Jogging strollers

Options
Hi All,
So as I approach week 7 of the c25k I realize I am getting closer and closer to my graduation. I am beyond thrilled that I AM a runner. I am not a quick runner, I am not a graceful runner, but I AM a runner. At 260lbs I am a runner and I cannot wait to be a runner at 250, 200 and some day 150lbs. However, in the meantime I want to share this joy of running with my family. My 10 yo is out of shape and talks about losing weight. I explained he does not need to lose weight at his age, however if we could slow down his weight gain and improve his physical fitness he would feel better. My 8yo is built more athletically but he could use some endurance (and humility). And then we come to my youngest. He is 11 months old and if I want to get the whole family out there, then he has to come along.

Are jogging strollers really worth it? Do they make that much of a difference over regular strollers? If yes, how do I go about choosing one? Any insight would be helpful.

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Congrats on c25k and on getting your kids involved! I have a jogging stroller, although I don't use it for jogging. (In my city, where parking is not enforced, you find yourself bumping on & off curbs to go around cars parked on sidewalks, etc--so I needed something "all terrain". I absolutely LOVE it for every use.). I have run with it when literally running late or crossing highways, etc or just to get my lil one to calm down and start giggling (little ones generally love to go fast in their strollers haha!).

When I have had to run with the stroller, it makes a HUGE difference. Simply, you just can't run with a regular stroller. Also, my jogging stroller has a front wheel that can swivel or lock. You MUST lock it for running or else the front goes a little airborne and the wheel starts spinning all around. Hard to explain, but trust me on this.

The one I got has an extra wide seat so it's comfy for bigger kids (3yo) without being too narrow for their shoulders (something to consider when looking for one). It's very old but great. It's a European brand though. I bet you could find a good used one on craigslist or wantads or something. Also, if you find one that doesn't have one of those wrist-leashes, you can get a dog leash and attach it...but just attach it to the BOTTOM of the stroller (the rail of the cargo area), not the handle bar, because if (heaven-forbid) you were to fall while pushing it, if the leash is attached to the handrail, it can tip the stroller over backwards. Mine doesn't have a hand brake and I've never needed one (I think that's more for people who run very fast).

One more thing about the stroller, is that it can change your running form. For me, it is an improvement. When I've had to run a bit with the stroller, I tend to lean into the handle and that helps my form alot since i have tendency towards shinsplints and need constant reminder to lean forward when running. But for someone else, I dont' know what it might do to your form. Just be aware.

Good luck!!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have two of them, one single and one double. My double stroller is a Mountain Buggy. Not sure about the brand of the single one. Both of them are loads better than my Graco stroller for running. Lighter, easier to push, etc. I got the single one from a friend and the double off of Craigslist. Running with your baby in the stroller makes for an awesome nap.
  • cdbarger
    cdbarger Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I bought a used jogging stroller through craigslist for $80 and it was completely worth it! It is so much smoother than my normal stroller, and made it easier for me to continue running even with two toddlers. I have had to replace the wheels, but it still hasn't cost me as much as a brand new one would have.

Mine is the Baby Trend Expedition double jogging stroller. The front wheel can be locked in place, which is a must when running, or unlocked for just walking when you have to manuever around things.

Do some looking around in stores to find one you like. Read reviews, get feedback from people who have them. Good luck!