Surgery Veterans: a question

Options
I had the lapband in December 2011 and I am within 20 pounds of my goal. For those who have reached their goal (congrats!) I'm wondering how many have had some or all of the fluid removed from their band. On one hand, I'm a little afraid of regaining weight if I remove my restriction entirely. On the other hand, I have completely changed my diet and fitness habits and have been living my new lifestlye happily for well over a year now, so part of me is confident that I can maintain. In addition, I've started having more issues recently with food getting stuck and/or vomiting after just 2 or 3 small bites. I know don't want to stay at my current level of restriction forever, but I'm curious what others have done.

Replies

• NikkiCola07
    Options
    I've only had to have fluid taken out once, a few months after my surgery. We believe some food got caught and I was having a hard time breathing. However, I felt like the fills after that made all the difference. Seeing as how you are close to your goal and the problems you've described, perhaps getting .5 cc removed might be best. Maybe a little less restriction is what you need especially if your not getting enough nutrients. Hope this was helpful. :smile:
  • jjtyrrell31
    Options
    I've only had to have fluid taken out once, a few months after my surgery. We believe some food got caught and I was having a hard time breathing. However, I felt like the fills after that made all the difference. Seeing as how you are close to your goal and the problems you've described, perhaps getting .5 cc removed might be best. Maybe a little less restriction is what you need especially if your not getting enough nutrients. Hope this was helpful. :smile:

Thanks, that is helpful! Congrats on your success! I'm hoping to hear from others who are also at/near their goal. Do you stay at your current level of restriction? Remove it all? Remove some?
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i would love to offer support, but not my surgery, so basically this a polite BUMP
  • NikkiCola07
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply...I'm staying at my current restriction. My last fill was about 2 months ago so I'm still adjusting to it, haha.
  • jjtyrrell31
    jjtyrrell31 Posts: 17
    Options
    No worries. My issues eating have expanded to issues even drinking water for the last 36 hours, so I made an appointment to see my sugeon tomorrow morning. I'm going to ask if he recommends removing some or all of the fluid in my band. I hope it's just irritated and not something worse.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I hope he gives you some relief. My mom has a lap band and has the same issues. But she's old and stubborn and will not go see her surgeon. Just stay on top of things if you do get fluid removed. Always stay diligent so you will not gain any weight back.
  • jjtyrrell31
    jjtyrrell31 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for the support! I saw my surgeon yesterday and he removed all the fluid, so I'm back at zero restriction. The good news is I felt better almost instantly. He still wants to do a barium swallow / x-ray this weekend just to make sure there is nothing serious going on. My goal will be to lose these last few pounds and maintain without the additional assistance from the band. Wish me luck!
  • NikkiCola07
    Options
    Good Luck! Glad to hear your feeling better!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    If you start throwing up or having obstruction with your band go to your doctor immediately. This is what happens and then people have esphogeal dialation and other serious complications.

Also, if you want a good book on the lap band and maintaining it try "Bandwagon". It's good, but it made me realize lap band was not for me.
  • jonti06
    jonti06 Posts: 15
    Options
    Just wanted to say "thank you" for the book reference; just read the preview via Amazon & will be ordering it, today!