How do you handle certain situations? (parties, BBQs, etc)

Options
carissar7
carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
I've been doing awesome so far and eating all the right things....but I find it difficult to stay on track during certain situations, especially now that it's getting warmer out. For instance I went to a car show yesterday, and the only thing they had to eat there was burgers and hot dogs. I asked to get a burger with no bun (they looked at me like I was crazy), just meat and cheese, but of course they didn't have any knives or forks (I'm also no stranger to lettuce buns but they had none of that either). So being that there was a huge line and I didn't feel like being difficult, I just ordered the burger the way it was and sucked it up. I felt like there was this huge brick sitting in my stomach the rest of the day but oh well. I know I'm probably being dramatic but I live on Long Island where summer is filled with lots of time being outside, BBQ's, beaches, camping trips, etc. I can see this being difficult for other people too, like vegans/vegetarians, not just paleo. When there is so much 'unhealthy' foods around you, what do you do? I know I can always cook and eat at home, but sometimes that's hard when you don't know how long you will be out for. Or should I just suck it up and eat the slice of pizza if it's all there is?

Replies

• msb803
    msb803 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a small meal at home before most of those situations, just to keep myself from overeating the wrong types of food. Also, I've ordered Primal Pacs and/or Paleo Kits in the past and those are fabulous to have on hand for events like this! I'm going backpacking this weekend, and we're taking four Primal Pacs with us so we'll have yummy/clean lunches to eat on the trail. If I'm going to someone's house, I always offer to bring something like a veggie plate, or some other Paleo dish so I know I'll have something to eat. I hope this helps. Good luck!

The websites for the kits I mentioned above: www.primalpacs.com and www.stevespaleogoods.com .
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster in that, for me pre-mealing before you go anywhere that the food is going to be questionable is always the way to go! It will also help you to start to make the transition to going to social events for the social aspect of things and not for the food. Eat before you go!
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I often carry nibbles in my purse or bag when going into places like this. Usually it's been nuts or carrot pieces -- but now that I'm supposed to be limiting plant protein for a couple of months I may have to break out the dehydrator and make more jerky.
    I also have a fair number of allergies and food sensitivities, so I'm not at all shy about waiving those flags. There are enough gluten-free folks around now that most places don't argue -- I just say wrap it in paper (or foil or whatever); I manage.
    Carry moist paper towels with just a little soap in case you wind up using your fingers.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I eat before I go to a fair and carry food that I can eat. For BBQs and parties, if I am expected to bring a dish to share I bring 2 or even 3 that I can eat. That way I am guaranteed something. Otherwise, I eat what I can. I will also not worry about calories at such an event. Making sure that I am full so that the goodies aren't as tempting.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I LOVE parties and BBQ's especially because I am pretty guaranteed there is going to be meat. I have zero, zilch, nada problems with taking a meat patty without a bun, lettuce or utensils. Matter of fact, I usually ask for 3 patties (no cheese) and fill my plate with the onions, lettuce or other toppings. I'll put a small pile of mustard in the corner of my plate and dip the burger direct into the mustard. Sure people will talk, but that gives me my platform for sharing my health changes.

At first they even laughed (or told me I was killing myself) - but then they notice the results. Often there are also a veggie platter.
    If there is zero meat at a party and no veggies - then I go for the unscheduled I.F. :)

Oh and...carissar..
    "So being that there was a huge line and I didn't feel like being difficult"
    Stop that behavior now ;) worry about yourself first. Saying, I'll take a burger no bun and eating it with your fingers is not being difficult. (might even connect you to your inner caveman)
    And don't every worry about what other people think or do.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Oh and...carissar..
    Stop that behavior now ;) worry about yourself first. Saying, I'll take a burger no bun and eating it with your fingers is not being difficult. (might even connect you to your inner caveman)

Agree with everyone above, but especially Mike's comment! Even if you get the bun, you don't have to eat it. Pizza, I just eat the toppings and leave the crust. Sandwiches, I eat the meat & veggies inside. I don't care what other people think, it's my body and I know how it reacts to gluten and sugar (it makes me feel like crap), so I avoid it.

I just plan ahead, especially in situations when I know food options will be limited. Be wary of any sauces at BBQs, they are usually loaded with some type of sugar. I try to always get the sauce on the side. Dry rubs can have a lot of sugars added, too - sometimes I scrape it off if I can. Parties I just plan ahead and eat what I can, most of the time I'm the one eating the majority of the veggie tray! :)
  • newtro0925
    newtro0925 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh and...carissar..

