Gained 10 pounds in 1 week?!?!?!

Options
tangiesharp
tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
Hi. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism in late February. I started 75mg of Levothyronie 3 weeks ago. Today, I got on the scale and noticed that I gained 10 pounds in one week. Yikes! I know I'm at the beginning of my treatment and that it may take a while to get my TSH levels steady, but 10 pounds in one week after starting treatment?!?!? I'm not scheduled to go back to my doctor until mid-June. I'm afraid if I go back now, she will probably say that I need to wait a little longer to see if my levels have moved.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any advice?

Thanks for listening.

Replies

• maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    I would call your doctor. That's a pretty dramatic change in a short time, and she should probably be aware of it. Especially since you're just starting out on the medication.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    thyroid disease needs close follow up at first. Do not be fearful of returning to your doctor. Yes, if you have a question then call her/him. When I was having my thyroid adjusted after surgery my doc was seeing me every 4 weeks and checking my blood levels. Thyroids are tricky, don't worry, this could take a year to get it right and sometimes longer. Be patient. It's not you, it's your thyroid that is behaving badly. Please never feel guilty about what your body/thyroid is doing.
  • patty43ck
    patty43ck Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you have been onit for 3 weeks now, you definitely need to call your doctor. Do you feel any other symptoms that have changed since starting the medication? Hair loss, exhaustion, sluggish memory? You may need to up your dose or make sure you are taking the name brand synthroid instead of the generic levothyroxine. It can work for some people but I have heard more often times than not that it does not work as well. You would have to ask for it specifically at the pharmacy and it costs a little more but it makes a huge difference for me.
  • tangiesharp
    Options
    You guys are great! Thanks for the suggestions. My symptoms have not changed. I'm still exhausted, cold, and just icky in general. I will call my doctor to figure this out.
  • LizGozza
    LizGozza Posts: 45
    Options
    I gained 5 pounds the first week, nothing this week thankfully (only the second) but I'm contacting my Endo on Saturday and letting him know and seeing if my dosage will be increased. My followup isn't scheduled for another 6weeks!
    don't be afraid to honestly approach your Endo and let them know what's going on.
  • tangiesharp
    Options
    I gained 5 pounds the first week, nothing this week thankfully (only the second) but I'm contacting my Endo on Saturday and letting him know and seeing if my dosage will be increased. My followup isn't scheduled for another 6weeks!
    don't be afraid to honestly approach your Endo and let them know what's going on.

Thanks Liz. You're right. I hope your Dr. can help you too.