cooking challenge for week 2 - breakfast :-)

Options
marcelka77
marcelka77 Posts: 476 Member
I will need picture and ingredients of 1 of your breakfast .

10 reasons breakfast is a must
Is it an old wives tale, or is breakfast really the most important meal of the day? Perhaps your mother always made you eat hot lumpy porridge in the morning, so as soon as you escaped her clutches, you developed the coffee and cigarette habit in college, and ever since then breakfast was a bagel... at lunchtime.

But it’s actually true, breakfast can make or break a diet, because breakfast helps set the tone for the rest of the day. If you’re one of those people who think skipping breakfast is a good way to lose weight... think again. Here are the top reasons why you should definitely eat breakfast, every day:

1. Break the fast. Ever think of what "breakfast" means? Your body responds to not eating for hours and hours by slowing down it's metabolic rate. By eating breakfast, you wake up your metabolism and get your engine humming, burning those calories you need to burn to lose weight.

2. Eat more, weigh less. Researchers have repeatedly shown that people who eat breakfast have a better chance of losing weight, and keeping it off. When you skip meals, you’re so hungry by lunchtime you'd eat an entire cow! Research carried out at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh has shown that eating breakfast cereal in the morning helps aid weight loss.

3. Are you interested in doing better at work and school? Don’t be a bed head... breakfast helps wake you up. Studies show that people who eat breakfast are more alert and do better on tests than people who skip breakfast. Conversely, a hungry child can be apathetic, disinterested, and irritable when confronted with difficult tasks. Breakfast is the key." No doubt adults need breakfast as much as kids do.

4. Breakfast is your chance to eat the foods you may not eat the rest of the day. You can have whole-grain cereal and berries with non-fat milk - here is your fibre, folic acid and calcium in one easy-to-grab bowl. Low-carbers need to go very easy on grains, so opt for the highest-fibre brand you can find. However, why not indulge instead in the typical eggs and lean bacon breakfast most other eating plans frown upon?

5. Skipping breakfast makes you grouchy. Studies show that people who eat breakfast tend to be in better moods (when I’m hungry - watch out!). Breakfast gets you started on the right track for the day. If you start out with a healthy breakfast, then you set the mood for lunch. You're more likely to choose something reasonable for lunch if you’ve paid some attention to your breakfast choices.

6. Cancel the Danish or sugared doughnut first thing in the morning - they cause a blood sugar dip a couple of hours later. You’ll be desperate for something to perk you up, and are more likely to grab another high-sugar refined carb, for a quick sugar rush.

7. Breakfast makes your machine run better. Get yourself on a schedule with a healthy breakfast, and you’re ready to take on the world.

8. If you’re a parent, set a good example. By skipping breakfast, your kids will think it’s not important. Breakfast doesn' have to be a big affair, but don’t wimp out... make it a habit, and your kids will be way ahead of the game too.

9. Don’t eat dessert for breakfast. If you think a cereal bar with 30 grams of sugar is a breakfast item, then think again. Some cereal bars contain nearly as much sugar and fat as a regular chocolate bar.

10. One more word about labels... if it says, "Nutritious," it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s healthy. Cereal manufacturers are experts in marketing, using words that send a message of health, but unless you read the labels, eat at your own risk. Kids’ cereals often have more sugar than sweets. Protect your kids from getting hooked on these cereals... they’ll get used to all the sugar, and will want only pre-sweetened cereals.

Whatever your diet you follow... breakfast is one meal you don’t want to miss.

Replies

• MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast every morning. I eat this a lot cause it has loads of protein!

334sr3r.jpg

Pineapple Breakfast Cookie

Oatmeal - Old Fashion, 1/2 cup
    Dole Crushed Pineapple 100% Pineapple Juice, 20oz Can - Crushed Pineapple, 1/2 cup
    Egg White, Fresh, Raw, Large, 2 egg white (33g)
    Healthy Fit 100% Egg Protein - Vanilla Ice Cream Protein Powder, 1 scoop
    Aldi Friendly Farms - Lowfat Cottage Cheese Small Curd (1% Milkfat), 1/4 cup (113g)

Totals:

Calories 392

Carbs 88

Fiber 14

Sugar 19

Protein 53

Fat 9
  • UglyPlantBasedKitchen
    Options
    Strawberry pancake

1/4c oatmeal (blend in blender to make finer)
    1/2c egg creations ( I like to use maple french toast flavor)
    1 sweetener packet
    dash of Cinnamon

Mix ingredients together fry in pan that has bee coated with non stick cooking spray. Cover pancake with strawberries and drizzle no sugar added syrup. I like to use frozen strawberries that have been defrosted in the microwave because the juices act as a syrup.

