Why do you knit?

Options
joeysrib
joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
I took up knitting for real, after my Mama died. I knew how to knit before that, but never finished any projects. It has been a blessing in my life, without knitting, my brain was in chaos, I couldn't focus. It calms my brain, and settles my heart. Nothing will replace my Mama, but knitting makes it hurt less.

So, why do you knit?

Replies

• scrapmonkey
    scrapmonkey Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Initially, I knit because I really enjoy creating things - for myself and for others. I think that's why I started (it was so many years ago), and I still do get that sense of accomplishment. But now it is great to do while watching TV. My husband is disabled in part due to an accident which left him with major back damage so his major source of entertainment is TV. If I want to spend time with him, that's what I do. Knitting makes it feel less brainless and more "active" (not in a physical sense of course), like my time is spent more worthily.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, I had a friend who knit and it looked like fun. I really wanted to learn. When I finally did, I realized I was right and it is fun. I enjoy the process more than anything. The fact that I have something useful at the end is a bonus.
  • BEB54
    BEB54 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to learn to knit and starting knitting 4 years ago. I have lupus and fibromyalgia, so knitting helped me get my mind off my pain. Since then in 2012 both my siblings were diagnosed with stage IV cancer and it has been a roller coaster ride to say the least. Knitting is a great stress reliever, it calms me, and usually I am making something for a friend/relative so I feel like I am doing something positive for someone else.
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I took up knitting while I was sick in the hospital. I have a chronic illness called Pulmonary Hypertension and I am on disability. I am stable now but I continue to knit on a daily basis. It grounds me and lets me sit back and enjoy my life around me. I think of knitting as my own form of yoga or meditation. I love it!
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm a total fiberphile. I love sewing and making stuff with fabric. Saw my sisters and mom knitting and I got really jealous that they could make awesome things with another type of fiber craft and I couldn't. I haven't been successful at knitting yet, but I picked up crocheting a lot faster, and have been making stuff like crazy every since.
  • jessicae1aine
    jessicae1aine Posts: 885
    Options
    I started knitting because my grandmother had taught me, and my siblings, to crochet... but I wanted to be different. (Of course, my sister started knitting at about the same time. So much for originality!)

Now, I knit to vent anger, or every time someone is having a baby (even random people I barely know) that I believe would take decent care of it, because I'm a sucker for little babies, and everyone deserves hand-knit baby things.
  • HeatherF234
    HeatherF234 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I always seem to have to be doing some craft project, whether it's sewing, cross stitch or knitting. It helps relax me at the end of the day and keeps my hands busy so I'm not tempted to eat.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    honestly? because it is part of my job.

and because my husband really really really likes hand knit socks.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I love yarn, I enjoy cursing, and I'm apparently a masochist....(slowly working through the Tom Baker season 12 Dr. Who scarf for the husband.) My goal is socks, but they intimidate me. I will conquer socks and mittens someday though!
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    I love yarn, I enjoy cursing, and I'm apparently a masochist....(slowly working through the Tom Baker season 12 Dr. Who scarf for the husband.) My goal is socks, but they intimidate me. I will conquer socks and mittens someday though!

socks are super easy. they are almost the only thing i every knit.
  • scrapmonkey
    Options

I did have to laugh a little at the masochist comment.

I agree with iysys, socks (at least in their basic form) are relatively easy - the hardest part for me is picking up stitches for the gusset. Mittens are a little bit more fidgety but not much, and gloves are definitely fidgety with all the fingers. When you do socks, you learn the fascination and joy (and I do not say this sarcastically) of turning the heel. You will sit there after you are done and go - that was cool! Some people find the closing of the toe with the kitchener stitch daunting, but I find a certain peace in the rhythm of it.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

I did a Doctor Who scarf for my husband. He was beyond thrilled when he opened it on xmas day. He said, "Where did you find this?!" I was like, :huh: "Ya know, babe, I am a knitter." :laugh: As for socks, I got the book Sensational Knitted Socks, which everyone said was great for beginners. I couldn't figure it out. I found Silver's sock class and once I went through it, socks made sense. http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm
  • tonyoconnor129
    tonyoconnor129 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Because I needed to do something with my dogs fur, which I spun into yarn...Now I'm hooked.
  • tonyoconnor129
    Options
    And check out my second picture---it's my Dr Who scarf, from the um, 18th season ;-)
  • scrapmonkey
    Options
    Because I needed to do something with my dogs fur, which I spun into yarn...Now I'm hooked.

I so want to try this someday, but first I need to get the hang of regular spinning. I was told I would need to combine it a bit with another more "toothy"yarn for the best spin. We've probably only have her around for another year, so that window of opportunity is closing. But it would be such a great keepsake of her.
  • tonyoconnor129
    Options
    I made three "Velvet" Scarves. One for me, one for my wife, and one we gave to our Vet at Banfield in South Carolina
    shortly after Velvet received final care. It was a pretty emotional time for all of us. It's not often you see a vet cry...
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I crochet for my sanity. ;) It keeps me listening and not talking during discussion groups etc.
  • mikejskyfitness
    mikejskyfitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I crochet because I love making something tangible (I own a web design business, and its nice to be able to hold something you've made instead of just looking at it), and because its better to have yarn in my hands while watching TV than a bag of potato chips!
  • Myrtbbk
    Myrtbbk Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For Christmas, when I was 6 (60 yrs ago) one of my grandmas gave me a "learn to knit" kit for a scarf. She was a dressmaker, so also taught me to sew, crochet and embroider. I've made many things over the years, but back in the 90's I put away my needles and moved on to other hobbies. I picked it up again a few years ago and have been knitting and crocheting ever since. I've been making baby blankets for all my friend's grand babies, as well as shawls for the new moms. I love wearing shawls, too, so have made quite a few for myself. I have trouble following my favorite cable patterns, since my eyesight is getting bad. I do have a magnifying glass/light that I could use, so will have to dig that out to use.
    I know, in the past, needlework has helped keep my hands busy, keeping me from snacking. I also love the sense of accomplishment when I finish a project. Now to get back to my two UFOs.
  • caro123shepp
    caro123shepp Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I learned to knit when I was 5 (fifty years ago) and I started crocheting when I was 10! I knit and have crochet projects simultaneously. It is so comforting and relaxing! I should do more! When knitting or crocheting it stops me from nibbling between meals!