OK, I'll start

Options
coltrane23
coltrane23 Posts: 30 Member
Yesterday was a little eye-opening for me on the IPMG board. Long story short, I lost a lot of weight going low carb, then I stalled at about 225 and settled in. During the latter stages of that weight loss, I discovered metcons and heavy lifting and Leangains, but I'm pretty sure I lost quite a bit of lean mass before that happened. I've got some strength now, but I still have a soft middle that frustrates me.

I've been carb cycling, following calculated Leangains macros, for almost the last year. I set an aggressive weight loss split for workout/rest days. It worked OK for about 6 months, I was starting to make progress on weight and on bf% right up until the holidays . . . and then I undid my 6 months of hard work. Since then, I've been following the same macros but without fasting, and I've been making painfully slow progress, much slower than last time. There are several reasons for the slow progress, I'm sure, but until yesterday it never occurred to me that I could be undereating.

Today I made some changes to my goal settings on MFP. I'm going to be less aggressive about my weight loss goal--after all, I'm not that far away from where I want to be anymore. I work out hard 3x a week lifting heavy weights (85%-95% 1RM), and I go for 30 minute walks at least a couple times a week as well, so I'm probably more active than I'd allowed and therefore need more calories than I'd determined. I'm aiming for +300 calories above my old goals on rest days (2500), and aiming for +400 above my old goals on workout days (3100), mostly from carbs. This will be quite an adjustment, I'm already trying to figure out how to add "clean" calories for today.

Replies

• Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This is going to be cool to watch how your experiment works! I recently failed my fitness test because my waist was half an inch larger than the 35.5 inch cutoff (medical issue). Since i failed i had to take the "Be Well" class. The dieititian was worthless, but I knew she would be, according to her calculations I only need about70 grams of protein a day....um, no! At any rate the exercise physiologist is very knowlegdable (I can't spell!) and said thatyour longer days should be at least 45 minutes for endurance and that it will help with overall performance and weight loss. I'm going to try it.

My plan for the exercise portion is two day high/meduim intensity, two days of endurance (which is NOT the same as chronic cardio) and two days of strength. The strength once a week may be together with high intensity cardio. I am hoping it will help me get the last bit of weight off and improve my overall fitness score.
  • coltrane23
    coltrane23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Strength training followed by a metcon definitely helps when trying to get leaner. That's one of my deviations from what was working and why I'm making slower progress, but right now I don't have the time to follow up my lifts with a metcon. We're moving to a new house in a couple weeks and the new yard has some good spots for hill sprints. So I imagine I'll lift at the gym, then run some sprints later in the evening after the boys are tucked in. Ultimately, I want to get into a groove where I'm lifting 3x a week, sprinting 2x a week (in the evenings or at lunch), and going for a 2-3 mile run once a week. I've been very good on the lifting, but the sprints and runs are hit or miss.

I'm curious . . . what are you doing for endurance?
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I had been mostly walking. I'm in the military and currently I can't run due to a knee injury, so my fitness test is walking. I believe in specitivity, so walking it is the test is one mile, but I generally walk about two per session. I also do the eilliptical and now that the pool is open consistently again I will get back to swimming. I find that swimming is the BEST for me for losing inches.