262 calories
    2g fat
    50g carbs
    13g proteins

I eat this almost every morning. I love pancakes :) I do eat breakfast every day and find it very important.

34ijyhh.jpg
  • karategirl2013
    Options
    Ilana - Purple Team

Here is my Egg, Avocado,Tomato and Dijon Mustard breakfast wrap . I love having this wrap because it has flavour, zip and it gives me energy. I'm a breakfast eater and I usually eat a wrap like this or have oatmeal (or another cereal) for breakfast. I always add protein to my breakfast as well so that it keeps me feeling full longer. I use brown rice tortillas for my wraps since I have a wheat sensitivity (note: they don't wrap as well but not being bloated after I eat a wrap is a nice thing :smile: )

i3ulqb.jpg

Ingredients:
    1 tortilla
    1 tsp old fashioned dijon mustard (optional)
    2 tomato slices chopped
    30g avocado (amount of avocado can be adjusted)
    1 scrambled egg

Warm up the tortilla (optional). Layer onto the tortilla the remaining ingredients. Fold the wrap. Eat and enjoy!

Nutritional info (based on the products I use): 265 cal, 30g carbs, 13g fat, 8g protein, 6g fiber, 311mg sodium

For a quick scrambled egg (since my mornings are busy) I usually scramble my egg in a bowl and microwave it for 40 sec.
  • healthy4meN2013
    healthy4meN2013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast everyday. I have 2 children at home so I have to try to set good examples for them. (Which is one of the biggest reasons I am losing weight)

My Favorite Omelet
    1 Whole Large Egg
    2 Servings All Whites (Egg Whites)
    2 c. Spinach
    2 Tb Onion Diced
    2 Tb Yellow/Red Peppers Diced
    2 Slices Tomatoes Diced
    1/2 Teasp Raw Minced Garlic
    1 Slice Low Sodium Oscar Mayer Sea Salt Turkey Bacon cut up
    2 Slices Slice Low Sodium Oscar Mayer Sea Salt Turkey Bacon (for on the side)
    2/3 serving of Shredded Cheddar
    Black Pepper to taste

Mix Egg and Egg Whites. Cook one side. Steam Spinach, Onion, Peppers, Garlic, Tomatoes, and Cut up Bacon. Flip Cooking Egg Mix--- add all steamed and Cheese put lid on pan to help cook. When done flop into Omelet! Serve with 2 Slices Turkey Bacon on side.

52kp03.jpg

I also drink 2 cups of decaf green tea w/ lemon and a bottle of water with breakfast.

30a75t4.jpg

Calories: 326
    Fat: 19
    Carbs: 10
    Sodium: 763
    Protein: 28
  • DeniseMarSi
    DeniseMarSi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Morrocan style eggs and veggies:

Ingredients:
    Liquid egg whites : 6 tbsp
    Kale: chopped 1/4 cup at most
    Red peppers, yellow peppers, orange peppers: 1/2 cup mixed
    Eggplant chopped 1/4 cup at most
    Turmeric spice 1/2 tbsp
    Cottage cheese 1/2 cup
    Hummus plain 1tbsp
    Flax seed 1 teaspoon
    Joseph's flax seed and oat pita

First I mixed the eggs turmeric and flax seed in microwaveable bowl and pre cooked for about a minute. Then in frying pan boiled water and added veggies. Then I combined eggs with veggies and let veggies and eggs cook together.
    Last, just put cottage cheese and hummus in middle to dip and use pita as wanted.

I never really made this before, but I like all the ingredients. Overall, it was good.Something was a little bitter. Not sure if I used too much Kale, turmeric or it may have been the eggplant I didn't cook long enough. Maybe next time I would pre boil the eggplant, use a little less turmeric.

