Newbie - Time to start lifting?

TrracyGirl
TrracyGirl Posts: 32 Member
I've looked through group discussions but haven't seen something that would relate to my question.

Is it time for me to step it up? To start to work weight training into my regime? (I can't seem to find the questionair)

I've lost weight over the last year and a half. I'm at 188 as of this morning. I've always been on the muscular side. Took conditioning in high school, played sports. yada yada yada fast forward to today. I'm not afraid of lifting. I've become a bit addicted to overall health. But I'm not sure where to start? I will use some of the circuit 'machines' but sometimes those aren't available and I'd like something I can set up at home as well. My gym has the whole gamut of weights/machines/areas. I'm also dealing with knee and lower back issues. All of which, thankfully, have improved greatly with the weight loss. I would guess that on a day to lift, I'd have maybe 30 minutes?

To continue my question... is there a beginning regime? or... Should I just continue cardio and the HIIT classes I attend until I am at a lower weight?

I'd rather ask this group, SS, and Sara, than go online and google it. Thanks for the feedback!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Basically, it is never too early to start resistant training.

A couple of questions:

Does your gym have barbells and dumbbells?

You mention 30 minutes on a lifting day - is this due to a specific time constraint?

How many days can you get to the gym?
  • TrracyGirl
    Yes the gym has all of the free weights, bar and dumbbells.

The time constraints vary. I would say I'm IN the gym 3-4 nights a week. At those times it's to be in a group class. I will often hit the elliptical for 30 minutes after a class. At any given time I'm only allowed to have my kids in the gym's playroom for a two hour block. In the summer (when school is out) I will be able to stay at the gym a bit later.

Days I'm not in the gym, I'll use my lunch our to walk/jog a bridge that is near. That translates to usually a good 30 - 40 min cardio. I would like to start collecting/buying some sort of weights for home. I don't use the excuse of not getting to the gym as reason to not work out. If I need to, I'll lift water jugs. ;)

The HIIT classes I take often integrate free weights as well.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    tumblr_mi0x8voRha1r1wkeyo1_500.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf

OMG - that is freaking fantastic.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member

This is so totally awesome.
  • fishlover888
    fishlover888 Posts: 132
    OMG you just made my night!
  • QueenGyn
    QueenGyn Posts: 106
    BUMP

I want to lift too. :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    BUMP

I want to lift too. :flowerforyou:

Do you have access to a gym?
  • Sarauk2sf
    How many days do you, or can you get to the gym?

If you can go enough, dedicating more time to strength training on a few days would be beneficial. This may mean dropping a class or two.

Regarding a home workout, do you have, or can you get dumbbells?
  • TrracyGirl
    I could. I want to start 'collecting them'.. meaning, I have to start somewhere. I have some small weights I use now for strength portions of a work out (DVD etc). I have a regular resistance band and flat one as well. Two small 3lb dumbells. I've cinched together ankle and wrist weights to create two at 7 lbs.

I've been looking at the adjustable dumbbells. Their compact-ness would be a plus.
  • Sarauk2sf
    I think it would be beneficial for you to do a full body workout 2 x a week at the gym so you have access to barbells and then can 'supplement' those with a full body routine at home once a week.

Do you think you would be comfortable with barbells or would you prefer to start with dumbbells/machines get yourself more familiarized with weights/lifting routines?
  • klancyjv
    klancyjv Posts: 23 Member
    I am starting, too, so thought I would join the conversation. I have access to gym- usually aim for 3x per week and do 30-60 mins of cardio on 2-3 other days. I started weight lifting with the husband last week, but he is on split routine. I've heard it's better starting out to do full body routine (like you mentioned Sara). I found the same site TrracyGirl did (http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/12-week-beginners-training-routine.html) that seemed to be a good routine, although a little lacking. I wanted your opinion on whether this would be enough? As a beginner, I like having the crutch of a program to follow so I'm not just flitting around everywhere. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    I am starting, too, so thought I would join the conversation. I have access to gym- usually aim for 3x per week and do 30-60 mins of cardio on 2-3 other days. I started weight lifting with the husband last week, but he is on split routine. I've heard it's better starting out to do full body routine (like you mentioned Sara). I found the same site TrracyGirl did (http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/12-week-beginners-training-routine.html) that seemed to be a good routine, although a little lacking. I wanted your opinion on whether this would be enough? As a beginner, I like having the crutch of a program to follow so I'm not just flitting around everywhere. :)

As a brand new beginner, pretty much anything that is not totally idiotic will be beneficial. However, I do not like that routine for a number of reasons including:

- does not focus on the compounds
    - has a lot of unnecessary iso lifts (for the level you are at) - for example, do you really want to be working traps?
    - it turns into a split from week 7 which is very sub-optimal
    - rep ranges are a bit high
    - number of sets is too low (ok for first few weeks to ease into it)

I would do the first 6 weeks to 'get into' lifting (you will see a benefit) and then transition to something like AllPro which is a 3 x a week full body that focuses on compound lifts.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

A Simple beginner's Routine
    You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
    Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.

I am assuming here that you want to lose weight while maintaining LBM and gaining strength. If you have other goals, then let me know.
  • klancyjv
    Thank you so much!! I agree- as I began to do the program I posted up, I realized I didn't care for it too much. I didn't like the amount of reps or sets, so I've been doing a hybrid version of it with less reps and more sets.

The program you mentioned sounds great. I will get this started.
    One quick question: for the warm-up portion (one set with 1/4 weight, one set with 1/2 weight), do these two sets count towards the four sets I'm supposed to do? Or are the warm-ups separate and then do the four sets with full weight?

And yes, you are right about losing weight while maintaining LBM.

Thank you SO much!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Thank you so much!! I agree- as I began to do the program I posted up, I realized I didn't care for it too much. I didn't like the amount of reps or sets, so I've been doing a hybrid version of it with less reps and more sets.

The program you mentioned sounds great. I will get this started.
    One quick question: for the warm-up portion (one set with 1/4 weight, one set with 1/2 weight), do these two sets count towards the four sets I'm supposed to do? Or are the warm-ups separate and then do the four sets with full weight?

And yes, you are right about losing weight while maintaining LBM.

Thank you SO much!

Hi! Warm ups are separate from the working sets.
  • klancyjv
    Hi! Warm ups are separate from the working sets.
    [/quote]

Perfect, thank you!! :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Locking in order to keep track of active threads. Feel free to PM either myself or SideSteel, including a link to this thread, if you wish to add any comments or questions, and we will unlock so you can do so.
This discussion has been closed.