Tired of Being Single.

Options
My name is Tim and I am absolutely tired of being single. I don't mean to rant or whine.. I just am tired of it. I have been single for the last 5 years. Since I was 21.... so wait, that was 6 years ago. Lovely.

I have always just felt that I carried little worth compared to everyone else. I have poor self esteem and self image. I have been overweight my entire life, caused by genetics, poor eating habits, and lack of activity. I suffer from several phobias which make going outside very difficult. It is nearly impossible for me to meet new people. Unless it were online. It doesn't help that I am perhaps the biggest nerd around. I read comics everyday.. I still collect action figures. I would rather daydream about fantasy stories, than go to a club.

Sigh.

That is partly why I ventured to this website. I think if I were in better shape I would like myself better. Which would cause me to have better self esteem. From there it would be a snowball effect that would cause me to overall feel more comfortable in public around other people. Perhaps it let me have the courage to even TALK to a girl...

Then it becomes the hard road of finding a girl I am compatible with, which may be difficult. Not many nerdy girls 'round these parts.

Anyways... I am done crying about my stuff...

I wonder how many other people think they need to lose weight so they can become attractive and get a date?

Replies

• grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't really say that I have a problem getting a date (whether it be from online or offline dating). However online dating really opened my eyes a bit. The type of girl I would most like to see myself with, was not the type of girl that was checking out my profile. I would send messages and never even get a view. I am by no means going after the model type, as I prefer my partner to have some nice curves and be willing to eat pizza or a cheeseburger.

So I thought about it. If I were them, would I want to date me? NO. If I were them, I would be settling A LOT. So if I want to attract and get the attention of the type of girl I want, then I need to put in the effort to even the playing ground.

I feel that once I get down to even half of my goal, my self confidence will improve even more (as it already has), and I will have more (or technically less) to offer the type of girl that I want to be with.
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Plenty of nerd girls around imho. Even in my 3rd world country when I get dragged to a club to embrace my crippling social anxiety and attempt to drown it in alcohol I seem to always meet and chat with nerd girls while never with male ones.

Might be fault of the clubs i'm going to, that seem to favour long haired heavy metal dudes that defenitely do not get my starwars/firefly/drwho/blade runner/batman/spaced/insert major nerdism inducing thing/ reference.

Tired as heck of being single, but what I can date is boring and interesting dudes sit at home I guess =(

/rant end.

I think I lost my weight for health and self love, since I was firmly in relationships when i weighted 120kg and when 65,

I find it hella funny I am single now , when I look my best in decade (last relationship broke due to forced long distance and lack of communication, my weight had no impact in possitive or negative sense),

It's like the Fate is telling me "now you look good enough so you can get more *kitten* than toilet seat , but I will send you your way only boring dudes that you cant bond with intelectually, cos I know you got the silly "need to have atleast a crush to bed" notion.

ENJOY THE DRY SPELL, muhahaha etc.

Ok, the rant wasnt ended.

Start from lovin yahself and take care of yourself because your body is wonderfull machine that needs to be respected and cherished, not to get em *****es. Thats bad prioritising and no matter how good you will look, if you hate yourself inside most females will detect it and stear clear. What you will get will be chicks that will attempt to smother you.

Grossly generalising now, I am.

Love yourself, rest follows :)
  • moonlitdreams2
    Options
    I know that I'll attract more attention, but that's not why I'm losing weight. I just want to be able to look at a picture of me and not be repulsed.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Wait did somone actually say, "Enjoy the DRY SPELL??"
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    online dating is a soul-crusher. Hate it. I do it, but I hate it.
  • Joethebull
    Options
    I am kind of tired of being single. Especially when today marks 31 years of being single. Granted never have been in a relationship so I could be tired and hating being single because I just don't know any better.
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Wait did somone actually say, "Enjoy the DRY SPELL??"

Yes, as part of inner dialogue , sarcasticaly.

If I ever manage to enjoy that part of being single it means I reached Zen and can go down, from the mountains and teach peasants.

Aproximately - never.
  • BigBrewski
    Options
    Sorry what did you say after "go down"?
  • jamielr84
    jamielr84 Posts: 545
    Options

I agree! I have banned all online dating sites from now on! It was terrible.....
  • BigBrewski
    Options

I agree! I have banned all online dating sites from now on! It was terrible.....

Saddly I have been on match.com for about 3 weeks now and I signed up for a 3 month trial. I know that just like weight loss this is a slow process and it takes time but I will be cancelling my account. I am taking the advice of a few friends here and I am just going to start doing more social activities via "meetup" along with joining a racquetball league and bowling league in the summer. This will pull me out of my comfort zone as well as introduce me to "new" people. The online dating just isn't for me.
  • Shananigans_
    Shananigans_ Posts: 785 Member
    Options

Yes, yes it is. I can attest to this having experienced 13 god awful dates in two months.
  • brittanykira
    brittanykira Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My friends are constantly telling me that "I am young", "Got lots of time to find someone", "Be patient!" and it angers me. I am 23 and never been in a relationship. Do I mind that? Not all the time. I have days where I am completely happy and content with where my life is. But I also have days where I wish I had someone to come home to, someone to wake me up with that "Good morning beautiful" text, and someone to hold hands with. I am myself convinced that I will be single for life, this way if I am single for life, I knew it haha and if someone special comes my way, then I will consider myself extremely blessed! I have tried the online thing but I just don't meet anyone I click with. I find people online are hard to have conversations with at times. Bottom line: what happens, happens. I have to accept whatever life grants me.
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    good things come from good thoughts, remain positive :)

One thing I live by, is, why play it safe, take a risk, get out there and show the world who you are.

I can relate to the post, I became reclusive for many years and hadn't been intimate with anyone for the majority of those, as soon as I started losing my weight and feeling better about myself, it must have become obvious to the opposite sex because I was finding myself been approached (something I never ever had in my life) the most important thing is, to love yourself, if someone cant love themselves, how can they expect others to? be the best you and reap the rest, good luck :)

ps. I don't think its about losing weight, I think its about gaining confidence within yourself, also, if you find some hot nerdy girls, let me know, I dig nerdy girls!! lol
  • kf4vkp
    kf4vkp Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    <--- nerdy Girl. Though define your nerd type. Because I'm a Star Trek nerd, and a science nerd, and a trivia nerd. Not so much a gamer nerd (though Mario has my heart) or a comic book nerd.

I'm getting healthy for my own health. I used to be able to run an 8 minute mile, and I want that back. My relationship with someone who wasn't as active and giving up active time to spend time with them made me more sedentary than I realized. That combined with the fact that because I was under fed when I got married his family would feed me when they saw me and I gained over a hundred pounds. Time to get healthy again.

That said. I have been attracted to a wide range of guys. The thing they most have in common is an ability to make me laugh. Sometimes I approach them, sometimes they approach me. But that trait has to be there.

If you're doing the online dating thing. I recommend full sentences, more than one sentence at a time responses and messages. Ask questions. Treat it like a real conversation you would have with some one.
  • crissy_percival
    crissy_percival Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    i am a nerdy girl as well.
  • ValorRises
    Options
    Well. I'm a nerdy guy. I think being in better shape would help finding a partner, though I agree that confidence is an integral part of it. I have had decent success asking girls out even when not in shape, but I think it helps open doors. We want to have attractive partners, its biological programming.
    And yeah, nerdy girls are tough to find.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    That is because nerdy girls are usually shy too. :)

Yes, being overweight makes me less confident, but I'm basically an introvert and shy. I was that way before the weight, and I'm sure I'll also be a shy introvert afterwards. I'm just hoping for more confidence and maybe a little less shy.