Nutrition values:

274 calories
    25 carbs
    8 fat
    29 protein
    2 sugar
    9 fiber

Vitamin A 92 percent
    Vitamin c. 24 %
    Calcium 12%
    Iron. 15%
    Potassium. 412
    Sodium. 837

o0684.jpg[img][/img]
  • DeniseMarSi
    DeniseMarSi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    o0684.jpg
    Morrocan style eggs and veggies:

Ingredients:
    Liquid egg whites : 6 tbsp
    Kale: chopped 1/4 cup at most
    Red peppers, yellow peppers, orange peppers: 1/2 cup mixed
    Eggplant chopped 1/4 cup at most
    Turmeric spice 1/2 tbsp
    Cottage cheese 1/2 cup
    Hummus plain 1tbsp
    Flax seed 1 teaspoon
    Joseph's flax seed and oat pita

First I mixed the eggs turmeric and flax seed in microwaveable bowl and pre cooked for about a minute. Then in frying pan boiled water and added veggies. Then I combined eggs with veggies and let veggies and eggs cook together.
    Last, just put cottage cheese and hummus in middle to dip and use pita as wanted.

I never really made this before, but I like all the ingredients. Overall, it was good.Something was a little bitter. Not sure if I used too much Kale, turmeric or it may have been the eggplant I didn't cook long enough. Maybe next time I would pre boil the eggplant, use a little less turmeric.

Nutrition values:

274 calories
    25 carbs
    8 fat
    29 protein
    2 sugar
    9 fiber

Vitamin A 92 percent
    Vitamin c. 24 %
    Calcium 12%
    Iron. 15%
    Potassium. 412
    Sodium. 837

o0684.jpg[img][/img]
  • karategirl2013
    Options
    So many yummy breakfasts. I think I might change mine up and try some of yours. Thanks for sharing.
  • ReDeCook
    ReDeCook Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Renee - Yellow Team

5/1/2013 - Healthy Breakfast
    Plain eggs over easy with toast, I added low sodium light popcorn flavoring for character and extra taste. I also use low sodium, low fat butter for the toast.

312e13s.jpg
  • drizzy_obsessed04
    drizzy_obsessed04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Rachel- Orange Team

WARNING: I AM NOT A COOK!! (i accidentally forgot about these and burnt them, but they still tasted good!)

100% Natural Banana Pancakes- gluten free, flourless, low calorie

Ingredients:
    1 banana
    2 eggs

peel banana and chop it up. crack 2 whole eggs and mash it up. its okay if there are a couple banana chunks, but for most part make sure its all blended. use an pam spray or extra virgin olive oil and pour the mix.

250 calories
    14g protein

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r694/beautybreakdwn4/13423_155187357989153_471411517_n_zpsb8b7c9e1.jpg
  • Jennifer8348683
    Jennifer8348683 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    km24h.jpg

One slice Country Harvest Quinoa and Flax Bread
    1 cup strawberry halves
    Astro Smooth and Fruity Yogurt

Easy and yummy!
  • pab88
    pab88 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    348kcvn.jpg

Breakfast sandwich made with English muffin, poached egg and grated cheddar cheese.

Servings: 1 Sandwich
    Calories 310 Sodium 331 mg
    Total Fat 20 g Potassium 220 mg
    Saturated 6 g Total Carbs 31 g
    Polyunsaturated 2 g Dietary Fiber 8 g
    Monounsaturated 8 g Sugars 4 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 17 g
    Cholesterol 200 mg
    Vitamin A 10% Calcium 32%
    Vitamin C 4% Iron 16%
  • still_a_caterpillar
    Options
    HOMEMADE WHEAT BREAD!!! (NOTE - all measurements are in US and the brand of wheat flour I used was King Arthur 100% Whole Wheat)

Ingredients

3 c. white wheat flour OR all-purpose flour
    4 c. whole wheat flour
    3 tsp. salt
    1/3 c. honey
    2 1/4 tsp. yeast
    2 3/4 c. warm water (about 100-105*F)
    1/4 c. olive oil
    --

Instructions

1. Begin by mixing the warm water and yeast together in a large bowl. Allow these ingredients to sit together for 2-3 minutes.
    2. Then, gently stir in the honey, salt and olive oil.
    3. Next, slowly add both types of flour while you stir. Mix until all the flour is incorporated and the dough begins to come off of the side of the bowl.
    4. On a lightly floured surface, knead for 5 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. You may need incorporate a little more flour to prevent the dough from being sticky.
    5. Place dough in your large bowl. Grease plastic wrap (I use cooking spray and spread it on the plastic with a paper towel. Cover dough with the plastic wrap, and allow the bread to rise for about 70 minutes or until doubled. (I fill up the bathroom sink with warm water and then sit the bowl in the warm water - my house is not very well insulated and it doesn't rise properly pretty much anywhere else)
    --
    Punch the dough down and then shape in to loaves.
    --
    Place the loaves in lightly greased 9x5" loaf pans, and cover each with a greased piece of plastic wrap.
    --
    Allow them to rise again for 30 minutes - 1 hour. (This rise has taken me about 50 minutes).
    --
    Then, uncover and bake at 375*F for 30-35 minutes until crust is lightly browned and bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped.
    --
    Bread keeps best in an airtight bag in the fridge. You can easily freeze the second loaf by wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap and putting it in an airtight freezer-safe ziploc bag.

