Supplements

Options
JanetLynnJudy
JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
I thought it would be pretty interesting to see what supplements fellow low carbers are taking if any and maybe even open a discussion about certain ones. I take 6 daily. I listed them in order of importance to me. They are also pretty much in the order that I started taking them on a regular basis. I just added Green Tea (I've heard that it's best that it be roughly 50% EGCG, but I don't know how to tell that).

Multivitamin/Multimineral, Natural Potassium Gluconate, All Natural Fish Oil, Hair Skin & Nails Plus Biotin, Evening Primrose Oil, Green Tea Plus Hoodia

Replies

• Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    In no particular order, I take:
    Multi vitamin
    D/calcium/magnesium combo
    Alpha lipoic acid
    B complex
    C
    Rhodiola
    Theanine/ melatonin complex
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Daily:
    Iron (I'm extremely anemic and have to take at least 1200 mg daily or I tend to pass out)
    D3 - 5,000 IU
    Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc combo
    Multivitamin/multimineral
  • Golightly17
    Options
    Kyanca- out of curiosity how much potassium do you take and what effect do you get? I've noticed that my potassium in my diary is always low...
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Kyanca- out of curiosity how much potassium do you take and what effect do you get? I've noticed that my potassium in my diary is always low...

My Potassium Gluconate pill has 99 mg of Potassium (from 595 mg Potassium Gluconate) and my Multivitamin/Multimineral has 80 mg. Some would probably say that's not even worthwhile, but it's just to make sure that I at least have some in case I miss the mark with food. The reason that I don't take a higher dose is because it's one of those things that you don't want to have too much of either and I get a quite a bit from food. I am starting to monitor it in my food macros because I recently heard about how one of my old high school classmates died because of heart failure caused by low potassium levels (at the time this happened he was in his 20's). Even before hearing about that though I had read on one of the low carb forums on reddit about a guy on keto ending up in the hospital because of low potassium.

Some foods high in potassium that low carbers can eat on a regular basis (there are many more):

(by mg)
    Swiss chard - 961 per one cooked cup
    spinach - 839 per one cooked cup
    beet greens - 1,300+ per one cooked cup
    yogurt - 531 per 8-ounce container
    avocado - 975 per one whole
    tomato sauce - 800 per one cup
    halibut - 449 per three-ounce serving (salmon and clams are supposed to be good too)

source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/20/potassium-foods-banana_n_1898078.html

Also, here is another link that explains more about it including RDA which is 4700 mg a day for adults (that's the ideal amount, I've read elsewhere the minimum amount would be around 2000mg-3000mg) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002413.htm

I just checked out my 7 day summary and I'm still under even the minimum every day. I'm open to any more suggestions or inputs regarding this. If anyone is meeting the RDA or minimum every day I would like to hear their menu. I'm glad you asked this question actually because when I revisited this I noticed how much I'm missing the mark myself still (though one possibility is that in foods I don't enter myself that the people who do enter it could be ignoring that macro).
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    In no particular order: whey protein isolate, multivitamin, vitamin D, B complex, magnesium, selenium, sea kelp, tri-chromium.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    AM:
    Fiber Gummies
    Colace
    B-6

PM:
    Multi-Vitamin
    Dandelion (for water retention)
    Culturelle (probiotic)
    Zinc
    Calcium w/ Vitamin D
    Triple Omega
    Potassium
  • Golightly17
    Options
    Thank you for in info, Kyanca! I always associated low potassium with muscle cramps but I think I'll pay more attention to it now. I do a lot of cardio in conjunction with low carb so I guess it would be prudent to actively add more potassium. The protein shake I use is Vega One and its a good source and then I was surprised that coffee actually has a lot of potassium...
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I take the following:

2 x Calcium Magnesium Zinc (333/167Mg) Tablets
    1 x 1000Mg Omega 3 Capsule
    1 x 1000UI Vitamin D Drop
    2 x Vitafusion Multivitamin Gummies

And yes, when working out I noticed that if I don't get enough potassium it makes a HUGE difference. I was getting awful stiff calf muscles and cramps at night for a couple weeks until I figured out what the problem was.
  • bethierose
    bethierose Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I take Multivitamins, B12, and Calcium/Magnesium/D3.. :)
  • wigglingalltheway
    Options
    This is interesting. I need to try and get on top of supplementation. Have just read the art and science of low carb performance which was a great read.

There was some interesting stuff in there regarding how the body gets rid of salt and other things much more easily than on a normal diet so supplementation is recommended.

Need to get stocking up on that omega 3, zinc, potassium etc.
  • NoirDancer
    Options
    In no particular order (I can't remember amounts)

Cinnamon
    Multivitamin
    Potassium
    Magnesium
    Selenium
    Omega Fish Oil
    Cranberry
    Pumpkin Seed Oil
    EstroSmart
  • wigglingalltheway
    Options
    I got hold of a pack of Wellman which seems to have every suppliment recommended in the art and science... Books.

Not sure if it's available internationally.

Just need to add that omega 3 now :o)
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Currently, I am taking a: 1-A-Day Multivitamin, Iron (because I am anemic), 81mg Apirin, Calcuim with Vitamin D, and Fish Oil with Vitamin D-3
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Multi-vitamin
    D3
    Udo's Oil
    Zyflamend