Anyone done WA state portions of PCT

Options
dazdarren
dazdarren Posts: 24 Member
Hi. I'm relatively new to WA state and haven't been out backpacking in the state yet. I know the PCT runs through the state and while I'm not up for thru hiking it I wonder if there is a good section to hike for 2-3 days. Anyone with thoughts?

Replies

• HikerLiz
    HikerLiz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've done Chinook Pass to White Pass, and a couple of years later, Steven's Pass to Snoqualmie Pass. The Chinook/White trip was 3 days, I think, and it poured the entire trip. The second trip was 72 miles, and I think my husband and I did it in 8 days. I had four friends who did it in 72 hours ("72 in 72") last summer. They made it within their time limit, but they were pretty beat up by the trail by the time they came out.
    We've done shorter bits as well, usually as part of other hikes. We did rename it "The Pacific Crest and Valley Trail", because it seemed to take every opportunity to gain/lose elevation.
    Not sure if that helps - but enjoy hiking the PCT!
  • dazdarren
    Options
    Thanks for the input Liz. Much appreciated. I'm on the East side of WA where it tends to be very dry during the summer. i imagine the rain factor is much higher along the routes you mention. I will need to keep that in mind.

Great profile pics...looks like you've had some good travels and hikes
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The Goat Rocks Wilderness Area in Gifford Pinchot National Forest has some awesome sections of the PCT. I've been up on the Walupt Lake Loop & came down on the PCT

And up in the area of Snow grass flats. We jumped on the PCT for while. I've been wanting to pack through the entire state of WA. on the PCT. Wish I had the time.
  • dazdarren
    Options
    Thanks Hikergirl for the advice. I will have to look into those suggestions further. I hear you on the wishing I had more time issue. I wish I had more time to get out backpacking and enjoying everything there is to offer in WA.