Picture to follow - pretty much everything good about the internet (except MFP and reddit) are blocket at my office - so PLEASE watch for picture! :)
  • navywifeandmomof4
    navywifeandmomof4 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    grilled cheese french toast

egg
    bread
    cheese

dip bread in egg
    put in in frying pan add cheese.dip 2nd bread and add it to the first bread with cheese.flip it and cook the other side.

33ud7p1.jpg
  • 2muchchocncrisps
    2muchchocncrisps Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Weekend mushrooms and egg on toast. 336 calories but very filling!

2e4hvt2.jpg

1qk8w3.jpg
  • 2muchchocncrisps
    2muchchocncrisps Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Weekend mushrooms and egg on toast. 336 calories but very filling!

Don't know why only half of the pic is posting so ingredients As follows

2 slices Wholemeal bread. 220 cals
    Olive light spread 10g. 35
    Mushrooms 100g. 15
    Medium egg. 66

Total cals 366
  • marcelka77
    marcelka77 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower Brain Recipe:

this is czech recipe ;)

You will need a 1/4 cauliflower, 0,5 onion, 2 eggs, salt, water, olive oil

Heat olive oil in a big pod and add chopped onions. Stir the onions until they start to change color.

Chop the cauliflower in pieces and mix it with the onions in the pot. Add about glass of water and cover the pot with a lid. Cook the cauliflower until it’s soft. Oh, and don’t forget salt ;)

It will take about 20 to 25 minutes to cook the cauliflower. When the cauliflower is soft, take a fork and make a mush of it. Crack eggs and mix them in. Keep stirring and cook the mixture for another 3 to 4 minutes on a medium heat.

2u6l3ia.jpg
  • pjgreen0830
    pjgreen0830 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My favorite is scrambled egg whites with pico on top. I have that 5 days a week, at least. I can't post a picture of it but it is pretty looking. On the weekends, I make omlets for hubby and me using a little 2% cheese and veggies. I'm on the black team.
  • Ljsiegel
    Ljsiegel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Kale Quiche Cups

4 eggs
    1.5 cups egg whites
    1 cup nonfat milk
    4 slices canadian bacon
    2-3 cups kale chopped
    1 bell pepper
    1 onion
    4-5 cloves garlic
    oil spray
    1/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth
    salt/pepper to taste

Chop up separately the onions, garlic, canadian bacon, pepper, kale

In a frying pan, spray with oil spray. Add onions, garlic, bacon. When onions are soft, add in bell pepper, kale and broth. Cover with a lid and let kale steam cook. Stir occasionally. May need to lower heat or add more broth.

Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, egg whites, milk. Add in cooked veggies and mix. Pour about 1/2 cup mixture into each muffin tin. Should fill to top of each tin.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. They will poof up a bit but then settle back down.

Makes 12 "quiche cups". Nutrition information for 1 quiche.
    Calories = 70
    Carbs = 5
    Fat = 2
    Protein = 7

You can doctor it up by adding cheese, more veggies (zucchini is good), etc... They keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. I like to grab one or two for breakfast and eat them cold.

54c9lg.jpg
  • K0RA
    K0RA Posts: 29
    Options
    2je8wmq.jpg
    Sorry. I nearly forgot to post this morning's breakfast. I'm really not a breakfast person, so this challenge proved to be the toughest of all this week!:smile:
  • Maalea
    Maalea Posts: 16,220 Member
    Options
    I ususally have a sandwich for breakfast - quick to make and due to the whole rye bread filling till noon. Today I added some stawberries and joghurt.

XQHpQRT.jpg

1 slice (about 50 g) whole rye bread
    cream cheese (about 10 g)
    ham (1 slice)
    tomato
    150 g strawberries
    100 g joghurt (1% fat)
    150 ml milk

320 kcal, 43 g carbs, 6 g fat, 19 g protein