What is metabolism reset?

Options
Robind55
Robind55 Posts: 18 Member
I don't know what this is and I can't seem to find a description of it or a thread about it. Any help is appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options
    I don't know what this is and I can't seem to find a description of it or a thread about it. Any help is appreciated. :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

Start here.
  • Robind55
    Options
    Thanks for the link! I now understand what it is, but the next question is: what is the process of starting it? I looked but I can't seem to find anything except general information.
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options
    What is your BMR and TDEE? Have you read enough to calculate those? What is your current calorie intake? How long have you been eating at that level? Do you record your exercise calories burned?

People who eat a very low calorie diet and have done that for awhile have more than likely suppressed their metabolism which makes it difficult to lose weight. Resetting your metabolism means eating at your TDEE maintenance level for 8-12 weeks to "reset" your metabolism. Once it has been repaired then you can begin eating at a deficit to your TDEE.
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I saw a great video on the EM2WL website that explains the reset.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COzMKkXeiFo&list=PL09917F53B3B517FF&index=4
  • Robind55
    Options
    Well, when I went on the scooby site (not sure if that's the right name or not) it said that my bmr is 2137 and my TDEE is 2565. Now, I have a sendentary job at the moment and I'm not doing a lot of exercise, which I'm working on changing. So I'm confused on how many calories I should be eating and how much exercise to do and- oh it's so confusing! I want to burn fat and gain muscle, so the scale isn't necessarily the thing I'm going by. I know that muscle weighs more than fat so I won't panic (too much) if the scale doesn't reflect huge weight losses. I want to lose fat and become stronger and look and feel better. I don't want much, do I? LOL. Seriously, feeling better and being healthier is my goal.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    How much to eat? Right now, if doing this reset, is eating the same that you burn daily, which is TDEE.

As to how much exercise to do? Whatever you can realistically do and enjoy so you keep doing it.
    That obviously changes how much you burn daily then, so your TDEE goes up on average.

You won't gain muscle without doing strength training, anything else will just use your existing muscle to the full, perhaps, and that will help too.

Also, you'd be hard pressed to add muscle that fast, 1 lb per 2 months if eating at maintenance and lifting heavy.
    But, you can increase other non-fat stuff in your body when you exercise, mainly with extra water retained. And that means higher metabolism.
    So indeed, as you start exercising, you'll see inches drop much more than weight.

So any extreme is not going to be useful.
    No exercise means small deficit so you don't lose muscle mass.
    Frequent intense cardio exercise is going no risk muscle mass even with a reasonable deficit.
    Strength training with too much deficit will have you plateau in performance quickly and those improvements.

So if you can find a way to enjoy, lift 3 x weekly 60 min each, and walk fast on non-lifting days 60 min 3 x weekly. 1 rest day.
    This routine won't have you increasing TDEE very much as it really doesn't burn a lot, but it makes great body improvement, so you won't have to figure out how to eat a whole lot more.
    That would be Lightly Active level in the TDEE levels.