fit blueberry greek yogurt and that is a great really hit the spot. Thank you everyone so much for your help it means the world to me. I'm over on my carbs again today but I'm getting there and I'm working hard to get it lower every day. It also helps that I have a supportive husband, family and friends. Thanks again. :flowerforyou:
  • belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My favorite craving killer is diet root beer and heavy cream. Tastes like a float and is very filling.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello helps me a lot. I really like sugar free gel bites I can buy at Sheetz. A little bit of very dark chocolate helps a lot too.
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Something that has really helped me is incorporating chocolate. On days when I know I need a boost, I make my bulletproof coffee with 100% cocoa first thing in the morning. It is so comforting and keeps me satisfied until lunchtime, and by then I am ready for non-sweet food. This sets me up for a successful day because I feel like I had dessert for breakfast.

If I have a craving after dinner, I will have a piece raw chocolate (I buy some from Whole Foods that are made with 100% cocoa and coconut oil). Having just one for 2 carbs usually satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    My favorite craving killer is diet root beer and heavy cream. Tastes like a float and is very filling.

Also... diet orange soda and heavy cream, on ice.
  • lilystipe
    lilystipe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is genius.
  • DarksideNFO
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Emerald Cocoa Roasted Almonds? Takes the chocolate cravings away quick for me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/emerald-cocoa-roast-almonds-dark-chocolate-flavor-net-carbs-71545145

You can get 2.5 lbs at Sams Club for under 13 bucks. My wife turned 2.5 cups of these into a cocoa hinted almond butter. And it doesn't knock me out of ketosis.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    . My wife turned 2.5 cups of these into a cocoa hinted almond butter. And it doesn't knock me out of ketosis.

I love both the cocoa almonds and the cinnamon almonds, although the cinnamon ones are a lot harder to find. I can't beleive i never thought to make my own almond butter with them!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the cinnamon ones as much, too much like Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal which i have had traumatic experiences with. The Cocoa Roast ones are JUST LIKE Cocoa Puffs, and so much nummier to me.
  • denise8986
    denise8986 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    when using the whipping cream in the diet soda do you whip it first or just pour it in?
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    What a great idea SadKitty27. I just went to the store so I will have to buy some of that stuff the next time I go. I just bought Dannon light and fit blueberry greek yogurt and that is a great really hit the spot. Thank you everyone so much for your help it means the world to me. I'm over on my carbs again today but I'm getting there and I'm working hard to get it lower every day. It also helps that I have a supportive husband, family and friends. Thanks again. :flowerforyou:

I would suggest trying to find alternatives for yogurt and such things, they are definitely not low in carbs, and if you are only eating 5% carbs, you probably are not alloted all that much and most likely why you keep going over. That is most likely taking up a lot of the carbs you get.

Also, the more you eat that doesn't have sugar in it, the less cravings you will get. I keep my sugar very low, it is usually below 20g for the day, and I don't have any cravings for anything sweet. It is definitely harder when you are in public or at family get togethers because it is right in your face, but try to cut out the foods with the sugar in them and see if that helps you too :)

Good Luck!