Agree with everyone above, but especially Mike's comment! Even if you get the bun, you don't have to eat it. Pizza, I just eat the toppings and leave the crust. Sandwiches, I eat the meat & veggies inside. I don't care what other people think, it's my body and I know how it reacts to gluten and sugar (it makes me feel like crap), so I avoid it.

These are great attitudes to have. I am still working on not allowing judgment to interfere with my new primal life style.
  • MelanieSpicegurl
    MelanieSpicegurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I also agree with everyone above !
    Summers almost here and we will all be out and about at various events ..
    Eat a bit before you go in case there is nothing Paleo/ Primal .. for you !

I also have a "Snack Pack " with me at all times .. Beef Jerky .. Tin of Sardines, Trail mix, piece of fruit and usually some type of utensils and hand wipes for Sticky Situations ..
    Burger .. bacon & cheese .. NO BUN .. NO PROBLEM!! lol !

I am proud of the changes I have made , and I don't mind being the Oddball eating the burger with no bun !
    Have fun , and don't be afraid to "be difficult" !
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    No problem for me. I am a king at the BBQ . Eat more meat, no bread and enjoy the natural vitamin D.
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ditch the bun after you order if you are concerned about being difficult....

I could care less really about what people think .... if they don't like what I eat... oh well...

Oh and I also will eat before I go, if I think there won't be "my kinda food" on the menu
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I generally inform people (if they are not already aware) of my condition as a Coeliac and bring my own food - even if they offer to cook mine separate, I will deny it and bring my own. I hate it when other people do stuff for me.

But otherwise, it's all out on the steak, eggs, potatoes and drinks. Hell yea.
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I had this problem this weekend. I was staying with friends and even when I said I don't eat wheat the menu was croissant for breakfast, risotto for lunch and couscous for dinner. I felt awful going to bed and 3 days later still don't feel "right". I have as far as I know no known intolerances so its tricky for me to be "awkward" and as their guest and they had gone to trouble shopping etc that even when I asked if I could go to the shop and contribute to the food they didn't want me to and without transport I couldn't get there anyway so I found I was totally stuck. As we had flown and had limited baggage i couldn't bring food with me like I would have if we had driven. i also noticed I started craving sugar again really badly after all those carbs. Not had cravings like that for months.

Anyway home now and can get back on track but not sure how to deal with a similar situation in the future (if I ever want to be invited by friends, dictating my food preferences seems far too demanding). I have no problems bringing my own food and as soon as I got near any shops I packed my bag full of salad and packs of smoked mackerel.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    croissant for breakfast, risotto for lunch and couscous for dinner

Friends? Friends don't let friends eat poison for all three meals :)
    Holy cow, I bet money they have a list of symptoms they haven't even identified.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I had this problem this weekend. I was staying with friends and even when I said I don't eat wheat the menu was croissant for breakfast, risotto for lunch and couscous for dinner. I felt awful going to bed and 3 days later still don't feel "right". I have as far as I know no known intolerances so its tricky for me to be "awkward" and as their guest and they had gone to trouble shopping etc that even when I asked if I could go to the shop and contribute to the food they didn't want me to and without transport I couldn't get there anyway so I found I was totally stuck. As we had flown and had limited baggage i couldn't bring food with me like I would have if we had driven. i also noticed I started craving sugar again really badly after all those carbs. Not had cravings like that for months.

Anyway home now and can get back on track but not sure how to deal with a similar situation in the future (if I ever want to be invited by friends, dictating my food preferences seems far too demanding). I have no problems bringing my own food and as soon as I got near any shops I packed my bag full of salad and packs of smoked mackerel.
    If you were a vegetarian would they have forced you to eat meat? Probably not. Next time, insist on going to the store to buy what you can eat. Ask for eggs. Most friends would be more than willing to scramble up a couple of eggs or offer to make them for yourself.

Don't be afraid to say you are intolerant to wheat and other grains. The fact that you felt awful going to bed after eating it says that you are intolerant. You don't have to have an allergy to be intolerant.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I will bring a side dish that I can have, and eat just the meat, and anything paleo. If anyone asks say it makes you sick.