DAY 15

Options
19 John also publicly criticized Herod Antipas, the ruler of Galilee, for marrying Herodias, his brother’s wife, and for many other wrongs he had done. 20 So Herod put John in prison, adding this sin to his many others.

The Baptism of Jesus

21 One day when the crowds were being baptized, Jesus himself was baptized. As he was praying, the heavens opened, 22 and the Holy Spirit, in bodily form, descended on him like a dove. And a voice from heaven said, “You are my dearly loved Son, and you bring me great joy.”

The Ancestors of Jesus

23 Jesus was about thirty years old when he began his public ministry.

Jesus was known as the son of Joseph.
Joseph was the son of Heli.
24 Heli was the son of Matthat.
Matthat was the son of Levi.
Levi was the son of Melki.
Melki was the son of Jannai.
Jannai was the son of Joseph.
25 Joseph was the son of Mattathias.
Mattathias was the son of Amos.
Amos was the son of Nahum.
Nahum was the son of Esli.
Esli was the son of Naggai.
26 Naggai was the son of Maath.
Maath was the son of Mattathias.
Mattathias was the son of Semein.
Semein was the son of Josech.
Josech was the son of Joda.
27 Joda was the son of Joanan.
Joanan was the son of Rhesa.
Rhesa was the son of Zerubbabel.
Zerubbabel was the son of Shealtiel.
Shealtiel was the son of Neri.
28 Neri was the son of Melki.
Melki was the son of Addi.
Addi was the son of Cosam.
Cosam was the son of Elmadam.
Elmadam was the son of Er.
29 Er was the son of Joshua.
Joshua was the son of Eliezer.
Eliezer was the son of Jorim.
Jorim was the son of Matthat.
Matthat was the son of Levi.
30 Levi was the son of Simeon.
Simeon was the son of Judah.
Judah was the son of Joseph.
Joseph was the son of Jonam.
Jonam was the son of Eliakim.
31 Eliakim was the son of Melea.
Melea was the son of Menna.
Menna was the son of Mattatha.
Mattatha was the son of Nathan.
Nathan was the son of David.
32 David was the son of Jesse.
Jesse was the son of Obed.
Obed was the son of Boaz.
Boaz was the son of Salmon.
Salmon was the son of Nahshon.
33 Nahshon was the son of Amminadab.
Amminadab was the son of Admin.
Admin was the son of Arni.
Arni was the son of Hezron.
Hezron was the son of Perez.
Perez was the son of Judah.
34 Judah was the son of Jacob.
Jacob was the son of Isaac.
Isaac was the son of Abraham.
Abraham was the son of Terah.
Terah was the son of Nahor.
35 Nahor was the son of Serug.
Serug was the son of Reu.
Reu was the son of Peleg.
Peleg was the son of Eber.
Eber was the son of Shelah.
36 Shelah was the son of Cainan.
Cainan was the son of Arphaxad.
Arphaxad was the son of Shem.
Shem was the son of Noah.
Noah was the son of Lamech.
37 Lamech was the son of Methuselah.
Methuselah was the son of Enoch.
Enoch was the son of Jared.
Jared was the son of Mahalalel.
Mahalalel was the son of Kenan.
38 Kenan was the son of Enosh.
Enosh was the son of Seth.
Seth was the son of Adam.
Adam was the son of God.

Replies

• ThePinkAlligator
    Options
    I paid more attention to the names this time and didn't just brush over them... it was interesting to see Jesus' ancestry - how he descended from many great men discussed in the old testament. I do wonder if Simeon is the same Simeon that God promised would see the savior born. It's incredible that Jesus' ancestry is able to be traced all the way back to Adam - was this something done in that time period? Or was this rare for someone's ancestry to be known that many generations back?

Also of note - Herod publicly condemned Herod and was thrown in prison - I often wonder if I would be strong enough to do something like that, I don't think I would be, but I want to be. I want to serve God. I want him to work within my heart to make me want to serve him.

Throughout reading Luke I have seen scripture stating God favors and pleases those who strive to serve him. I want God to be pleased with me. I often think this isn't possible since I am a sinner, however, Zechariah pleased God, but obviously he sinned too. Can we please God? Jesus' death atoned for our sins so that God will view us as he viewed his son. If this is so, then that would mean I am dearly loved and I bring God joy - I do so hope this to be true.

Dear Lord,
    Please help me to bring you joy. Work within my heart, stir up a love for you, a desire for your Word, your people and your church. I want to please you Lord, I want to be strong and fearless for you. This weekend I am going to attend church, please open my heart and aid in my selection process, please ensure that nothing gets in my way, that I do attend and do not get distracted. Help me to meet others within your community, within your church. Thank you for your blessings today and everyday - I cannot believe that Ben is not making a claim, I wonder if he is a Christian, I wonder if I would be selfless enough to do the same thing if the situation were reversed. Please forgive my sins, my evil thoughts and work to change me, please come into my heart and change me, give me a desire for you. In Jesus' precious name I pray, Amen.
  • flowergirl45
    flowergirl45 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how SOAP all works but here goes.
    In applying this I see how Jesus was an actual person in history where God guided the people to record his lineage. The lineage goes all the way back to Adam and Eve. This is amazing and encouraging. God will carry forth his redemptive plan of salvation through to the end. We aren't left wondering what is going to happen. God is in control.

The Savior and Redeemer was promised through the Seed of the woman in Genesis
    So the LORD God said to the serpent: “Because you have done this, you are cursed more than all cattle, and more than every beast of the field; on your belly you shall go, and you shall eat dust all the days of your life. And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her Seed; He shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise His heel.” (Genesis 3:14–15)

The writer Luke also shows us that all 3 people of the trinity are at this event. The son is baptized, the Holy Spirit descends and the Father affirms his son.

