Discovering Food Allergies??

Options
Hello all! I am about to complete my 7th week of the Paleo lifestyle. I try to remain 100% Paelo, but have gone down to 85-90% some weeks due to cheats like GMO free popcorn (stove-popped with olive oil) and red wine.

Yesterday evening I attended a work and then family event with my boyfriend’s family. While I didn’t go overboard in my “cheats”, I did have about a teaspoon of this mango-coolwhip dipping (they said I *had* to try, so I dipped a grape in it – and yes, it was AWESOME) and about a Tbs of this other dairy-based veggie dip that was also supposedly amazing (it was). I also had my standards of cut veggies from the platter, grilled chicken, a bun-less slider, and a few meatballs in red sauce. Note: these were all made by a caterer, so I have no idea of all the ingredients that went into them.

Long story short, Oh My Goodness did it wreck havoc on my stomach last night! I was in pain, felt nauseous, etc. Meanwhile everyone else who had the same thing as I did was perfectly fine.

So, my question is – is this possible food allergies/lactose intolerance that has been semi-diagnosed from removal/reintroduction to my diet?

Replies

• ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I absolutely think eating better allows you to identify food allergies/sensitivities!

Since eating better, sugary foods can throw me for a loop. I think it's worse for me since I have hypoglycemia, but the smallest piece of processed candy gives me a headache and I feel like crap. I don't feel that way when I eat my homemade cookies or other baked goods.

Since cutting down on dairy, I realized I'm sensitive to it. It's a lot better when it's organic dairy (I think it's the hormones which my body doesn't like) but still, milkshakes, too much ice cream etc. can make me sick. Stomachache and a headache, and my poor intestines feel like they're doing somersaults.

I love learning these things though!!
  • nynvilva
    nynvilva Posts: 54
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah, I felt TERRIBLE. Since I had a few items (albeit low in quantity) that are not a part of my standard Paleo diet, I cannot truly identify exactly WHAT caused the issues, but nevertheless, I will be continuing to avoid those things!!
  • wibamagirl
    wibamagirl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Me too.I made some home made brownies for the guys in the shop,ate two of them and had major stomach cramps for two days and the bathroom was my constant companion.I think once you clean the crap from your system that it doesn't tolerate junk anymore.That's a good sign ..Kind of changes how you look at junk food and if the taste is worth the pain.It's not worth it to me.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    If I eat grains, I can guarantee my joints and shoulders will hurt for 3 days.
    (oddly enough, after switching to paleo - I used to have a horrible cheese and milk allergy - that one went away)
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You are probably on to something. It could be dairy, but also consider that the meatballs definitely had wheat in them since caterers would add that to make them go farther. So it could be a gluten issue. The elimination and reintroduction is the best way to tell short of major tests. Good luck!
  • nynvilva
    nynvilva Posts: 54
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I am glad to know I am not the only one that this has happened to! It does amaze me how the body is and reacts to things. It's as if while we're eating right, our body thanks us by giving us more energy, feeling genuinely better (i.e. I used to have heartburn almost EVERY day - now on Paleo: never), etc. But when we consume something bad for us, our bodies revolt. It's actually kind of an awesome thing and reminder.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    You are probably on to something. It could be dairy, but also consider that the meatballs definitely had wheat in them since caterers would add that to make them go farther. So it could be a gluten issue. The elimination and reintroduction is the best way to tell short of major tests. Good luck!

This. The meatballs and the sauces. This is how I found I have a gluten intolerance. I can tolerate small amounts (like from cross contamination), but anything else is just not worth the stomach pains, headaches, etc. My symptoms vary depending on source and amount.