Very very thirsty on induction

Options
painthoss
painthoss Posts: 63 Member
Hi all,
This is my third time on induction. Each time I have experienced extreme thirst that does not diminish. I drink glass after glass of water, both day and night, and of course pee vastly. I am not exaggerating about the quantity of water, every night I drink 4 to 5 12 oz glasses of water. The thirst wakes me up and my mouth is parched.

Aside from that, I feel great. Atkins flu for me is very minimal and brief, and the energy, appetite control, freedom from cravings, irritability, and mid-afternoon brain fog are wonderful.

I've always slipped off the low-carb wagon before so I don't know the answer to this: does the thirst go away? It's uncomfortable and inconvenient to have to find a place to pee when you're out and about.

Thanks in advance for your help. I've read other threads on this group and you all are a very helpful bunch.

Val

Replies

• CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear the high-carb detox is going well! As for the thirst, I haven't experienced extreme thirst, but notice that once I start drinking a lot (~ 80oz), I would crave more. Maybe someone with a similar experience can chime in. I truly hope that it gets better.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Did you previously drink a lot of sugary liquids? It could be your body trying to trick you into consuming sugar.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have also experienced this during induction, and I've done induction a few times as well. I tried finding an answer in the past, just doing some internet research, but I never found a very specific answer. I think that part of the reason is because glycogen is stored in the muscle with water. When you use up all that glycogen and go into ketosis, you are no longer storing all that water that goes along with the glycogen (that is losing water weight) and the excessive thirst is stay hydrated. I don't know if that is the complete reason, though. I also suspect the unquenchable thirst comes from the body desperately trying to rid its self of all the excess ketones that are released during the first few days of ketosis. I have read that it takes a while for your body to figure out how to regulate the amount of ketones released, and the excess one that aren't burned up through daily activity and exercise are expelled in our sweat and urine, mainly. Once your body figures out just how much you need and stops making too many, you are "keto adapted". That would go along with what I have experienced as far as the thirst getting better after a week or so. I'm no expert, that is just what I have pieced together.
  • painthoss
    painthoss Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    CoCoMa, thanks for the reply and good wishes. :-)

LauraDotts, nope, not a drinker of sweetened tea or soda at all. Not before and not after. I do thank you for the suggestion, though.

Codapea, thanks for the thoughts on processing ketones. It's cheering to hear that your thirst did go away after awhile. Guess I just have to wait it out and see how it goes!

thanks again.