Dear Jesus, Thank you that you came and was baptized to fulfill al the legal requirements of priesthood. You are the Holy Sinless One, the perfect Lamb of God who stepped into human history. Thank you for coming to save us from our sins. We praise you that you are our eternal high priest. In your name, Amen.
  • paulaj1887
    paulaj1887 Posts: 22
    Options
    Amen!:happy:
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Observation: When Herod was confronted by John about the things he had done wrong, He put John in Jail.

Application: There are times in my life where someone may confront me over a wrong I commited. It is wrong to retaliate againist that person

Prayer: father when I am in sin and am confronted about it, help me not to do as Herod but rather act mature and listen to what this brother/ or sister in Christ tells me and respond properly.
  • kimbershep
    kimbershep Posts: 72
    Options
    LUKE 3:19-38
    19 John also publicly criticized Herod Antipas, the ruler of Galilee, for marrying Herodias, his brother’s wife, and for many other wrongs he had done. 20 So Herod put John in prison, adding this sin to his many others. 21 One day when the crowds were being baptized, Jesus himself was baptized. As he was praying, the heavens opened, 22 and the Holy Spirit, in bodily form, descended on him like a dove. And a voice from heaven said, “You are my dearly loved Son, and you bring me great joy.”

OBSERVATION
    John didn't play around. He knew who Herod Antipas was, how evil and dangerous the family was, yet he knew above that that if he stood up for what is right and continue the work of the Lord, God will handle the situation. In relation to present time, don't be afraid to stand up for righteousness. John the Baptist didn't walk away. He didn't shut up and held his head down in defeat. He knew he already had the victory no matter what happened because he trusted God. Yes, he died (further reading) but with a cause and now his name/legacy is still being taught. The Lord empowers believers to"know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them that are called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28). Paul also wrote, "Our light affliction which is but for a moment, worth for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory." (I Cor 4:17) When its finally over, it won't be John that will suffer but Herod Antipas, his wife and all who didn't adhere to the word of God. John the Baptist was awesome! He was truly a hero of the faith!

Jesus knew when he was 12 what his mission here on earth was. He even asked his mom if she didn't know that he would be about His Father's business. At this point, 18 years later, he was ready to move forward. I believe the act of him coming to John the Baptist to be baptized was sort of a public announcement of him beginning his ministry openly. What better way to begin it...he showed himself humble enough to be baptized by John the Baptist and showed himself to the sinners there repenting of their sins. He was perfect so He really didn't need to repent or be baptized. He was baptized for the sins of the world...for you and I. He bore our sins and ended up taking it to the cross. He wanted to set the example and he started there, the baptism.

When the Holy Spirit descended on him in the form of a dove and God spoke, I can only imagine the heavenly, spiritual experience there. I would love to hear those words said to me by God...I am well pleased. From this moment on, Jesus actively paved the way making His life living an example for us to follow.

APPLICATION
    I will not waiver and continue to stand up for righteousness. I will continue to read the Word, pray and fast. I understand that when a person reads and understands the scriptures and applies them to their life, it unleashes the power of God to operate on his behalf.

PRAYER
    Heavenly Father, thank you for the great sacrifice of your dear Son. Thank you Lord Jesus, for being obedient, taking on our sins and laying down your life for us. Thank you for your Word that shows of plenty of examples of how we are to live and carry out your word just as Jesus did. Help your dear children to stay humble, faithful and strong to complete this walk and stand up for righteousness no matter what faces us. For we know that you are in control when it come to us that love you. In Jesus Christ name I pray, Amen.
  • kimbershep
    kimbershep Posts: 72
    Options
    This is awesome! I think it is possible for God to be pleased with us. He knows that we won't do everything right. There were examples in the bible of men that He loved (one you mentioned) and was pleased with but they failed; one being David. He messed up big time on more than on occasion but he made it right. God knew his heart and he did have a heart for him. Knowing this allows me to accept that I don't have to fall into self condemnation when I fall but recognize it, repent and work on it by reading the word to allow God to strengthen that area of my life. Another way of strength is surrounding yourself with like-minded believers. There you will receive so much encouragement and love. It helps a lot.
    I paid more attention to the names this time and didn't just brush over them... it was interesting to see Jesus' ancestry - how he descended from many great men discussed in the old testament. I do wonder if Simeon is the same Simeon that God promised would see the savior born. It's incredible that Jesus' ancestry is able to be traced all the way back to Adam - was this something done in that time period? Or was this rare for someone's ancestry to be known that many generations back?

Also of note - Herod publicly condemned Herod and was thrown in prison - I often wonder if I would be strong enough to do something like that, I don't think I would be, but I want to be. I want to serve God. I want him to work within my heart to make me want to serve him.

Throughout reading Luke I have seen scripture stating God favors and pleases those who strive to serve him. I want God to be pleased with me. I often think this isn't possible since I am a sinner, however, Zechariah pleased God, but obviously he sinned too. Can we please God? Jesus' death atoned for our sins so that God will view us as he viewed his son. If this is so, then that would mean I am dearly loved and I bring God joy - I do so hope this to be true.

Dear Lord,
    Please help me to bring you joy. Work within my heart, stir up a love for you, a desire for your Word, your people and your church. I want to please you Lord, I want to be strong and fearless for you. This weekend I am going to attend church, please open my heart and aid in my selection process, please ensure that nothing gets in my way, that I do attend and do not get distracted. Help me to meet others within your community, within your church. Thank you for your blessings today and everyday - I cannot believe that Ben is not making a claim, I wonder if he is a Christian, I wonder if I would be selfless enough to do the same thing if the situation were reversed. Please forgive my sins, my evil thoughts and work to change me, please come into my heart and change me, give me a desire for you. In Jesus' precious name I pray, Amen.