Looking for friends in all the right places

Options
phytogurl
phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
Hi all, I'm looking to for a few good friends. I'm a....

~43yr wife and mother of two kids
~Who would love to lose 30+ lbs for health and vanity reasons
~I exercise to keep up with my recreation activities, and feel my best when I'm fit
~I like to eat a lot of food, and wouldn't mind friends to look at my diary every so often, to help keep me accountable in a gentle way
~I don't like drama, cuz that's what my kids and work are for ;)
~I've been around for a bit of time and know a thing or two; so sometimes I'll speak up, but hopefully in a meaningful way
~Would like to have friends that have lost weight and kept it off, because that where my problems lie

Replies

• dunkrobertson
    dunkrobertson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am just getting back to MFP. I am a 41 yo mother of 3 boys. I am very active but I am having a hard time controlling my calorie intake. Love the food and wine!!! Lbs are creeping on in all the wrong places and I am back up to my heaviest post baby weight ahhhhh!! I need to hold myself accountable for what I am consuming, no more excuses. I am all for constructive criticism !!! I know what I need to do, just not doing it :)
  • phytogurl
    Options
    I can totally relate because i'm a eater and have always been. I could exercise all I want, but if I don't have a cap on my food intake...it doesn't help me fit into my jeans or deflate my spare tire! I've come to the realization that my body build will never be that, really lean body type i desire without great work and sacrifice on my part. I'm not willing to go to extremes cuz I know I can't maintain that discipline, and thats ok. What I'm trying to find is that balance of a healthy body that i can be happy with, while being able to eat the foods I enjoy.
  • Annmarie0426
    Options
    I just joined to day and I can relate!! I am 44 (just this past Friday!) and love food, wine, chocolate and everything in between. LOL...I am trying to get healthy and lose about 40 pounds. I have a herniated disk in my lower back and activity has been limited over the past year, but I'm feeling better now. I am a single mom of two teenage girls. So, I have PLENTY of drama already. ;) Just want some support from other people around my age on this journey.
  • jtcc91
    jtcc91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group today and am also looking for folks in their "Fab 40's" to stay motivated with. I have been on a MFP hiatus for a while (about a year!) and enough is enough... time to get back to business! Add me!
  • phytogurl
    Options
    I understand, as I took a "break" from working on my weight, and gained:( I don't want to buy any bigger clothes, so I'm on a mission! Sending you a request.
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would love to have another 40 and fabulous friend. :) I totally agree with the drama. I have been trying to cut it out of my life, but I can't lose my kids and they supply me with PLENTY of it. Haha.

In 2008, I was very unhealthy, partly due to never having been taught good nutrition and fitness, partly due to emotional eating and huge stresses in my life, a bit of bad genes, etc. I started losing weight, and soon thereafter I herniated some discs in my back (unrelated, was having back problems). So, my weight loss has been slow due to periods of time I was unable to function well, but to date I have lost 111 lbs and have never had a back that was so strong. I have been maintaining this weight for awhile (except for a recent 20 lb gain during a layoff, new job and a tough grad class), which is hard in itself, but I am tired of the big plateau. I am loving MFP and motivated to get to goal weight. Right now I am also doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, so the inches are coming off faster than the pounds, but it's going in the right direction.

I keep my diary open to my friends because it really helps to keep me accountable when I sneak into the Late Night Snacking zone. As I'm about to pop some ice cream or peanut butter (or ice cream with peanut butter!) in my mouth, I think, do I really want MFP friends to see that I ate healthy all day and then hung out with Ben & Jerry's at bedtime? Lol. If I need to eat, I eat, and keep it honest, even if it goes over my calories goal. I've done enough closet/car/bedroom eating in my day, thinking no one would know if they didn't see me eat, so we're not going back to that! I eat where my kids and husband can see me. The only way I do well in this lifestyle is when I keep myself accountable!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    just tagging for now. will chk back later :)
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    KimberlyAndrews1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hoping to find other like minded 40 somethings in the same boat and those that are successful. just turned 48 a few days ago, and I'm hoping to one day be 40, Fit and Fabulous! Hard to imagine it right now though. I have a hard time with food because I LOVE to eat! I hate chicken breast and fish, absolutely can't stand them. Plus hubby won't eat healthy so that makes it harder for me too. I'm trying to eat with using healthy portion sizes and replace one meal (usually breakfast or lunch) with the Beginners Green Smoothie. I'm walking 5 days a week, two short days of 3/4 of a mile average pace with the dog, then 3 long days of around 2 miles at a fast pace. I was in a Couch to 5K program last fall and made it half way through before getting an ankle stress fracture. I guess my little legs and ankles couldn't take all the pounding. Most of my weight is in my upper body and around my middle. I hoping to ease back into running. Every since I turned 40 I've steadily gained weight. I lost about 20 pounds back in 2008, but have since gained it all back and more. I'm just trying to ease back into it because often times I get overwhelmed and quit.
  • phytogurl
    Options
    Frizbeemom, can I just say that I"m really impressed that you've lost 111lbs and maintained your weight loss despite all the life changing hurdles that you've encountered. I'm sure it wasn't easy on you especially since you had a back injury and you had to really watch your calorie intake, all the while keeping sane with the foods you enjoy. Kudos, for sure!:happy:

