WFPB - Protein Info from Dr. Campbell's Course

Options
kmcosgrove115
kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
Hi all -

72MonteCarla and I connected really early on with MFP - she is such a go getter with WFPB that I have come to really see her as a great support and friend.

Anyway, you might not know but she signed up to take Dr. Campbell's course in Plant Based Nutrition from eCornell. I swear if I had the time and money, I'd do this as well as we have been tossing around the idea of forming an in person group here in PA in my area and bring in Dr's, fitness people, etc.

Anyway, Carla sent me some info on Carbs, Fats and Protein so I could adjust in MFP - the 80/10/10 split. But then she further wrote me about what she learned as she is now in the class reg protein - I found it so interesting to hear more about Dr. Campbell's research I kept asking her for more info to print and bring home - it reaffirms why we eat this way and how it really is the best way to stay healthy.

As I saw her updates on her status today, I thought we should really put her info that she is taking in from the course on the forum here - if I found it intriguing and helpful, you all might too.

So her is a copy of her email to me reg protein and how too much actually leads to chronic disease - when you look at the country and health, this just makes so much sense.

Here it is and thanks Carla! Keep the info you learn coming!

"I have a TON of information on this, but the general gist is this: Protein causes gain/growth. Our bodies use it to grow muscle tissue. However, too much protein causes what T. Colin Cambell calls "the protein effect": Excessive protein causes cancer cell growth (you know this from FOK and the rat/livercancer/casein study). Further studies on the protein effect show that the elevated cancer growth is a good indicator for all kinds of chronic diseases because too much protein negatively impacts the autoimmune function, leading to all kinds of illnesses (including the increased propensity for cancer, diabetes etc...). Numerous studies have determined the daily EAR (Estimated Average Requirement) for protein is between 0.5 - 0.6 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. The RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) was determined by adding two standard deviations to the EAR to arrive at 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. This number essentially computes to 8-10% of total calories coming from protein. This has been the RDA since the 1940s. However, most people take this number to be a MINIMUM. It is not. 8-10% protein is the range at which we should be consuming, no more, no less. The good news is that this is exactly the range that a balanced WFPB diet provides. Of course this is no coincidence. It just proves that our bodies are designed to function optimally on WFPB."

Hope this helps you all and I hope Carla sees we want more info like this! Thanks again Carla!

Kristen

Replies

• kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
  • Sara13CH
    Sara13CH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    so out of our diet we only should be consuming 8-10% protein?
  • SkinneyGirl28
    SkinneyGirl28 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have been told Americans consume way too much protein. Instead of the 90 grams my last program said I needed, I believe I only need 35 grams a day. I learned this from several sources many years ago!

NeelieDeer
  • daniellebfit
    daniellebfit Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So if I do the math correctly --- A Kilo is about 2 pounds so we need about .3 per pound. I'm just under 300# so that makes it 90 grams??
  • jeannie0312
    jeannie0312 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Excellent!! I'm going to check out this link for sure !!
  • jansiemoo
    jansiemoo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I've been eyeballing the course for a while now and this makes me even more excited.
    As for the protein requirements, it is a super hard thing for people to believe. All of the doctors espousing a WFPB way of eating agree and have the studies to back it up: Campbell, Essylstin, McDougall, Fuhrman, etc.
    Excess protein is ridiculously bad for our bodies, but it's been pounded into our heads for so long...