Work from home??

Options
lovelyrose11
lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
For all of you out there that work from home or know of those that do:

I am trying to find some way to earn extra income for my family. Right now we can't afford to put them in daycare so inding something where I can work from home would be great. However, I am always afraid to apply for these opportunities because I fear they are a scam. Do any of you know of legit companies that do this type of work? I am always looking for evening or weekend work but so far no luck.

Replies

• Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I work outside the home on the graveyard shift so we don't have to pay daycare..... keep in mind most of my kids are in school though.
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about working the night shift (which I may have to do) but I have a 4 month old and a 21 month old and my hubby works regular business hours. I am not sure when I would get a chance to sleep.
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Cleaning a business or a church. It's not a glamorous job by any stretch, but for only a couple hours a week it can really add up. I clean a church with my mom one night a week, takes on average 2 hrs and brings in an extra $3600 a year for our fam.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I don't have any good suggestions (I was a WAHM for the first 18 months of my son's life, but my husband and I are also self-employed, so what I did was basically clerical/administrative stuff whenever I could fit it in), except that my sister would send me info whenever someone was looking for in-home daycare, that maybe I could watch someone else's kid along with mine. I didn't like the idea for several reasons, but if you are just watching, say, one additional kid, you probably wouldn't have to go through all the stuff for daycare licensing.

I know, not the best suggestion, but it could pay pretty decently, even just for one child, if you were up for it.

Best wishes! I know from firsthand experience how hard it is to be a SAHM. I worked full-time up until my son was born and planned to go back, but my job would have barely paid for daycare, and I didn't even like my job. Thus I decided not to go back. Now my son goes to preschool while I work full-time with my husband, but when this new one is born (within the next month), I will be home for a bit and then probably coming into the office as often as possible with baby in tow so that we can keep paying for our son's preschool! (He gets so much out of it that I didn't want to take it away from him.) Not sure what we'll do when the baby stops sleeping a lot and needs regular interaction :ohwell:
  • snowshoermom
    snowshoermom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i work from home as a travel agent.. not sure if you can apply and get a job with no experience though. also i know medical transcriptionist can work from home. i think the course if under 6 months...

have you also considered a janitoral job cleaning schools part time evenings?

good luck
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Waitressing part-time could be a good solution as well. you could work a couple of dinner shifts during the week and a couple of weekend shifts around your husband's schedule....it brings in quick cash.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'd look into retail if you want evening/weekends. Bonus if you can find a job at a store that offers a great discount on things you need (lie kid's clothes)!

I wasn't originally planning to go back to my real estate office job after my 1 year mat leave, but as long as I'm employed there I get mega discount if/when we decide to sell our house. It's incentive enough for me to go back for even just one or two shifts a week!
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't get a lot of sleep during the summer.
    Waitressing was great when the oldest three were little. Plus it was greae exercise.