Newbie to MFP Sorta new to Paleo Hiii!

Options
I have a couple of questions,

1. Add me so I can make friends please lol!
2. I know a lot of Paleo/Primal awesome people do Crossfit, and I hear A LOT about it. Opionions?? Besides costing a crap ton of money I am afraid I am way tooo fat to do it. Any one can relate to being over weight, like 60lbs overweight and try it? I work out, but I never feel I am in "shape" I can only run 5 minutes before feeling like I am going to vomit!!!!

Thank you =)

Replies

• sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is awesome and so worth the money! The people at my box are all at different fitness levels and are all different sizes for that matter. If you find a good box, the trainers will scale every workout so that you can finish it. Give it a try!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hello new friend.
    As you quickly found out - the message boards in MFP are crap. EXCEPT THIS ONE.
    The others are filled with jealous types stuck in their ways and believe they are the only right ones. I almost quit MFP completly until I found this group. Now it is the only reason I log in (I don't track a thing).

Yes I did crossfit after doing paleo for about 9 months. Don't worry about being "too fat" or out of shape for crossfit. Depending on the coaches (interview them), they will modify and work to make a better you.
    Crossfit is expensive, but it almost is as good as personal training. Generally small groups with a good instructor to member ratio.
    I was paying $60 a session for training because I wanted someone to really push me. Crossfit does that indeed.

Again, do interview any studios and know there might be a price difference, but the experience of the trainers and their style is critical. Ask if they have an intro class, or on-ramp, or will let you try it for X weeks etc. Their personality is critical to your success.

In my "box" we have a one legged man, a dwarf, a women that recently lost 100 lbs through doing crossfit and a man that lost 120 (and is still about 300).
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have the same fear about cross fit and I can't even run 5 minutes. I'm nursing a badly sprained ankle but in a few weeks when I hopefully get the thumbs up from the doctor I want to check out cross fit even though I'm really scared. Welcome Ashley, I've gotten a lot of good advice here.
  • jenfitz
    jenfitz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just started and I'm still alive! I have about 60 lbs to loose and have been pretty inactive for the last few years. I found a Crossfit gym (box) that has a mandatory on-ramp period - just me and a coach for 6 sessions in which I am learning correct form and technique and getting used to crossfit work-outs. The first one just about killed me- I was a living puddle of sweat and blubber lying on the ground panting and wondering what the hell I'd gotten myself into.
    Now, just three sessions in, I'm hooked. Every cross fit workout is scaleable for your level and you are competing against no one but yourself. My gym has a great team- player attitude and is very uplifting.
    Most gyms will let you take a class for free- try it!
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'd spend the money on a regular gym membership. Or even better, invest it in your own weights. Crossfit is largely a gimmick.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I strength and condition train (basically crossfit without the fancy branding). I'd make sure you go to someone with the the correct qualifications ie in the uk it's UKSCA. The US has it's own. But couldn't recommend more, feel fantastic and there's nothing quite like popping a big weight about your head!