What exercise do you do on off days

Options
Hi ladies,

The subject says it all really! Not lifting every day in order to give my body some time to repair but do any of you do another form of exercise on your off day. I don't know about you but I get a bit edgy if I'm not doing some exercise but don't want to over-do it.

Would be good to hear your thoughts
M

Replies

• victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I go on long walks with my doggies and try to do yoga at least once a week.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I just started Strong Lifts last week, but had been either doing "bodyweight" stuff, or ran done weights/machine at the gym - 2 or 3 times a week. In between days are either walks, bike rides, gardening, rock climbing..... Or nursing one of my frequent migraines.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    none! but thinking I ought to do some cardio.. either something at the gym (but then would be tempted by the weights) or a dvd at home etc..
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I do Couch to 5K on three of my four non lift days and the last day is a day of rest. :)
  • janeensan
    janeensan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zombies, Run! 5k on my off days.

I'm a total dork and love the whole zombie story line, so it keeps me involved and excited. I've even signed up to run in a zombie mud run in June.

Zombies, Run! 5k is an app that I put on my iPod. It goes on iPhone/Android, too.
    It's rather like listening to an audio book--except you're in the book! you are one of the players.
    You also get running drills and it will pull songs off your playlists throughout your workout to get you pumped.

It takes you from being a total couch potato to running a 5k in 8 weeks. Me being a potato and a zombie fan, this is perfect for me.

This
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I take a walk, I stretch.

Some of the most important parts of gaining strength happen when you are resting. Rest is critical to seeing the results that you want.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zombies, Run! 5k on my off days.

I'm a total dork and love the whole zombie story line, so it keeps me involved and excited. I've even signed up to run in a zombie mud run in June.

Zombies, Run! 5k is an app that I put on my iPod. It goes on iPhone/Android, too.
    It's rather like listening to an audio book--except you're in the book! you are one of the players.
    You also get running drills and it will pull songs off your playlists throughout your workout to get you pumped.

It takes you from being a total couch potato to running a 5k in 8 weeks. Me being a potato and a zombie fan, this is perfect for me.

This

I do that too, love me some Zombies, Run!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I do interval training on the treadmill or yoga. Now it's nice enough here I can start going outside. I try to keep it to about 40 minutes though. Flat sprints, hill sprints or if I'm feeling super worn out just a leisurely walk at incline. Yoga can vary from flexibility yoga to some more intense stuff like the Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper DVD's....although those are more like hybrid yoga workouts.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I do SL 3 days a week and then other stuff 2-3 other days. Right now my non-SL days are mostly cardio and core, but I'm starting to get back into plyometric intervals and will throw in a few body weight exercises.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Ideally, something you enjoy.

In the winter I do cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, skating. Indoors I do some time on the treadmill or stationary bike while I watch tv. (Those aren't really fun, but I seem to feel better if I do the cardio, so I still do it.) I find if I intersperse the fun stuff with the less fun it helps.

In warm weather I do biking and kayaking. I do some running, although it's hard when it gets REALLY hot, and then actually I often end up on the treadmill again because at least it's cool in my basement. Oh, and there's always walking, of course. Walking is great.

Sometimes I think about trying yoga but then I'm like, mmm, nah.

Sometimes if I am pressed for time and still want to get in some quick cardio I do some kind of circuit -type routine. You know, those high-intensity things, with jumping jacks, dips, bodyweight squats, blah blah blah.

I think the extra bit of cardio is good for me, personally, and helps keep me from becoming a completely lazy *kitten*. But that's just me.

Edit: What I meant by that last sentence was that not everyone does cardio, and that's fine. I didn't mean to imply that they are lazy *kitten*. But I know MY tendency to be a lazy *kitten* is very strong, so the cardio helps me fight that natural tendency.
  • MissSifaka
    MissSifaka Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I usually do road/trail run 2-3 times a week and try to do a 20 min pilates 2 times a week. I love Zombies, Run! just did the first run of season two today.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Last week I added reverse wrist curls to strengthen the top forearm muscles. I started playing drums again and noticed how sore and weak those muscles were feeling. It seems to be helping a little bit already.

I want to add some adore work, too. I kinda stopped a few weeks ago when I started doing weight lifting. I miss it though.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 days a week, I walk fast paced for about 50 mins to an hour 3 times a week and have Sunday off. I usually do some resistance band work on sunday though.
  • miche_ma_biche
    miche_ma_biche Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys really are a busy bunch! Thanks for all the replies it makes me feel better that I won't burn out if I go for a bike ride on top of doing SL.
    Think I might follow your example Jayliospecky and try and get some HIIT in, also your core workout jstout365 sounds like a good idea too (must work on abs!!)
    VegasBaby04, I have the Jillian Michael’s 30 Day Shred so maybe I’ll whack that on the DVD player again and do that on off days.
    Very jealous of all of you that run – I tore the arch of my foot last year and have been warned off running, boo!
    Thanks for all the feedback and as a newbie, if you’d like to add me I’ll try and offer some (very limited) knowledge but lots of support!!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I like to go hiking :)
    I take my pup with me so it's great for her too.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I usually lift on MWF. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I try to do a cardio DVD or go for a jog around the neighborhood. I don't really like running, but I get pressured occasionally to do a 5K, so I like to know I could do it if I had to. I like to do yoga one afternoon or evening a week, but I've skipped it a few weeks in a row. Now that the weather is getting nicer, we'll start going on family hikes on the weekend. We drag our kids up and down mountains, so it's a good exercise day for everyone. I also really like kayaking.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys really are a busy bunch! Thanks for all the replies it makes me feel better that I won't burn out if I go for a bike ride on top of doing SL.
    Think I might follow your example Jayliospecky and try and get some HIIT in, also your core workout jstout365 sounds like a good idea too (must work on abs!!)
    VegasBaby04, I have the Jillian Michael’s 30 Day Shred so maybe I’ll whack that on the DVD player again and do that on off days.
    Very jealous of all of you that run – I tore the arch of my foot last year and have been warned off running, boo!
    Thanks for all the feedback and as a newbie, if you’d like to add me I’ll try and offer some (very limited) knowledge but lots of support!!

I will be honest, I tried doing Ripped in 30 during my first cycle of SL on non-lifting days and it wasn't successful :laugh: I think it's the endurance stuff with weights that kicked my *kitten* but now I do barbell and dumbbell complexes immediately after my lifting sessions and that is totally fine :huh: Give it a try for sure.....maybe you will have better luck with it than I did!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I also tried one of the Jillian DVDs and I really disliked it. I kind of liked accomplishing it, and that it didn't take too much time, but then I quit. I forget why. I think I got sick, and then when I got better I just decided never to do it again.

I think I'm pretty meh on dvds in general. I used to do them back in the day when I did step aerobics. I still have my step, actually. But I think my brain hates the whole thing how you're forced to listen to the instructor and the crappy music and everything for the whole time. So now if I do indoor cardio I tend to choose stuff where I can either pick what I want to watch on tv or play my own music, at least.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Currently - none. I burned out at the beginning of April after doing a sprint triathlon (which I'd trained for alongside SL), changing roles at work, buying a house and being 4 months from getting married. I took 2 weeks off totally, got back to lifting mid-month and will finally start running gently again next week.

Life. It happens. Sometimes it gets in the way of fitness goals ;)
  • bimmer2331
    bimmer2331 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I run /spin/ kickbox on non lifting days....