Ayurveda Books

Options
Please feel free to share the books you are using in your Ayurvedic journey here!

I've found Ayurvedic Cooking for Self-Healing by Usha Lad & Dr. Vasant Lad very helpful. It is full of wonderful, delicious recipes and has chapters on the principles of Ayurvedic medicine as well. It's a great starter book.

Replies

• FitChicFab2013
    Options
    I'll have to look that up as I don't have many recipes at all, and I love the idea of an introduction to Ayurvedic medicine!

The book I'm currently reading is Deepak Chopra's (2010-01-19). Perfect Weight (Perfect Health Library) Random House UK - no recipes :(, but it's easy to understand (woop!)

Chapters
    1 - UNDERSTANDING THE TRUE NATURE OF YOUR MIND AND BODY
    - A VERY BRIEF HISTORY YOUR BODY AS IT REALLY IS
    - METABOLISM AND SELF-REFERRAL GETTING STARTED
    2 - DISCOVERING YOUR AYURVEDIC BODY TYPE VATA, PITTA, KAPHA
    YOUR BODY TYPE
    3 - MASTERING THE KEY TO WEIGHT LOSS
    - BALANCING YOUR SYSTEM
    - HOMEOSTASIS
    - THE IMPORTANCE OF A DAILY ROUTINE
    - EATING LUNCH AT THE SAME TIME EVERY DAY
    - CREATING A SUCCESSFUL DAILY ROUTINE
    4 - USING THE POWER OF YOUR DIGESTION TO LOSE WEIGHT
    - BODY INTELLIGENCE TIPS
    5 - EATING RIGHT WITHOUT DIETING
    - KAPHA-REDUCING FOODS
    - PRACTICAL TECHNIQUES FOR RESTORING BALANCE
    - EATING TO TRANSFORM YOURSELF
    - HERBAL SUPPLEMENTS FOR WEIGHT CONTROL
    - THE EFFORTLESS DIET
    6 - EXERCISE WITHOUT STRAIN
    - CREATING A FAT-BURNING PHYSIOLOGY
    - EXERCISE AND AYURVEDA
    - DOSHA-SPECIFIC EXERCISES SUN SALUTE
    7 - OVERCOMING FOOD CRAVINGS AND BINGES
    -THE IMPORTANCE OF TASTE
    - THE KEYS TO SATISFACTION IN EATING
    - IDEAS FOR PUTTING THE TASTES TO USE
    BREATHING AWARENESS MEDITATION
    CONTROLLING EMOTIONALLY BASED EATING
    APPENDIX : - HOW THE BODY ACQUIRES, USES, AND STORES ENERGY
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've also been using Ayurvedia: A Life of Balance by Maya Tiwari. It's a great resource and very thorough in its examination of the philosophy. I like the Lad's book more for the recipes, but Tiwari's book includes more info on daily sadhanas and the ideal daily schedules.

She really focuses on the ritual of preparing food. It's given me pause and made me understand how critical choosing the correct foods are, and how preparing them properly makes a difference in how I enjoy the meal.
  • returntorural
    Options
    Just ordered the Chopra book! Thanks for recommending it!
  • DevoteeofIset
    DevoteeofIset Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    How is the Chopra book?

I am working with these books right now:

****The Ayurveda Encyclopedia: Natural Secrets to Healing, Prevention, & Longevity
    BY: Swami Sadashiva Tirtha

****The Guru in You by: Yogi Cameron Alborzian

****Yoga of Herbs by: Dr. Vasant Lad & Dr. David Frawley

****I just purchased Ayruveda: The Science of Healing by Dr. Vasant Lad.

I also am doing an Online Program -- http://www.stillheart.org/index.php/?page=87

Not a book, but I will let you know how I like them. I plan on studying this weekend.
  • returntorural
    Options
    The Chopra book is very basic but a good start for beginners.
    It contains a dosha quiz, some info on diet and supplements plus a small section on yoga poses.
    If you've already got any books by Dr. Lad, you probably don't need the Chopra book.
    Still, if you'd like to read it, you can probably find it at the library or you're welcome to borrow mine.
    I think I got it from a Goodwill on Amazon for about 12 cents. : )
  • FitChicFab2013
    Options
    Thanks for sharing those new titles Erica, I'll have to look into them.

I just bought "A Pukka Life" by Sebastian Pole.

I tend to buy Pukka teas too. Pukka in England is a colloqualism for "excellent" and in Hindi it means genuine, authentic and real...unfortunately, in Singhalese it means rear-end/ backside :)

The sections are as follows

Intro followed by

1 Constitution
    2 Nourishment
    3 Cleansing
    4 Rejuvenation
    5 Strength and Stillness
    6 Ecology
    7 Relationship

followed by: The Pukka Larder

Will let you know if it's any good :)
  • FitChicFab2013
    Options
    Oh, have also just ordered online: Anjum's Eat Right for Your Body Type: the super-healthy diet inspired by Ayurveda by Anjum Anand
  • returntorural
    Options
    oh, the Anjum Anand book looks fun and delicious! May have to give it a try. : ) Let us know what you think of it when you get it.
  • FitChicFab2013
    Options
    Okay, I've had a proper read through Anjum's book and it's really good - great recipes and an explanation of how to adapt them for your dosha and how they work to warm/cool the metabolism. Also there's diet plan for all doshas which links to various pages of recipes, so that you know which dishes are kapha inducing/calming.

I bought it second hand so it cost £4.80 and at that price I'm happy. Will be trying out the dishes from end of this week, when I've done my new grocery shop - so expect to see new foods in my diary :)
  • 38kali
    38kali Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    These are my favorites:
    - If the Buddha Came to Dinner by Hale Sofia Schatz
    - The 3-Season Diet: Eat the Way Nature Intended by John Douillard
    - The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies by Vasant Lad
    - Eat, Taste, Heal by Yarema, Rhoda, & Brannigan
  • returntorural
    Options
    I just picked up Eat, Taste, Heal from Amazon after seeing it recommended here and on the Ayurveda group on SP too.
    I've had a hard time adjusting recipes to be ayurvedic without being strictly Indian.
  • readbooks25
    Options
    So excited to find this group - I have been interested in finding good books to learn more about the process. I'm very new to it, and have only had a brief exposure through a trainer at my gym. She shared information about body types, and it has greatly helped in my goals. Looking forward to perusing the list and learning more. Thanks!
  • Kankalamalini
    Options
    Currently reading "Prakriti: Your Ayurvedic Constitution" by R. Svoboda.

Other book recommendations:
    - Ayurveda: Life, Health and Longevity by Robert E. Svoboda
    - Ayurveda: The Science of Self-Healing by Vasant Dattatray Lad
    - Tantric Yoga and the Wisdom Goddesses: Spiritual Secrets of Ayurveda by David Frawley
    - Ayurveda: A Life of Balance: The Complete Guide to Ayurvedic Nutrition and Body Types with Recipes by Maya Tiwari
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe in balance to promote wellness. Please recommen a first book for me.

Thanks

j
  • returntorural
    Options
    Deepak Chopra's Perfect Weight is a good book for beginners. He gives you an action plan right away and introduces the basics in a clear way.
  • dustycalluna
    dustycalluna Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Secrets of Ayurveda by Gopi Warrier is my favorite introduction book

Ayurveda: The Science of Self-Healing by Dr. Vasant Lad

Various Tibetan Medicine books I have read help deepen understanding of Ayurveda since they are nearly the same system

Not specifically about Ayurveda, but The Chemistry of Joy by Henry Emmons connects depression and food by using the general principles behind Ayurveda in order to heal through diet