Leaning out....

Options
salgalbp
salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
Hi all, please forgive this very novice post in advance.

So...at the beginning of this year (Jan 23rd) I started eating approx. 2000 cals a day and I can not tell you how wonderful I feel!!! My energy is awesome, I sleep like a million bucks and my lifting days are WAY more productive and I have see results in these last 6 weeks like I haven't seen in 6 months of lifting 3x per week.

I'm thick though and I want to lean out and drop body fat %. Now I know there are a gazzilion ways to do this. I was looking for some links, your thoughts etc. Just some general direction.

I'm discovering my plan and what works for me so your help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Sal

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I have utilized a few articles from Bodybuilding.com that discuss "cutting." I'm doing a three-step transition though. I cut to above maintenance for several weeks, then cut to just below maintenance, and will eventually drop again. I've done a mini-cut before, and am doing it more thoroughly now.

Here's what I did. Google "bodybuilding.com" "cutting" and you'll see several decent articles. From my reading, you'll probably want to look at supplementation a bit more critically, as that becomes more important. Multivitamin, Fish Oil (unless you consume fish regularly) become pretty important, for example.

Good luck to you! And I hope a few others with more experience will jump into this thread and offer their $.02.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    bump
  • salgalbp
    Options
    Thanks much for the info.

I like to research something, truly understand it before I jump into it. That way when I'm in it although I'm learning it's not like I'm struggling and wondering what to do while I'm in it. I like to be prepared!

Jan. 23rd I bumped up to 2000 cals (From about 1300) that was a rather large bump I'm thinking in hindsight. The first two weeks I lost 7.4lbs, but I just weighed myself again and I've put them back on. HOWEVER!!!! My waist has not gotten larger, I'm not loose anywhere in fact it's opposite. My biceps are poppin' and my waist is trimmer.

My next phase will be cutting so I can see all my effort visually and cut body fat %. So I'll take a look.

Again, thanks!
    Sal
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Jan. 23rd I bumped up to 2000 cals (From about 1300) that was a rather large bump I'm thinking in hindsight.
    It sounds like you had a pretty successful bulk though. My bulk was a bit too aggressive as well. Heh!

It might be useful to take measurements when you start a bulk, and start a cut. That way you can compare how successful the bulk is (ideally, you'll net a positive muscle growth).

My bulk results (October - January):
    Weight: +15 lbs. (peak +19 lbs.); Chest: +2.25"; Waist: +2.0" (oof!); Hips" +1.5" ; Neck: +0.75"; Arm (Bicep/Tricep): +1.75" (Yes!); Hip: +1.5"; Calf: No change

So I'll do more measurements in the late summer, before I start a bulk (I'll probably do it in transitions, like the cut). And although, I expect some muscle loss, I'm hoping it will be a fraction of the gains above.
  • salgalbp
    Options
    I think so as well and I have measurements from this fall to compare to so I'll def. be checking them - the scale can no longer be any way to measure my success's or failures :)
  • 88Genesee
    88Genesee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would like to know how that works out for you 'salgalbp" I started a new program in December 2012 and lost about 15 pounds as of early March 2013.. The scale is not moving, yet my clothes are much looser, my abs are more defined and I can clearly see a good change happening overall. . . sleep much better. Next week will mark my fourth week on the workout routine I have right now, so I will check my measurements at that point. I do need to drop bf.
  • salgalbp
    Options
    I'll let you know how it turns out. I went to the Gopher State Classic Fitness and Bodybuilding Show last weekend and it's so inspiring to see these folks. I am working on a new plan, I'm bored of my old one and need to really crack down on my eating plan and get re-inspired at the gym. My workouts of sluggish and I need to pump them up as well as do my Cardio in the morning.

My Birthday is coming up and so I'm giving the gift of rededication to myself. :)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I basically just slowly reduce my cals instead of doing it all at once. At least spend 1-2 weeks tapering down so you aren't feeling starved at first.

If you were bulking at say 2200 calories, I'd drop back to 2000 for a week and see how it goes. Then maybe lower down to 1800.

I like taking my time and going by "feel". You can tell if you're making progress.
  • Dreamweaver_5107
    Dreamweaver_5107 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Small calorie deficit is the way to go for sure, get you macros set up for your body type. If you're an easy gainer I would suggest 45-50% of your diet should be protein. Eat clean lean meats, sweet potatoes, brown rice lots of vegtables some fruits are ok too. I am currently eating about 2500 cals a day and at around 5% body fat and still losing so very low cals are never necessary. I am an endo type so I do not have a really fast metabolism and I am pretty old so...

You can do anything you want keep reading, adjusting learning. You think you feel good now ... just wait. Something to look forward to.
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    CHECK OUT Dr. Layne Norton's You tube video on metabolic damage.......will help explain why perhaps you gained the weight back after upper your calories. LEARN about your metabolic capacity. I'm glad your saying that YOU want to figure it out. Yes a coach is a good help but NOBODY will know your body better then YOU!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY1DsZMNfNw

This guy knows what he is talking about. YES his information is geared towards the bodybuilding community but this information is very valuable to ANYONE who is trying to lose FAT!
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    Options
    DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELF!

I can't believe that nobody on here has mentioned about if you know your body composition?? DO you know your BMR? Macros? Carbs are not the enemy type stuff??? ANYBODY!!?!
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Small calorie deficit is the way to go for sure, get you macros set up for your body type. If you're an easy gainer I would suggest 45-50% of your diet should be protein. Eat clean lean meats, sweet potatoes, brown rice lots of vegtables some fruits are ok too. I am currently eating about 2500 cals a day and at around 5% body fat and still losing so very low cals are never necessary. I am an endo type so I do not have a really fast metabolism and I am pretty old so...

You can do anything you want keep reading, adjusting learning. You think you feel good now ... just wait. Something to look forward to.
    r u cutting for a show?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    CHECK OUT Dr. Layne Norton's You tube video on metabolic damage.......will help explain why perhaps you gained the weight back after upper your calories. LEARN about your metabolic capacity. I'm glad your saying that YOU want to figure it out. Yes a coach is a good help but NOBODY will know your body better then YOU!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY1DsZMNfNw

This guy knows what he is talking about. YES his information is geared towards the bodybuilding community but this information is very valuable to ANYONE who is trying to lose FAT!
    the metabolic damage he is talking about is based off of people lean for prolonged cutting.
    dont take it out of context because the average person will never reach this point.

This happens in lean individuals on prolonged dieting due to the fact that they have limited availability of fuel.

What layne is saying is true, but everyone is pretty much saying OMG METABOLIC DAMAGE WE CAN ALL GET IT!.

Metabolic damage is not as common as you think
  • salgalbp
    Options
    Thanks all! Very encouraging to hear from all of you and I'll check out the links suggested! You all are incredibly inspiring to me so thank you!
  • salgalbp
    Options
    DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELF!

I can't believe that nobody on here has mentioned about if you know your body composition?? DO you know your BMR? Macros? Carbs are not the enemy type stuff??? ANYBODY!!?!

Hi Gordon - my TDEE is approx. 1900, BMR approx. 1500 (I say approx. because I've had many different variations) - I'm sitting at approx. 27% BF - I've had tests say 20%-30%. I'd like to get a dexa scan in the near future so I can tighten these variations.

After many years of dieting I have finally wrapped my brain around the fact that carbs are not the enemy so yes I'm good there. I was doing 40/30/30 with the macros so I may change those up a bit as well.

Again - thank you all for not going ape *kitten* on the novice here :) Much appreciated! :)
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    Options
    LOL carbs not the enemy!! GOod :-)