I too am looking for that balanced approach, but without going way overboard, like I tend to do. I"m only human and those types of foods are tasty, and there constantly around. I try to keep telling myself that I can't eat like that all the time, without paying the price of added pounds, higher cholesterol, clothes that don't fit, yada, yada, yada....Sometimes, I'm really focused with my eating for periods of times, but there are more than enough times, where the immediate gratification of eating that ice cream is stronger!

I'd like to embrace the reality, that losing weight and maintaining is a lifelong journey, and it never ends. It doesn't end after I reach my weight loss goal, it keeps on going. If I can only get that through my head, I wouldn't have to do a retake on "losing the weight", again and again. That's what I like to figure out.
  • phytogurl
    Options
    Kimberly, I can relate with being an eater! I've always been a big eater, while all my friends over the years, ate tinier portions. I just don't feel satiated on smaller amounts. Right now I'm trying to focus on eating foods with higher fiber content so I feel full...we'll see how that works out.

I took a long break from exercising over the last year, lost my motivation among other things,and got way out of shape with a 20lb weight gain. Now I'm trying to get back in shape, and to be honest, it's not all that fun at times and can be down right uncomfortable to say the least. I started with walking the dogs for a mile or so, and added a little more distance when that got easier. Then began jogging on flats, and walking the hills. I'm at a point now where I"m just walking the steeper hills and running the rest...baby steps forward. Getting in bike riding shape on the otherhand, is a whole lot slower for me! I've always known that it's easier to stay in shape, rather than having to start over, but I guess i need to relearn that lesson...ugh!
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Frizbeemom, can I just say that I"m really impressed that you've lost 111lbs and maintained your weight loss despite all the life changing hurdles that you've encountered. I'm sure it wasn't easy on you especially since you had a back injury and you had to really watch your calorie intake, all the while keeping sane with the foods you enjoy. Kudos, for sure!:happy:

I too am looking for that balanced approach, but without going way overboard, like I tend to do. I"m only human and those types of foods are tasty, and there constantly around. I try to keep telling myself that I can't eat like that all the time, without paying the price of added pounds, higher cholesterol, clothes that don't fit, yada, yada, yada....Sometimes, I'm really focused with my eating for periods of times, but there are more than enough times, where the immediate gratification of eating that ice cream is stronger!

I'd like to embrace the reality, that losing weight and maintaining is a lifelong journey, and it never ends. It doesn't end after I reach my weight loss goal, it keeps on going. If I can only get that through my head, I wouldn't have to do a retake on "losing the weight", again and again. That's what I like to figure out.

Thank you! It's been a huge accomplishment for me, as it wasn't just physical but a lot of mental crap to go through to and has only made me a much stronger person.

I'm an all or nothing girl. At least I tend to be without focusing on it. One year I found myself not giving in to ANY treats until a week before Christmas and then all bets were off and I ate like there was no tomorrow and gained nine pounds in two weeks before I reeled myself in!! Crazy. So I really try to work on finding the balance. It is a lifelong journey. There will always be birthdays and holidays and celebrations and I've just got to find a moderate way to enjoy them a bit and get right back on track! We can help each other :)
  • karen91967
    karen91967 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like!!
  • phytogurl
    Options

Thank you! It's been a huge accomplishment for me, as it wasn't just physical but a lot of mental crap to go through to and has only made me a much stronger person.

I'm an all or nothing girl. At least I tend to be without focusing on it. One year I found myself not giving in to ANY treats until a week before Christmas and then all bets were off and I ate like there was no tomorrow and gained nine pounds in two weeks before I reeled myself in!! Crazy. So I really try to work on finding the balance. It is a lifelong journey. There will always be birthdays and holidays and celebrations and I've just got to find a moderate way to enjoy them a bit and get right back on track! We can help each other :)

Yup, I agree. I think we all have it in us to find that balanced approach and do it in a good and satisfying way. Thx for being my friend!
  • phytogurl
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like!!

