Waiting for results

Options
Hi there, I started using a CPAP 5 months ago and I struggle with it every night still, and have gained rather than lost weight so I am a bit discouraged at this point. I will be following up with my doctor soon to dig in to some of the reasons why. Is it normal to not see results in this amount of time or is there something wrong with me? Thanks, Cindy

Replies

• Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    There are tons of different masks, because everybody is different in their face shape and sleeping position, whether they open their mouth or keep it closed, whether their jaw drops back or not, whether they roll on to their side and dislodge it, and so on.

Ignoring the weight issue, are you still falling asleep at random times of day? Do you feel like you have got enough sleep when you wake up in the morning?

Is your mouth really dry? Can your partner or family say whether you are still snoring/having apnoeic episodes at night?

Then there's day to day stuff - is your room dusty? Is the filter clean or clogged up with dust bunnies? Have you any sinus problems? Are they improved by using a saline rinse?

There are just so many different variables that have to be sorted out. If you're lucky, it happens quickly, if not, it takes time to get the right mask and make the necessary adjustments to your life.
  • JuliesJourney
    JuliesJourney Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm just 5 days in. I have an appointment to go over complete test results with doctor on the 21st. I'm hoping that they will want to read my data card at that time as well so I will know how I am doing and what I need to try to work on. Last night was really not a good night. Hoping tonight will be better.
  • JuliesJourney
    JuliesJourney Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I saw may doctor on Wednesday. It went well, he upped my pressure to 10, told me that I am down to 9 events an hour and that due to my teeny tiny mouth, throat and nasal passages that I am probably a lifer for the machine no matter how much I lose. Kind of a bummer but if I feel better I will be grateful.
  • cmhoward645
    cmhoward645 Posts: 301
    Options
    I struggled to get to sleep or stay asleep on my machine when I first used it. But have now gotten to the point that I don't even want to lay down or take a nap when not on the machine.

If your struggle with your machine talk to your doctor. There are numerous mask options, and even some pressure options that are available to help with complaince issues.
  • candypa
    candypa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I struggled to get to sleep or stay asleep on my machine when I first used it. But have now gotten to the point that I don't even want to lay down or take a nap when not on the machine.

If your struggle with your machine talk to your doctor. There are numerous mask options, and even some pressure options that are available to help with complaince issues.
    I've already exhaused mask options due to car accidents and pressure on back of neck.
    I've used the machine for over a year and still struggle to get to sleep.
    I took a break from the cpap machine and had bad morning headaches. Hypothyroid NO SLEEP
    Sat in a recliner (could fall asleep without cpap), put on cpap mask and just lay there can't go to sleep.
    Can't go back to dr. she'll just up the pressure and the mask already lifts offf of my face creating leaks. To stop the leaks I put a headband around the mask and headgear. Occasionally, I'll still have leaks. I'm so frustrated. Is anyone else having problems?
  • candypa
    candypa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have TMJ too. Sometimes the pressure from the mask on the face and teeth create pain.
  • aluvsj
    aluvsj Posts: 27
    Options

Ive already exhaused mask options due to car accidents and pressure on back of neck.
    I've used the machine for over a year and still struggle to get to sleep.
    I took a break from the cpap machine and had bad morning headaches. Hypothyroid NO SLEEP
    Sat in a recliner (could fall asleep without cpap), put on cpap mask and just lay there can't go to sleep.
    Can't go back to dr. she'll just up the pressure and the mask already lifts offf of my face creating leaks. To stop the leaks I put a headband around the mask and headgear. Occasionally, I'll still have leaks. I'm so frustrated. Is anyone else having problems?

My dentist is the one that told me he was 100% sure that I had sleep apnea. He then referred me to a local pulmonary doctor. Anyway, I have seen him since and he was explaining to me that there are dental appliances that also help with sleep apnea in place of a machine. I don't have problems with my machine so much but I am interested in the dental appliances. They don't bill your dental insurance for those either, they are filed under health insurance, although I am not sure how much is really covered. Maybe you should try that route. Good luck.
  • ThereRnoGoodbyes
    Options
    My sleep apnea story:
    I've been on a CPAP for over 2 years but my health has not improved. It makes my sinus issues worse and I wake up most nights when the pressure is too high (it's at 13 right now). There seems to be only one company available to provide the supplies and my health insurance covers about half of the cost. Ridiculous. So I'd reaaaaally like to lose the fat in my neck and all over and get off of that machine. A physician's assistant - never seen the doc listed on the form - takes care of everybody in the program at the local hospital and pushes medication which I won't take like sleeping pills and antidepressants. I sleep fine, but still feel tired during the day. I've changed my diet so that I'm eating cleaner, but I have less energy to get up and move for some reason. Looking for like minded people on here for motivation.

I sure would like to travel again and without lugging this machine around.
  • donkrutsinger
    donkrutsinger Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been nominated to the Peace Corps, have sent off my finger prints for the background check and am waiting for a conditional medical release from PC Medical for a placement that has dependable electricity since I have Sleep Apnea and use a C Pap machine. I have been continuing to seek to loose weight to resolve the issue and expect I would loose some weight serving in the Peace Corps. I am getting a dental appliance that should help and if they have difficulty placing me I may go ahead and have the UPPP surgery to help resolve the issue. I hope to receive a Placement Recruiter when I pass the Background Check but they project it could be any time between October and next spring before I would go out. I expect that I could end up in Asia or Africa. I was curious what you diet and living conditions were like in other countries and whether loosing weight will help. I ave lived with a C PAP machine since 1998 and could live with it indefinitely but it would be nice to not be dependent on electricity for a good night's sleep.