I read your bio, and I'm touched by your story...sending you a request:)
  • mark_in_mo
    mark_in_mo Posts: 19
    Options
    You can add me if you'd like.
    :)

Mark
  • Amyzeppy
    Amyzeppy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am also 43 and looking to lose around 15 - 20 pounds! The last 2 years I ran 3 - 4 miles 4 - 5 days a week, this year I run only 2 days and do a cardio kick class 2 days plus walk on other days and am up like 8 pounds from last summer! I've been watching what I eat the last few weeks and am stuck at a certain weight. I will lose 1 - 2 pounds during the week but gain it back on the weekend so I need to eat/excercise better on the weekends which I am working on!! I have 2 boys, 12 and 13 who are very active in sports so we are running them around every night to games/practices so we are eating on the fly, usually pizza or other junk but if we go out I try to get salad with chicken.

I do feel like my clothes are not soooo tight like they were a month ago so that is motivating me to keep going. I felt great last summer and want to feel that way again this summer so I am working on it day by day! That's all you can do and eventually it will work!! Friend me if you would like!! We are all in this together!! :smile:
  • phytogurl
    Options
    Hello! I am also 43 and looking to lose around 15 - 20 pounds! The last 2 years I ran 3 - 4 miles 4 - 5 days a week, this year I run only 2 days and do a cardio kick class 2 days plus walk on other days and am up like 8 pounds from last summer! I've been watching what I eat the last few weeks and am stuck at a certain weight. I will lose 1 - 2 pounds during the week but gain it back on the weekend so I need to eat/excercise better on the weekends which I am working on!! I have 2 boys, 12 and 13 who are very active in sports so we are running them around every night to games/practices so we are eating on the fly, usually pizza or other junk but if we go out I try to get salad with chicken.

I do feel like my clothes are not soooo tight like they were a month ago so that is motivating me to keep going. I felt great last summer and want to feel that way again this summer so I am working on it day by day! That's all you can do and eventually it will work!! Friend me if you would like!! We are all in this together!! :smile:

Just seeing this...

I can totally relate running the kids around, eating whatever you can because you're hungry. I did that a lot when my daughter was in 3 sports her first year of high school and also playing club soccer while my son was involved with his sports....oh vey!

I've been making it a point lately to let my kids know that my workout time is a priority for me and my well being. If they want a happier mom, than they'll respect my time and work on compromising on their wants. It's a work in progress and they're certainly adapting:). I sent you a friend request!
  • rsgavin
    rsgavin Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    43 y/o married with 2 boys. I too love food and have been able to manage my weight over the years by being very active. However since the kids came along (no, I'm not using them as an excuse for my lack of attention and motivation, just relating the story) I've gone from competitor to spectator and coupled with a desk job the lbs have been piling up. The time has come to make some serious lifestyle changes, starting with paying much more attention to what foods I eat and working up to a revamped, healthy lifestyle based on eating well and exercising regularly.

I'm just starting my journey and I hope that I'll be able to find a few like minded folks to take it with me.
  • phytogurl
    Options
    43 y/o married with 2 boys. I too love food and have been able to manage my weight over the years by being very active. However since the kids came along (no, I'm not using them as an excuse for my lack of attention and motivation, just relating the story) I've gone from competitor to spectator and coupled with a desk job the lbs have been piling up. The time has come to make some serious lifestyle changes, starting with paying much more attention to what foods I eat and working up to a revamped, healthy lifestyle based on eating well and exercising regularly.

I'm just starting my journey and I hope that I'll be able to find a few like minded folks to take it with me.

Congrats on taking-on your fitness journey...that's the first step which a lot of folks have a hard time doing. I think that lifestyle changes are a much more wholesome approach to weight loss and I believe it is a more sustainable way of life than hardcore dieting, especially for folks in their 40's. I am finding that if I do the exercises that I enjoy, and eat the foods that I like to eat; it is much easier to make these lifestyle changes, habits. I'm not gonna lie, I would love to lose the extra weight yesterday, but I know from the past, weight loss is not linear, and it does take time. I just have to work on my patience now!

I too have a full time sedentary job and I sit on my backside all day. With all the amounts of foods I ate, it really packed on the pounds before I decided to engage here on mfp. I'd be happy to have another friend to help keep each other accountable, on this journey :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    anyone can add me, I am on every day,, married, 4, mom of 2,, very active.cardio gal.